Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
Five from the Desert

2013 Avalanche 341TG - Rear Structure Framing Cracks

Original owner of our Avalanche with no complaints. Getting ready for the upcoming season my wife and I notice some severe structural cracks in the upper corner of both sides of the main trailer box. We are obviously concerned that this is a latent design weakness that just started showing up. I am starting to have feelings that our trailer's design flaw may have huge repair costs implications and that Keystone may maintain their initial response that the trailer is out of warranty with no other recourse for us to pursue.

Please review my attached pictures of the outside, the interior has similar crack.

Has any other 341TG Avalanche owners had this same problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_071838.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	21402   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_071848.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	21403   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_072001.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	21404  
Five from the Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #2
busterbrown

That's a shame. Looks like it would be a major repair as both sides are affected.

Keystone most likely won't change their position as warranty coverage ended years ago.

As much as we pay for these coaches, you'd think they'd structurally hold up past 5 years. Hope you're able to find an affordable fix.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
John&Genny

There was another thread not long ago about structural cracks near the bedroom slide, most likely caused by broken frame welds:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ghlight=cracks

Considering more people have had this issue, I’m wondering if it’s worth investigating a class action lawsuit against LCI and/or Keystone?
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:35 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
There was another thread not long ago about structural cracks near the bedroom slide, most likely caused by broken frame welds:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ghlight=cracks

Considering more people have had this issue, I’m wondering if it’s worth investigating a class action lawsuit against LCI and/or Keystone?
Please keep in mind that this forum is not an avenue to discussions about starting a class action lawsuit or other "coordinated legal action". That type discussion should be done through private PM's. Please don't violate this long standing restriction.

Thanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
Five from the Desert

I appreciate the feedback. I am still very happy with the trailer overall. I am very disappointed in this development. I just got back the Authorized dealer quote for the repairs. Wait for it......$12k. I fully understand the labor and work involved to deconstruct, reinforce, and then reconstruct both corners. The dealer and I both agree that it is probably a latent design issue. I was hoping that another owner could find my post and lend insight on how they resolved it.
I have owned a camper or fifth wheel for over thirty years now, and we all know how they are built. This issue is definitely not one that I saw coming or expected.
My intention is to find a crack survivor with a solution story, definitely not start a revolution.
If only a simple hashtag would get Keystone's attention like it does with cute dog video or something like that. #Avalanche #Keystone #Crack_kills
Old 04-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
justlkn

We had those same cracks in our 2012 341TG although they weren't that bad. Traded it in before I could find out how far they would go.

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlkn View Post
We had those same cracks in our 2012 341TG although they weren't that bad. Traded it in before I could find out how far they would go.
We have similar cracks from the corners of out bedroom slide. They have been there for years and ran their course years ago. Keystone will do nothing about them once the trailer is out of warranty. Keystone will hold that you probably overloaded the trailer. Hardly any of us can disprove that without spending thousands of dollars for a structural investigation.

Having some structural mechanic background I stop drilled our cracks. Fabricated some 1/8" 5052 aluminum into lap patches, sealed the cracks and surrounding area and pop riveted the patches to the trailer skin. They have been there for a long time and nothing else has developed.

In our case I'm convinced the cracks were predictable because of the way the original materials were fabricated. Sharp corners in a high vibration area will fail first just because of the way they were fabricated. It's not just a Keystone problem. I've observed similar cracking in numerous brands of 5th wheel trailers above 10-12K in overall weight. I've talked with a few owners that were lucky enough to have cracks repaired that developed before the warranty expired only to have them reappear again a few years later.

WARNING: Seal those cracks. Water intrusion will compound the problem.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
Five from the Desert

Thank you all for the feedback. We have decided to cut our loses and count the memories in that trailer. Floor plan shopping has begun. Film at eleven.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
justlkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five from the Desert View Post
Thank you all for the feedback. We have decided to cut our loses and count the memories in that trailer. Floor plan shopping has begun. Film at eleven.

Tha's what we chose to do. We were well out of warranty. She served us well for 6 years. On to the next adventure!

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
dartfd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
We have similar cracks from the corners of out bedroom slide. They have been there for years and ran their course years ago. Keystone will do nothing about them once the trailer is out of warranty. Keystone will hold that you probably overloaded the trailer. Hardly any of us can disprove that without spending thousands of dollars for a structural investigation.

Having some structural mechanic background I stop drilled our cracks. Fabricated some 1/8" 5052 aluminum into lap patches, sealed the cracks and surrounding area and pop riveted the patches to the trailer skin. They have been there for a long time and nothing else has developed.

In our case I'm convinced the cracks were predictable because of the way the original materials were fabricated. Sharp corners in a high vibration area will fail first just because of the way they were fabricated. It's not just a Keystone problem. I've observed similar cracking in numerous brands of 5th wheel trailers above 10-12K in overall weight. I've talked with a few owners that were lucky enough to have cracks repaired that developed before the warranty expired only to have them reappear again a few years later.

WARNING: Seal those cracks. Water intrusion will compound the problem.
Your corrrct it’s not just keystone that has these issues. My Heartland Eldridge 5ver had a very similar issue at the curbside rear. It split the back corner and caused extensive water damage to the rear of the unit I was in the process of repairing it when it was totaled by a tree over the winter at the campground. I’ve read a lot about the issues on here before purchasing my new avalanche. I’m hopefully that by keeping on top of the roof and side wall penetrations that I’ll have a good camper for many years to come.
dartfd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
RubyCJ

Sorry to see the structural problem, Scarred me into looking at my 2013 345TG . I see the distance from the slide to the rear is a bit longer than on the 341TG and so far no cracking.
Best of luck.

Tags
rack