Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
CampNBrew2

Finally Joined

Hello All,
Not new to camping or RVing but new to this forum since we have a new-to-us 2013 Premier 22RBPR. Have spent days reading through whats already here and looking forward to talking with you all.
Heres my brain-dump on this trailer so far.
Some long winded background you may want to skip 😊:
I had been looking at trailers since October. We had a 2005 Attitude 19FK toy hauler for about 8 years that we loved everything about except for the old school drop down bed. We’re just getting too old to climb that ladder and climb over each other. Lots of things I’ll deeply miss about the toy hauler (10k GVRW and heavy duty components, 100g water, fuel station, built in genny, wide open views and airflow out the back, etc) but didn’t want a trailer longer than 26’ so compromised to a TT. We knew we wanted the walkaround bed and toy haulers are just too long once you get a fixed bed.
We couldn’t afford a new trailer. Really wanted the Cougar 21RBSWE or similar floorplan, with this floorplan a close second. Just could not find a Cougar for a good price, or couldn’t catch them before they were gone. Put an offer on a 17’ Passport with the same floorplan but it seemed really stripped down and the dealer would not come down from their extremely high price. So we took one last road trip in the toy hauler (OR,WA,ID, MT, NV, with 6 days in Glacier NP).
Got back and started looking again. Found this trailer right in town at CW. It was older than I hoped but realized they have been made the same for years now. Plus I hate that all the noses are black now- seems it would add heat and the sun will tear them up in no time. This one is white. Its very clean, no signs of leaks or damage and got a good deal on it. I was prepared for a fight with CW since they don’t have a good reputation from what I can see online and have experienced firsthand. They did everything they said they were going to do and then some. I was shocked. 5 new tires, 2 new (actual true deep cycle) batteries, new door struts, new trailer connector cable, and painted the tongue and bumper. It was already clean but they detailed it and shined it up. Stoked! Walkthrough at pickup was from the tech who did all the work. I am very picky and he answered every question I had at the time.

Background over. So here we are and I have many observations.
-Brochure I found for this year model said LED lights and 8 Cu Ft fridge of which it has neither. I was bummed about that. We always did fine with our 6’ fridge so no issue. Concerned that it’s a derelict Atwood Helium but have read up on them and the fuse and board issues so know what to watch for.
-I just bought all LEDs to replace every lamp. It will be fun to amp the load before and after. Will look into the dimmers posted here after I see how bright they actually are.
-Reading about the Premier bathroom and outdoor kitchen sinks going to the black tank. Not too pleased about that and may even look into rerouting if it becomes an issue.
-The black tank flush connection is at the rear of the trailer, with the line going into the bathroom cabinet, seems ridiculous and a good way to have a leak ruin your day. Was this location chosen to keep the line from freezing in cold weather? I’ll re-route that line and the backflow next to the dump valves where I can connect easily. I have a wye hose splitter that I connect to flush the clear waste elbow and the black tank flush. I connect it all up and flush while dumping. The less time spent with the Stinky Slinky the better!
-The outdoor kitchen huge hatch door does not even raise up to level (almost). I’m only 5’8 and have to watch my head. The struts are good and strong. I wonder if they are shorter struts than supposed to be or if I can relocate the brackets? I don’t believe CW changed these as I noticed that on the lot before purchasing.
-Not sure if the roof is TPO or EPDM. I bought both Alpha sealant and Dicor. I bought a new max air fan to install so will find out when I remove the old vent. I’ll use the AC control 12VDC to power it as others have suggested.
-The roof and trim sealant looks original though in great shape. I wont trust it and have bought new sealants to re-do every inch of the trailer that has sealant.
-Bought a white metal plumbing vent cap since the plastic ones last about a year before disintegrating.
-Will add a slide topper before winter. Debating whether to install a long aluminum channel across the slide face to install a bit longer slide topper than the slide width. I’d like it to offer more protection than just the actual width of the slide but it would need the support of the channel/ box tubing. I could powder coat it so it matches.
-Cant get the DVD to play on the TV so need to check the wiring and cables.

Lots of upgrades and tweaks coming soon!

Overall very happy with our purchase and shakedown cruise will be Labor Day weekend. Looking forward to many happy trips with her. I’ll post my questions separately in the forum.
Thanks for reading my rambles,
Chris
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Number 4

Welcome to the forum Chris! It's nice to see another member "down the road a piece" from me. You have quite a list of mods but it will be nice to have everything to your liking. Our Hideout is used and I've enjoyed fixing and customizing a few things. My headscratcher is the one stabilizer scissor jack that must be reverse cranked. Wha?
Anyways, welcome and enjoy working on your TT!

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
MarcS

Welcome to the forum from Howell Michigan!
Old 08-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
CampNBrew2

Thanks Gents!
I'll bet the adjusting nut was welded on the wrong end of that screw. That's a good one that I've not heard about RVs yet. And I've heard/seen some doosies.

Some of the shoddiest workmanship I've ever seen in these things. My "new" trailer seems better than many. I know full well going in that these are assembled by monkeys with chainsaws, hatchets and staple guns. Disgusting really, that there is no oversight and they continually get away with it. Even worse is when they are overloaded from the factory (long story about my Dads Class C Gulfstream).

Anyway I fix broken stuff for a living in commercial buildings so at least don't have to pay someone for all of the upkeep/upgrades to my trailer. I'll post my progress as it happens.
See ya out there.
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
14george

Welcome to the fourm from Wv
Old 08-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
5J's

Welcome to the forum from SE Texas. Sounds like you're already enjoying your project.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote