Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
Yeti5260

KOA or Good Sam or Other

We just bought a Cougar 29rld and it came with a years membership with KOA Campgrounds. It will expire in July 2019.

The question I have is what other memberships, or are either one of these preferred by long term RV'rs

Thank You
Yeti5260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti5260 View Post
We just bought a Cougar 29rld and it came with a years membership with KOA Campgrounds. It will expire in July 2019.

The question I have is what other memberships, or are either one of these preferred by long term RV'rs

Thank You
Neither one works for long term. The discount only applies to the daily rate with both KOA and Good Sam.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

The value of the memberships depends on what kind of camping you are doing. You said "long term RVers"; does that mean someone who has been RVing long term or those staying in an RV long term?

If you are going to live in your RV and move around some might be of benefit. As far as KOA, I've never been interested. You save 10% just like Good Sam but a KOA park pricing is generally easily 10% higher than surrounding parks in my experience. Good Sam parks offer 10% off and includes all kinds of parks ranging from excellent to mediocre. You have a wide range of pricing instead of just the upper tier. Lots of folks like Passport America. It is pretty handy if you move around quite a bit. There are restriction on how many days, holidays etc. but it gives you 50% off. If you travel and look for Good Sam or PA campgrounds it's easy to save the membership fees.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #4
Old Mustanger

Good Sam and Passport America, also if you are 65 or older (or when you get there) Senior Pass for Corp of Engineer parks save 50% off of their already low rates.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #5
travelin texans

Golden Age Pass for national parks also.
Good Sams will also get you discounts at Camping World, fuel at Flying J/Pilot truck stops plus campgrounds pretty much everywhere.
If you have kids/grandkids traveling with you KOAs are usually full of kids & many provide activities for the kids, but you will pay for it. The more you use KOA you get points which get you bigger discounts & free nights. The positive is 95%+ of them you'll know are nice neat clean places, with very few, not so much.
Passport America we had for the 1st year & seemed EVERY time we tried to use it there was some restrictions for not being able, as any day that ended in Y, holiday, local celebration, weekend, always something, didn't renew after the 1st year.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Golden Age Pass for national parks also.
Good Sams will also get you discounts at Camping World, fuel at Flying J/Pilot truck stops plus campgrounds pretty much everywhere.
If you have kids/grandkids traveling with you KOAs are usually full of kids & many provide activities for the kids, but you will pay for it. The more you use KOA you get points which get you bigger discounts & free nights. The positive is 95%+ of them you'll know are nice neat clean places, with very few, not so much.
Passport America we had for the 1st year & seemed EVERY time we tried to use it there was some restrictions for not being able, as any day that ended in Y, holiday, local celebration, weekend, always something, didn't renew after the 1st year.
Danny, did you ever get/use their catalog? I'm like you, when I first looked at the catalog, then tried going somewhere it seemed like there were always some sort of restriction. Now, we travel primarily in the shoulder seasons and haven't had nearly as many issues. I renew every year and always call ahead to all locations to verify what discounts they have. Some even ask me if I have PA so I can get the discount. I've got a few we go to all the time that just give it to me so it does pay for itself in a years time, but it can be a hassle if I'm trying to route intending to use it - it's not worth the time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
mfifield01

I had PA for a year. I only used it a couple of times. It just barely paid off. If you go to their website, it shows the restrictions. It just wasn't worth it for me.

I have Good Sam now. It typically is worth it.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
captcolour

I have both KOA and Good Sam. If you take longer trips with a night here and there, KOAs are really convenient, usually right off the interstate. You can count on them being clean. You save back the membership fee quickly. Have used Good Sam too. Also use the Good Sam for the diesel discount at Pilot/Flying J.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Danny, did you ever get/use their catalog? I'm like you, when I first looked at the catalog, then tried going somewhere it seemed like there were always some sort of restriction. Now, we travel primarily in the shoulder seasons and haven't had nearly as many issues. I renew every year and always call ahead to all locations to verify what discounts they have. Some even ask me if I have PA so I can get the discount. I've got a few we go to all the time that just give it to me so it does pay for itself in a years time, but it can be a hassle if I'm trying to route intending to use it - it's not worth the time.
No never got a catalogue. Got tired of the restrictions so never renewed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:53 AM   #10
Dave W

I have both KOA and Good Sam. They work for the way we travel but wont for everyone's needs. I looked into Passport America and found for much of the Northeast, it didn't give me much in the way of choice in campgrounds, often those with reviews that were way less hen stellar. Obviously. others have better choices in their travel area.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote