Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
Stircrazy

Door Lock Warranty

I have a 2016 330 rbk and the dealer has already replaced the main door handle assembly 3 times, it went again and I have the 4th handle sitting here, I was going to install it myself as it is a whopping 4 bolts to install but the dealer said if I do I wont have warranty on it anymore. I sent Keystone an email asking if this was correct but a2 months later I still haven't received a reply. I could understand not having a labour warranty on that part anymore if I install it myself but I should still have the part warranty to my thinking.

anyone dealt with this before? it just seams a pain to hook up and ove the Rv there for a 10 min job.

thanks
Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

After one year Keystone does not warranty the item. The dealership then processes the warranty with the manufacturer of the product. You might want to contact the lock manufacturer rather than Keystone and ask them that question. If you need help finding a phone number or an email address, post that request and someone will locate the manufacturer's contact info for you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
dcg9381

I had great support from lock/latch manufacturers on a Jayco. As the manufacturer - they are (at the end of the day) providing the parts that are being warrantied.

After 1 year, I'm not sure that your dealer's labor is covered.

What is it that is failing for the 4th time within a year? Doesn't sound like a dealer screw up.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
bobbecky

Our original door lock/handle assembly broke late last year after five years of full time use. I replaced it with a new one, and it isn't rocket science to remove the old one and install the new one. Sounds like the dealer is jerking your chain trying to get some labor charges out of you. I would be buying a different brand assembly than the one you've been using.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:00 AM   #5
Stircrazy

this is all being covered by keystone as it is the same issue ongoing, the design of the lock set they used has a severely pinched area of the key and it has broke three times with minimal use, also the lock cylinders have fallen out on two.

they ae trying to get them to supply a new door with a standard lock cut out so they can put a proven lock set in.

Steve
Old 03-04-2018, 06:27 AM   #6
jsmith948

IMHO - I have learned that our trailer is no where near as sturdy (heavy duty) as a sticks & bricks or even a "top of the line" RV. The doors are built light because they are attached to a light weight aluminum door frame. These doors are not meant to be slammed shut. We push ours closed until we hear/feel it latch. The lock mechanism is stamped light gauge steel with some "pot metal" moving parts. When locking the dead bolt with the key, it is necessary to push in on the door slightly to reduce the amount of "torque" required to turn the key. I think if we were to just try to force the deadbolt to slide by turning the key only (without pushing in on the door), the key would probably break off in the lock. So - easy does it. We have learned - from this forum and, sometimes the hard way, that if we are gentle with the cabinets, doors, drawers, fixtures, etc., etc., etc., everything seems to hold up better.
If you have had 5 locks fail, something is amiss. It is either latch/lock alignment - you have had 5 defective locksets (unlikely) - or the locks are not properly installed or lubricated. Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:41 AM   #7
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
If you have had 5 locks fail, something is amiss. It is either latch/lock alignment - you have had 5 defective locksets (unlikely) - or the locks are not properly installed or lubricated. Just sayin'
I do everything you have said, these are not failing after a year of abuse two failed the first time they were used, the last two we managed to get a week into the holidays and then again a month later at the dealer for the last one. the first and last were the cylinder fell out of the lock and the middle two were the key broke off. even the lock smith couldn't understand why they would build a key like that. when I talked to the company that supplied the lock sets they said they have 110 different key patterns, and the last one I got that i am waiting for better weather to get put in isn't near as pinched at the previous ones were so hopefully this will be the last. the problem is they were putting deep tumbler cuts on the key directly across from each other, which was reducing the blade thickness of the key to about 1/8th of an inch creating an extremely weak spot in the key. even the dealer has said they are seeing about one of these locksets a week and now they are keeping 5 in stock.

Steve
Old 03-13-2018, 07:06 AM   #8
jsmith948

It's too bad that you have had so many issues with these door locks. If all the locks have been by the same manufacturer, maybe you should try a different brand? You might have to pay out of pocket but is the warranty (free) replacement worth the aggravation?
Buy a different brand lock so you can enjoy your camper.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:44 AM   #9
Jonas

I think you need to explore other options. I replaced mine with a push button lock. I would at least change brands. Your time and sanity is worth way more than a cheapo warranty replacement lock.

2016 F150 4X4 - EcoBoost - 3:55's - rear locker - 9500# winch
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
I think you need to explore other options. I replaced mine with a push button lock. I would at least change brands. Your time and sanity is worth way more than a cheapo warranty replacement lock.

we looked into that, the only way we can do that is to order a whole new door as the lock set that is in there requires a bigger cut out than any on the market. the dealer tried to get cougar to spring for a new door but no luck yet.

Steve

Tags
warranty