Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

Trim problem

Trim around the slide got hung on the darn non-functional 5 disk CD player which popped out while traveling home last week from camping on the beautiful Nueces River. Was setting up my trailer at home after returning and the slide didn't want to extend outwards when I noticed the stereo shelf that holds 5 CDs was holding it.

The trim on the slide pulled out about 3/4" at the bottom. There are three possible screws holding the wood outer trim to whatever they screw into behind. I am guessing screws because there are three little buttons that match the trim covering them. Probably only need to remove the bottom and retighten the screw; there seemed to be some possible staples that needed to be cut or bent over as well.

Anyone ever remove or fix this trim around a slide have any advice? I suspect the little buttons are glued in place. Slide itself wasn't damaged in any way.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Since no one responded, will follow up as I just went out to the trailer and fixed the problem.

The trim arouind slide has plastic covers over the screws which retain it to the particle board behind. The covers are made to pop the top off. Once the three screws were removed, found the square corner trim at the top was stampled in place with four staples; both that corner trip (at top) and the piece at the side were easily removed after the three screws holding the side piece were removed.

There were quite a few staples that were also used and these pulled out of the particle board behind the trim and I cut them off with wire cutters.

Fouind there were screws holding the particle board to whatever is behind it and these had pulled out especially at the bottom so I just took all of them out (there were three or four and moved them slightly (about 1/4" over old hole" and screwed them back in. I then put the oak colored side trim piece back over the particle board and re-used the plastic caps and all went together fine. I fixed the small bit of vinyl behind the slide trim which had been ripped using white gorilla tape. You couldn't see the rip anyway but I went ahead and did that simple fix.

I cut the staples on the corner trim square. There were four staples used to hold the thing and drill some small holes through the square trim. Then I used some finishing nails to tack it back up and used a punch to countersink the heads. Then I used some matching medium oak wood putty to cover the heads of the nails and the repair looks pretty decent.

I had asked months ago how to remove that darn stereo as it isn't screwed in on the sides, bottom, top, etc. but I believe they glued the bottom to a piece of the vinyl-wood looking board. I really am think of just ripping the thing out. AM is sketchy, no tapes these days and the CD player never worked. In other words, a boat anchor. Would like to get an inexpensive little bookshelf stereo with tuner and CD/DVD player. I am pretty sure i would destroy the finish on the vinyl board beneath.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote