Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #41
vmyoung61

We have always used them. We use the green pods. Never had a problem with them not dissolving. Never had any problems. Will keep using them. “If it ain’t broke. Don’t fix it.”
vmyoung61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:00 AM   #42
vmyoung61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acaines View Post
Enzymes are 0-9
Packets are 1-5.

Very informative.
I didn’t specify. The pods we use are enzymes. You may need to redo, as a lot of the pods are enzymes.
vmyoung61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #43
Batsman53

Our tank indicators for both black and grey would never show empty even after continued flushing using several methods. My dad who's owned multiple RV platforms since 1960 said use cheap dishwasher detergent and about 5 gallons of water. Add it before driving to your next campground, once there drain your holding tanks and everything should be fine and he was right! We've never had a problem again. Plus he'd only use Aqua-Kem for his black tank and we do now. I guess 58 years of rving can't be to wrong.
Batsman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #44
apachewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acaines View Post
Enzymes for black tank necessary or not? If so, how often?

I've seen where people recommend them and others say they never use them and have no troubles.

We've not used our black tank yet but the indicator is showing 2/3 full. I'm thinking of treating with an enzyme then getting a tank sprayer in there. I'm pretty confident the bank we bought it from made sure the tanks were empty. They did a good job of cleaning otherwise. They even winterized the water lines. I figure this is all part of cleaning a repo.
I don't use anything except when we store the trailer for a long period of time. In our LAREDO the bathroom sink drain directly into the black tank. That fills it much faster than our old LANCE where we could go a week before emptying the black tank. Here it needs to be emptied every day or every other day. But there is so much liquid in the tank that it all flows out. And yes I use a see-thru sewer sleeve so that it is all visible on the way out.

Happy camping to all.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #45
rdemore

We dump fabric softener each time we empty. I does the best job of anything we have tried to eliminate odor. I dont plan on leaving it full long enough for the other stuff to matter.
rdemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #46
JWS

Do the chemicals work? Absolutely. Do I use them? For convenience no. When traveling I can go in any grocery store or dollar store and pick up a gal of bleach and fabric softener. The thought is bleach kills odor and softener makes the plastic slick to let everything slide out. I use about 1 cup bleach and 1 cap full from softener per tank. I also buy the cheapest toilet paper for the camper cause it dissolves quicker. Have had no odor problems even on the hottest days.
JWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #47
shermris

I've never really thought about if they're needed. I just use them without question after I've run water in my black tank. They're suppose to help break down any solids and prevent smell from the tanks. I don't think smell would be a problem but I figure for the small cost of the treatment it may help eliminate the chance for build up in the bottom of my black tank. I have a few pods, but have always used the liquid stuff because they don't need to dissolve. I'm surprised by the number of people who say they don't use them, I always thought it was SOP. I'll probably keep treating my tank regardless.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #48
notanlines

Most blue-hairs snowbirding in Florida wouldn't even give a thought to pads, pods, caps-full, cups-full, or any of the like. I asked at a happy hour before our pot luck yesterday about odor control and all I got was "Where is your leak? Where's the smell coming from?" Then I explained what our topic is here and everyone who was part of the conversation wanted to know why people were getting odor inside.
Blanch earlier in this thread said that the only time odor should come in is if you run the exhaust fan with the bathroom door shut tight. They were absolutely correct.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #49
dsmmallen

I am a full timer now for about 7 months. I will say not to waste your money on any of the dissolving black tank enzyme pods. They do not do much at all. The best black tank product on the market is “Happy Camper” black tank treatment. No smell with a full black tank, no smell from sewer hose even when dumping the black tank and the tank sensors also stay clean and reading properly.
dsmmallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #50
newemptynester

We have always used the liquid in ours. Never had a problem.
newemptynester is offline   Reply With Quote