Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #21
JackTyniec

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I had not seen this post for some reason. Flybouy is right. Your initial post said the trailer was an 8400 lb. unit; that is incorrect. It is a 10,500 lb. unit. Maximum trailer weight for your Armada is 9000 lbs. IF you have the optional tow package. Maximum tongue weight is 900 lbs. (the dry tongue weight exceeds this by almost 300 lbs. - 1165) Maximum gcwr is 14,800 lbs. All listed weights are with the optional tow package. That trailer is too much for your vehicle - by an appreciable margin.
All that is not taking into account an almost 37' trailer being towed behind an Armada....

You said the Armada has worked "fine" in the past and you know it is marginal. It's not "marginal", it is overloaded. That would be bad enough on a LWB pickup but on a short wheelbase SUV it's - well, bad decision making. You said you've made basically short trips but your trip to FL in January "will tell the tale". What tale? The tale of the family that took off with a trailer far too large for the tow vehicle knowingly then crashed and burned on the highway along with fellow travelers because you were going to see how far you could go with it? I would suggest you actually THINK through what you are doing. And, I would bet you are still running P rated tires on that Armada....right?

Now, about that mattress. Forget the topper (I know some love them), I've tried them and found that a new premium mattress will absolutely fix that problem. Unlike airbags, new shocks etc. for the Armada.

Not to come down too hard but it seems obvious that you aren't aware of the issues you face IMO.

A couple of links you might find informational/helpful:

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2018-...-32rli-tr34962

https://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpu...owingGuide.pdf
Thanks for your reply and concerns. I agree that I'm running over the recommended hitch weight but I was doing that for 4 years with my prior trailer for over 15k miles. The car is lightly loaded and heavy items (tools mostlY) are in stowed the back of the trailer. We do use a weight distributing hitch and the TV has air bladders in the back suspension as well as the factory supplied tow package. As to trailer weight, the gross weight rating is 10.5k, but I'm running a lot closer to 9k since I run with all water tanks dry. I had no problems on the 600 mi. trip from Lexington, KY or in trips to Cape Cod and elsewhere this year. On the trip from KY in April, we went through the mountains of western PA during light snow & 30 mph gusts. I kept the vehicle at 40-45 mph with my flashers on with no problems at all. Not going to change the vehicle; a pickup won't fit in the garage and that's where we like to keep them. Will be upgrading to a newer Expedition during the next couple of years; its tow rating is 9.3k. Thanks again for your advice and concern. I'll post here if I have problems.
JackTyniec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags