Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
busterbrown

Carlisle trailer tires now made on US soil?

A discussion on another internet forum has me believing that Carlstar Group has repositioned/relocated their manufacturing arm for the Carlisle Radial Trail HD brand to the United States (Tennessee I believe). A forum member recently bought a set that had "Made in the USA" stamped on the sidewall. Definitively, I'd like to see a plant code/site code. Just curious if this is something new for 2018. I've been reading that they recently invested millions in their Tennessee manufacturing site.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:41 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I checked their web site about 1.5 years ago. Then it stated some tires made in US. The tires I needed where made in China, I never went through their products to learn which tires are made where. I wonder if they really are leaving their factory in China or just increasing their production.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I checked their web site about 1.5 years ago. Then it stated some tires made in US. The tires I needed where made in China, I never went through their products to learn which tires are made where. I wonder if they really are leaving their factory in China or just increasing their production.
Tires have a lot of information about themselves printed right on their sidewalls, including the country where they were made and the actual manufacturing plant in that country. The underlined 8D in the picture below is the plant code for HANGZHOU GENERAL RUBBER FACTORY, Jiande, China which can be found in the plant code reference. That's a Westlake tire.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29710
http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm

On Edit: The plant code on Every Carlisle ST tire I've personally inspected have had code "AQ"; CARLISLE TIRE & WHEEL CO. LTD. - MEIXIAN, GUANGDONG, China.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
AbbyinTN

Yes, old thread but tires are always relevant. Carlisle has a manufacturing facility in Clinton, TN and a newer plant in Jackson, TN. But the "Trail" tire is still manufactured in China. Hankook has built a huge plant here in Clarksville, TN close to where I reside. Their tires have a minimum of 14 ply and a G rating. But I believe this tire is still manufactured in South Korea...at least it isn't the commies. Does anyone else run a G load rating or is this overkill?
AbbyinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:55 PM   #5
travelin texans

Had GY 16" Gs & upgraded to Sailun 17.5" Hs, not overkill for me.
Also don't want to be part of the 100 page discussions of the best rv tire, I have what I want & am very happy with the choice.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Old Mustanger

Our Alpine came with G rated tires.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:03 AM   #7
rsl

I like tires, Tires are good
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Our Alpine came with G rated tires.
You know, there can be a lot of differences in a statement like that. A LT235/85R16 LRG has a maximum load capacity of 3750# @ 110 PSI. The ST235/85R16 LRG has a maximum load capacity 4400# @ 110 PSI. Both are trailer tires and steel cased.

The Keystone specs show all Alpine models coming with the ST tires. However, GY has those LTs in just about all of their retail outlets and I'm pretty sure some of the earlier Alpine models were equipped with them or one of the knock-off brands.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:24 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Tires? Tires?, Tires?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:34 AM   #10
itat

Tires - or any product for that matter - made in the USA or Canada are not an automatic guarantee of good quality although they are good for the local economy. We can all think of domestic products that are inferior to the same product from oversees be it Asia or Europe. Cars are a perfect example. I refuse to buy another car from the Big 3 and I live in a community where GM and their feeder companies are a major employer. It all depends on what the company paying for the build wants to specify for quality. My Maxxis ST trailer tires are good quality and made in Thailand.

Edit: I’ve had Carlisle ST tires before and would buy them again.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:46 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Tires - or any product for that matter - made in the USA or Canada are not an automatic guarantee of good quality although they are good for the local economy. We can all think of domestic products that are inferior to the same product from oversees be it Asia or Europe. Cars are a perfect example. I refuse to buy another car from the Big 3 and I live in a community where GM and their feeder companies are a major employer. It all depends on what the company paying for the build wants to specify for quality. My Maxxis ST trailer tires are good quality and made in Thailand.

Edit: I’ve had Carlisle ST tires before and would buy them again.
Ironic you don't consider made in USA superior but do believe in the reverse of that blanket statement. Like it or not it's a global economy. Many "foreign cars" are made in the states. A LOT of the components in the "big 3" (which by the way only Ford is owned by an American company) are produced outside of the states. The only guaranteed ""Made in the USA" product is a local artisan using local materials only. JMHO
Old 11-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
(which by the way only Ford is owned by an American company) MJMHO
And about 1/2 are assembled north & south of the borders.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Ironic you don't consider made in USA superior but do believe in the reverse of that blanket statement. Like it or not it's a global economy. Many "foreign cars" are made in the states. A LOT of the components in the "big 3" (which by the way only Ford is owned by an American company) are produced outside of the states. The only guaranteed ""Made in the USA" product is a local artisan using local materials only. JMHO

Whooooaaa!! Are you telling me that those beautiful eggs my neighbor's hen keeps popping out, and given to me, isn't "Made in the USA"?? It IS a product...right? Then again, like Danny observed, maybe "1/2" of their origin is north or south of the border???
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Whooooaaa!! Are you telling me that those beautiful eggs my neighbor's hen keeps popping out, and given to me, isn't "Made in the USA"?? It IS a product...right? Then again, like Danny observed, maybe "1/2" of their origin is north or south of the border???
I think the hens are local artisans and the food they eat is US grown.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:48 AM   #15
itat

Quote:
I think if you re-read my post you’ll realize that’s not what I said at all. I never said that I think foreign-made products are a guarantee either. I’ve consistently said on this and other forums that the quality of a product is dependent entirely on what the company paying for the manufacture demands. It does’t matter where the product was made - USA, Canada, China, Thailand, wherever - its the design and the quality standards used in the manufacture.

Our Toyota RAV4 is made here in Ontario and is a good quality vehicle. My Maxxis ST trailer tires are made in Thailand and are a good quality product. You can easily find domestic and foreign made products that are crap.

I said I won’t buy another domestic car (and I mean cars, not trucks - I own a F-250) because my experience has been that the Toyota and Nissan cars I’ve owned have been far superior to the Big 3’s cars I’ve owned. (I owned a Honda once and it was good but cost of ownership was similar to a GM.) Plus domestic car dealerships have been far inferior to Toyota and Nissan dealerships I my experience.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I think if you re-read my post you’ll realize that’s not what I said at all. I never said that I think foreign-made products are a guarantee either. I’ve consistently said on this and other forums that the quality of a product is dependent entirely on what the company paying for the manufacture demands. It does’t matter where the product was made - USA, Canada, China, Thailand, wherever - its the design and the quality standards used in the manufacture.

Our Toyota RAV4 is made here in Ontario and is a good quality vehicle. My Maxxis ST trailer tires are made in Thailand and are a good quality product. You can easily find domestic and foreign made products that are crap.

I said I won’t buy another domestic car (and I mean cars, not trucks - I own a F-250) because my experience has been that the Toyota and Nissan cars I’ve owned have been far superior to the Big 3’s cars I’ve owned. (I owned a Honda once and it was good but cost of ownership was similar to a GM.) Plus domestic car dealerships have been far inferior to Toyota and Nissan dealerships I my experience.
"Methinks" there's a bit of "doublespeak" in the bolded part. By "doublespeak" I mean to say "what you consider a domestic car".... Take a look at this "easy to view (lots of pictures) article. While not a "peer reviewed article" it demonstrates that Toyota, Nissan, Honda and some Acura cars (not trucks) are made exclusively in the US and Canada. Additionally, some BMW models are produced exclusively in the Spartansburg, TN plant and are exported to Germany (and other overseas points) where they are sold as "imports". In the US, they aren't "imports" and they are "purely domestic produced cars" (although all the money goes to Japan or Germany). I found it interesting that the article states, "The Camry is one of the most domestic of all cars with 80% of its contents being of US origin"... Take your pick on where your Camry is built, there are two US assembly plants, one in Kentucky and one in Indiana...
https://www.odometer.com/rides/23245...ngly-domestic/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:04 AM   #17
Javi

As a designer in an American owned manufacturing plant I must say that pretty much all of y'all would be surprised at what we ship to other countries that come back to the USA as assembled goods... ie… imports
Old 11-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

For msny decades Warehouser has been shipping NP timber to Japan where it's made into plywood and shipped back tp the states. Back in the late 60's Ford was builing cars in Canada (anyone remember the 351 c.i. Windsor and Cleveland?) It's been a global economy every since the first foreign invaders stepped foot in North America.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:36 AM   #19
itat

JRTJH, I don’t know why my last post wouldn’t be clear. Look at the paragraph before the one that you bolded. I know that “foreign” manufacturers assemble some of their vehicles in the USA and Canada. My RAV4 was built here Woodstock, Ontario and my previous Camry was built in Kentucky (I think?).

For me “domestic car” means a car built by GM, Fiat-Chrysler or Ford - the “Big 3” domestic companies. Not only are their cars lesser quality than the Japanese ones I’ve owned but the (Toyota and Nissan) dealers are better too. I found the local Honda dealer to be arrogant.

Please re-read my previous posts. I said its not the country of manufacture that’s the problem, its the company designing and spec’ing the vehicle.

If someone passionately claims that “Made in the USA” automatically means quality that’s very ironic on an RV forum!
Old 11-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
JRTJH, I don’t know why my last post wouldn’t be clear. Look at the paragraph before the one that you bolded. I know that “foreign” manufacturers assemble some of their vehicles in the USA and Canada. My RAV4 was built here Woodstock, Ontario and my previous Camry was built in Kentucky (I think?).

For me “domestic car” means a car built by GM, Fiat-Chrysler or Ford - the “Big 3” domestic companies. Not only are their cars lesser quality than the Japanese ones I’ve owned but the (Toyota and Nissan) dealers are better too. I found the local Honda dealer to be arrogant.

Please re-read my previous posts. I said its not the country of manufacture that’s the problem, its the company designing and spec’ing the vehicle.

If someone passionately claims that “Made in the USA” automatically means quality that’s very ironic on an RV forum!
This is why I posted my comments about "doublespeak".... If you're still living in the early 1980's, your definition of "domestic cars" is correct. Today, that line is significantly blurred and the definition has dramatically changed. Domestic cars no longer means "built by Ford, GM or Chrysler". It means, "assembled in the US and containing more than 75% US origin parts" BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Kia Motors, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Subaru, Tesla Motors, Toyota Motor Corporation, and Volkswagen are defined as "domestic manufacturers.

If you go back and read my post, I started it with, ""Methinks" there's a bit of "doublespeak" in the bolded part. By "doublespeak" I mean to say "what you consider a domestic car"...." IMHO, your definition of "domestic car" is no longer the accepted meaning.

Sort of like saying "Jets aren't airplanes, airplanes have propellers" That definition might have been correct in the 1940's (when jets were often confused with rocket ships), but not today.... Same with "domestic cars"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires