Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a lot of variables in your question that aren't covered.

1. What protection is there on that 50 amp plug? Is there a 50 amp breaker or is it simply a plug wired to another supply?

2. What else in that doublewide is powered by the plug? Possibly, only the residential refrigerator was on at the time, but what about the water heater, cooking range/oven, heat/AC??? Those items can (and probably will) overload a 50 amp connection. Most doublewides with gas appliances have at least a 100 amp main panel, doublewides with electric water heaters/cooking appliances usually have 200 amp main panels. Attempting to run that doublewide AND your trailer on a single 50 amp source is going to be woefully inadequate.

3. Depending on how that 50 amp plug is wired and how your "50 amp Y" is wired, you may (or may not) have a phasing issue with your trailer shore power cable. Changing the plug to work with your trailer may cause issues with the doublewide, so make sure any "physical wiring changes" consider both "end users".....

Can you make it work? Certainly, that's a yes. But you may have limitations that make it impractical. Look at the "big picture" of running two houses on a single 50 amp plug...... That's not an ideal situation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #22
Laredo Tugger

The double wide is unoccupied and the water heater and stove are gas. Yes there is a 50 amp breaker. The Autoformer will analyze the connection prior to hooking up to the 5er. If there are any issues I can run on generator a few days and get an electrician to check any faulty connections. Essentially I would be sharing the 50 amp with one refer in a unoccupied home. I will make sure wiring is correct before connecting to the trailer.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:50 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

If the doublewide is not occupied, then, as you say, you'll be sharing the 50 amp plug with a residential refrigerator (probably 15 amps max on one leg of the plug). If that's all the doublewide will draw from the connection, you should be good to go without any issues. Depending on which leg that refrigerator is on, you may find one side of your trailer supply is "touchy".... Otherwise, I don't see a problem as long as phasing is correct.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #24
Laredo Tugger

Thanks JRTJH.
A evaluation by an electrician is my first order of business. If the double wide is occupied for a short time I can either run my generator (30 +15 amps) or do the same off of 30 amp and 15 amp plugs near the trailer.
Either way a check out of the system will be done.
Thanks
RMc
Old 12-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #25
wiredgeorge

You might want to buy an all weather box, some 4 ga wire, another 50A double pole breaker and a new 50a plug and just wire in a new 50A outlet and hang it on the same pole. I live out in the country and do this type stuff myself but if you are more comfy with an electrician doing this stuff, can't imagine it would cost a ton of money. I don't think a Y from a single 50A outlet seems to be a good idea but I am not a pro.

http://crushtheroad.com/how-to-wire-a-50-amp-rv-plug/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #26
Laredo Tugger

wiredgeorge,
Not being my property and the extended stay I am planning which my friends will not charging me for, I think your suggestion done by a professional is the best call. My experience with electrical installation is minimal,especially with the "big stuff" 220V/50 amp. I do not want to damage any existing power supplies or my trailer.
A note: There is one all weather box for 30 amp and one for 50 amp service already mounted. I suppose another could be added?
Thanks
RMc
Old 12-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Just thinking out loud here: If the only thing in the doublewide is the refrigerator and the doublewide is plugged into the 50 amp plug, why not move it to the 30 amp plug, then use the 50 amp plug for your trailer and, when you leave, switch the doublewide back to the 50 amp circuit??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #28
Laredo Tugger

JRTJH, A viable option indeed. I will not be at the site until around June but my friend can check to see if that is possible.
Thanks
RMc