Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #41
wiredgeorge

Everyone leans toward a couple of brands of these gizmos. Has anyone used a Camco?
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../CAM55301.html

The Camco unit seems to do much the same thing as the brands mentioned here and costs quite a bit less.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:08 AM   #42
Snoking

Sometimes buying the cheaper item cost more over the long run. PI has a documented history of being a great product and quickly providing help and replacement if needed. Chris
Old 09-14-2018, 07:21 AM   #43
wiredgeorge

PI was just sold to another company and they are now manufacturing in Mexico from what I heard. I was hoping to hear from someone who actually had used one of the Camco units. Thanks
Old 09-14-2018, 07:49 AM   #44
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Everyone leans toward a couple of brands of these gizmos. Has anyone used a Camco?
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../CAM55301.html

The Camco unit seems to do much the same thing as the brands mentioned here and costs quite a bit less.
Biggest difference I see at first blush is the statement from the Q$A section "spoke to my contact at Camco and he informed me that the Camco RV Power Defender Voltage Analyzer # CAM55310 that you referenced offers 1,050 joules of surge protection but it's primary function is to determine if a power outlet/pedestal is wired correctly. " Low number on joules. And Amazon has it at $181 if you have Prime. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Protect...-20&ref=sr_1_1
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Although currently not in stock, there is a company that sells Progressive Industries components for a very reasonable price. As an example, they currently have the "external PI 30 amp EMS" on sale for $99. As I said, they are out of stock, but are honoring the sale price when they get more stock. The PI EMS-PT30C typically sells for $250 -$300, so buying it for $99 is a "steal".... http://www.ecspremier.com/30-Amp-Por...lectrical.html

They also have the 30 amp hardwired EMS on sale for $99. It is NOT the model with the remote monitor. This model has the monitor panel built into the actual device. http://www.ecspremier.com/30-Amp-Har...HW30_p_47.html

Seems to me (YMMV) buying a CAMCO look-alike for more than the original can be found doesn't make a lot of "budget sense".....

DISCLAIMER: I have no interest in this company, but I have purchased items from them online. I have no complaints with their service or products.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:04 AM   #46
Snoking

Quote:
PI was just sold to another company and they are now manufacturing in Mexico from what I heard. I was hoping to hear from someone who actually had used one of the Camco units. Thanks
http://www.park-power.com/en/news/pr...e-announcement

Above is info on who purchased PI. I do not see the new the owners(Marinco) as a problem, they are a leader in the marine and RV power systems.

http://www.marinco.com/en

FWIW my two or three Taco RAMs have been good rigs.

I would bet the Camco unit is not made in America, think china.

Chris
Old 09-14-2018, 08:17 AM   #47
travelin texans

I have no experience with the Camco surge protector, I have the PI & it has saved us more than once!
When I hear "Camco" all that comes to mind is cheaper rv stuff sold a Wal-Mart, which I've bought plenty of.
If you buy it, post it on here & then we can say "yea, so & so has one" the next time someone mentions it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #48
wiredgeorge

I was just asking if anyone had used a Camco. I know where Camco stuff is likely made and what the quality implication is. I have owned and now own quite a few Camco products... they are like a bowl of chocolates, so to speak hence my asking for a first hand. I put myself on the ECS Premier waiting list to see if they get back on the PI unit.

PI units are now made in Mexico. They used to be made in the States. They have also reduced customer service support hours. Does this mean that the company or product is not at the same standard? Dunno but when a company takes that direction, it generally is cause for concern to some extent.

I did read the Amazon reviews and the PI unit is more highly rated than a Camco as folks mentioned moisture issues (they are "water resistant" and not water proof) and DOAs or death shortly after purchase. Kind of take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt as a much higher percentage of irritated consumers post these things as opposed to folks who find no issues.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #49
flybouy
Site Team

Disclaimer - I'm not putting anyone down, just my feeble attempt at joviality.

I already have a PI ems, but if I was considering the Camco unit I'd buy a can of Black Krylon and paint it. That Camco yellow just screams "Here I am! Come take me!"
Old 09-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #50
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Disclaimer - I'm not putting anyone down, just my feeble attempt at joviality.

I already have a PI ems, but if I was considering the Camco unit I'd buy a can of Black Krylon and paint it. That Camco yellow just screams "Here I am! Come take me!"
Hope you are not referring to me. I took all the comments in this thread and mull them over. I do appreciate when folks who actually own something I am asking about take the time and give a first hand review; good or bad. Problem is, if anyone actually has purchased a Camco ems-type gizmo, they would probably be a bit shy about admitting it. And as far as Joules go, what the heck is that? I know what jewels are; my wife loves them!
Old 09-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #51
wiredgeorge

Oh, and I called ECS Premier to find out how long the back log was expect. Talked with Jennifer and she told me they were discontinued and their store wouldn't be stocking them in the future. Back to the drawing board!
Old 09-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #52
wiredgeorge

Last dumb question. What is the difference between the EMS-PT30C and the EMS-PT30X? One has a cover over the outlet... is that it?
Old 09-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #53
Snoking

Quote:
Hope you are not referring to me. I took all the comments in this thread and mull them over. I do appreciate when folks who actually own something I am asking about take the time and give a first hand review; good or bad. Problem is, if anyone actually has purchased a Camco ems-type gizmo, they would probably be a bit shy about admitting it. And as far as Joules go, what the heck is that? I know what jewels are; my wife loves them!
"Energy absorption/dissipation - This rating, given in joules, tells you how much energy the surge protector can absorb before it fails. A higher number indicates greater protection."
Old 09-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #54
AbHDToyHauler

I bought the Progressive internal 50 amp for our trailer and mounted the remote beside the breaker panel. Works fantastic. Has found some problems I wouldn't have notice immediately but could have been deadly. A friend loaned us his large heavy duty power cord at one park. PI unit didn't like it. Said "No Ground" I checked cord , sure enough ground wire was broken. Only thing I think I would have done different is mount the remote on other side of wall in kitchen as I am always watching what amps we are pulling when we turn things on and off. Would save me a trip to the garage to check it. LOL By the way we are still kind of newbies and bought this unit on recommendations from this site. Works great. Good advice. Thanks
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #55
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Not all referring to you, and X2 on the jewels. My DW has a Mr. T starter set on her left hand as well!
Old 09-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #56
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Not all referring to you, and X2 on the jewels. My DW has a Mr. T starter set on her left hand as well!
You best buy your honey a big stone if she lets you buy a diesel truck! bwhahahaha
Old 09-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #57
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
You best buy your honey a big stone if she lets you buy a diesel truck! bwhahahaha
She has many. For years I would by here some baubles for our wedding anniversary and I would by a new gun. Her fingers and the gun cabinets got full so we started going on cruises instead.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #58
KimNTerry

We have the camco surge protector. We only use it a 1 or 2 times a year as we prefer boondocking and dry camping to RV parks. The 30 amp PI hard wired model has been on the wishlist for years. But it's after solar and a lot of other things.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #59
bobbecky

We had a PI surge arrestor for several years until a voltage problem occurred from the utility, which caused both of our cable boxes to fail, but there was no surge for the device to protect from. After buying two new cable boxes, the next purchase was the 50 amp hard wired PI EMS which has functioned numerous time due to voltage issues, either from the park pedestal or one time due to a broken ground prong on our shore cable. I would think the PI EMS would take priority over solar, so you don't have electrical damage to your rig before solar is installed.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #60
sconner

I also have a Progressive Industries 30amp. I recommend the hard wired with the remote that shows power usage. It’s really nice to know what takes how much power so you don’t blow things. I’ve had mine for about 4years now with no issues. Their portable version is also a quality unit.
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote