Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
DennisT

Salt Lake City: how much of a tangle for new RV'ers? &- RV sites?

Looks like our next lunge is Pendleton, Oregon, through Salt Lake City, Utah, and on into Utah's red cliff country, or whatever they call that.

I know there is a healthy Pass between Pendleton and LaGrande, Oregon, but I also hear Salt Lake City is a heavy traffic area. We've never been in that area before, but from looking at a map it appears SLC area comprises some 45+ miles of suburbs and main city. Appears to be no good way around it.

We're rural folks and I've never been happy with city driving, TT-towing or not. Wife can help navigate with Garmin/Magellan, but I'd appreciate tips on SLC.

Finally, we wouldn't mind finding a park to stay at near there so we can drive around with just the pickup. ??? Thoughts? Utah is a whole new game for us.

Thanks for reading,
Dennis (Dodge Cummins and Springdale 266RL)
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
BulletOwner1

Been through there a couple of times. As with any large city it's best to avoid rush hour and fuel stops are better before or after the "city" areas if your towing something. Can't speak to camping, we just closed our eyes and punched through .

We've been to Moab. Absolutely beautiful. Two National parks right at Moab. Arches and Canyonlands. Take the camera for sure. And if your 62 or older get your America the Beautiful Senior Pass. It's 10$ I think, available at the Parks. Lifetime pass gets you in Nat Parks and a lot of other stuff for free.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
hankaye

DennisT, Howdy;

Depends on which direction you plan on attacking SLC from...
Either way get on I-215 and head South Not so "Down-townish"
If you come in from the North you can take I-84to I-80 then jump off
onto US 40 and US 189 to Heber City then stay on 189 to Provo. Jump on
I-15 South look for the exit at Spanish Fork and take US 6 East & Us 89 South
Stay on 6 and follow it to Helper and Price then stay on US 191South
and it will take you straight to Moab. If you prefer to go to The Grand
Staircase Escalante you will need to stay on US 89 South. A nice place to
spend a night or a few years as I did is Carter's RV Park in Mount Pleasant, Ut.
It's at the South end of town tucked away behind the Rodeo Arena. 89 will take you to the GSE.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
theeyres

Never even considered trying to stay there so can't speak to RV parks but have driven through many times with no problems. It is a big city and heavy traffic but if you just take your time and watch where you are going you won't have a problem. Just go through in the middle of the day. And I do agree with getting fuel well before you get there. Don't try to find gas stations as you are going through. I am a small town guy, too, so know what you are talking about and there are far worse cities to get through that SLC.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:10 AM   #5
Brantlaker

There is a KOA in Salt Lake City we stopped there a few years ago and the is a shuttle service from there to the Temple. the traffic was not bad if you get there before 4 PM and leave after 9 AM

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Dennis T -
We've driven through SLC at least twice - once this April and although it is quite a long stretch of road, we found it to be fairly easy going. Like any large city, there is plenty of traffic but it flows along smoothly and over a nicely paved and well-maintained freeway. We found it to be well-marked with large, visible signage.

You will find busy traffic pretty much all the way from Ogden to Provo as it is one very large and spread out metro area - much like the area from Everett - Seattle - Tacoma - Olympia. They all blend into one another.

We have stayed in two state parks in the SLC area. Coming from the north, there is Willard Bay SP just north of Ogden and another SP, Utah Lake SP, on the south side near Provo.

You shouldn't be intimidated by the SLC area --- if you are driving through it - just stay on the main freeway, or have a good look at the route(s) suggested by hankaye in his post and you'll be just fine. You can do it.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
DennisT

Slc

Thanks, Festus, that's encouraging. Your analogy of Everett to Olympia, WA, is very meaningful to me as I've traveled that a lot in the past, (but not with a trailer of any sort), even though I now am able to totally avoid it. Everett to Olympia does get tiring, however.

I'm thinking strongly of Hankaye's suggestion...especially if we target Moab as a destination. A lot of this will pivot on my wife's desires......If she says, "I want'a see SLC, " then there I go. Ha.

The route to Moab is via....is it Soldier Summit? Stuff my '97 Cummins in third and wander up I suspect...

If we end up in Moab, then it's tempting to brush through Colorado and come back via the edge of Yellowstone and into Bozeman. Gee, trips have a way of getting longer and longer....

Dennis
Old 09-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
hankaye

DennisT, Howdy;

Yes, Soldier's Summit is part of Rt. 6, not a bad climb as climbs go.
Not anything like some of the one's ya'll have in Wash. and Or.
The railroad goes along side it and they never really look for tough
grades to climb. The grades may be longish but not overly steep, it
was after all, the old way to get to SLC.

hank

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
DennisT

Soldier

Thanks. I wonder which railroad? One of my long standing desires is to go to Durango and Chama, NM, and ride the narrow gauges. I doubt my wife is up to that much this time, IF anything will still be running.

Dennis
Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
hankaye

DennisT, Howdy;

Amtrac, but if you end up in Moab the narrow gauge is a long day trip from there.
Take 191 south to Monticello then turn Left on US 491 that will take you right to Cortez, Co.
Then take US 160 East to Durango. It's about 150 miles. Leave at 04:30 be there by 08:30.
Hit the 4 Corners on your way back ...

hankaye

Old 09-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Jca3

slc travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisT View Post
Looks like our next lunge is Pendleton, Oregon, through Salt Lake City, Utah, and on into Utah's red cliff country, or whatever they call that.

I know there is a healthy Pass between Pendleton and LaGrande, Oregon, but I also hear Salt Lake City is a heavy traffic area. We've never been in that area before, but from looking at a map it appears SLC area comprises some 45+ miles of suburbs and main city. Appears to be no good way around it.

We're rural folks and I've never been happy with city driving, TT-towing or not. Wife can help navigate with Garmin/Magellan, but I'd appreciate tips on SLC.

Finally, we wouldn't mind finding a park to stay at near there so we can drive around with just the pickup. ??? Thoughts? Utah is a whole new game for us.

Thanks for reading,
Dennis (Dodge Cummins and Springdale 266RL)
Unfortunately there is no getting around SLC in order to see southern Utah and it is well worth the visit. Go through in the middle of the day, stay in the middle lanes and just let the idiots run around you. Hope none stop in front of you. It is fairly quick to get through. The worst is around downtown and several exits south, but a great drive down 15 after that.
Yes Pendleton has cabbage hill, but if your truck is big enough to haul your TT it won't pose any problem. Even with our previous 1500 we didn't find it too much. We live out here and there are many roads that are worse.