Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #1
jmlocklin

Lazy Traveler

I'm not sure I should ask this but I will. We usually travel to Alabama State Parks fairly close to home, but we would like to travel to other states. My problem is I am extremely lazy and being retired I no longer wish to think about planning the trip. where to stay, what to see, etc. My question is there a service that provides that for you or am I stuck with making my own plans? I know this is a rather dumb question but remember I prefer not to do the planning, but I would love to go to other places. Maybe what I am looking for is an RV Travel Agency if there is such a thing. Thanks for any reply.
jmlocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
66joej

I believe there is such a service. When we were on Vancouver Island the person on the desk at the campground said that the agency reserves a block of sites for European tourists who come to Canada and rent RVs.
Maybe an internet search would locate one.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
MerlinB

I used to belong to AAA many years ago and it seems to me that they had that kind of service. I know they had some very nice regional maps and they would highlight a route for driving to a destination. Don't have any idea how competent they might be for RV travel planning.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
ken56

"Planning" does not have to be complicated. Pick a place you want to see and go there. It's not hard to find campgrounds along most any route. Use the RVPARKY app to find CG's along your specific route. We start looking at about 3pm to be off the road by 4pm or so. Never been shut out for not finding a place with a space available. If time is not an issue then travel at your own pace even if it's 100 miles a day. Travel the secondary roads and stay off the interstate, much more interesting.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #5
Harleydodge

These guys have a good reputation and offer some awesome trips.
I have yet to use them, but I may in the future.
I have heard good things.

https://www.fantasyrvtours.com/

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:03 PM   #6
linux3

A man after my own heart.
Our style is a vague idea of what we would like to see and where we would like to go.
We like US routes rather than interstates as the speeds are slower and there are fewer trucks.
Crossing into a new state there will most often be a Welcome Center. See what they have to say.
Often on US routes there will be "Attraction" signs. I can't tell you wall the weird and wonderful things we have seen.
If we spend too long seeing "stuff" or just don't feel like driving any more we use google.
"Google, campgrounds near me" will give a list with phone numbers and ratings.
If you want to stay at a major tourist attraction I guess you will need a reservation but we don't and don't.
We have had days when we traveled for 5 hours (rare) and days when we only pulled for 1.5 hours. Get out there and see America! Don't worry about plans as there are lots of campgrounds and so much stuff to see. BTW, really enjoyed Huntsville.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
A man after my own heart.
Our style is a vague idea of what we would like to see and where we would like to go.
We like US routes rather than interstates as the speeds are slower and there are fewer trucks.
Crossing into a new state there will most often be a Welcome Center. See what they have to say.
Often on US routes there will be "Attraction" signs. I can't tell you wall the weird and wonderful things we have seen.
If we spend too long seeing "stuff" or just don't feel like driving any more we use google.
"Google, campgrounds near me" will give a list with phone numbers and ratings.
If you want to stay at a major tourist attraction I guess you will need a reservation but we don't and don't.
We have had days when we traveled for 5 hours (rare) and days when we only pulled for 1.5 hours. Get out there and see America! Don't worry about plans as there are lots of campgrounds and so much stuff to see. BTW, really enjoyed Huntsville.
We've done exactly the same for 10+ years of fulltiming & can't imagine someone else planning stops or picking routes for us.
We have a fulltiming friend that our relaxed travel schedule drives him nuts, come Jan 1st he has the entire years itinerary planned & most stops reserved, his schedule drives me nuts.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:21 AM   #8
notanlines

I'm not buying into it. Your "I am extremely lazy and being retired I no longer wish to think about planning the trip. where to stay, what to see, etc." says that if you ever did get somewhere different you would need someone to set up for you, take you to all the sights, and pack up for you. Can't get there from here.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

We typically plan a "final destination" (which is almost always changing) for each trip. We start off headed in a "general direction" but even that changes from time to time. We recently returned from a trip to Las Vegas. It started out as a trip to Memphis, so that should give you some idea of how "fluid" our travels can be. NO (and I mean not even one) reservations at the start of the trip. How could we reserve anything if we don't know where we're going or when we'll be there?????

This past trip, we left home, headed south, slept in a WalMart parking lot in Flag City, OH, then on to Hillsboro, OH for a couple of days (to visit our new great grand daughter), then south to Nashville, over to Memphis (which was our original destination) to visit some old military friends. While there, we talked about their trip last year to the Grand Canyon and Four Corners, so that night, while getting ready for bed, we decided, "why not???" and 2 days later, we were in Little Rock, on our way west. We spent 5 days getting to Four Corners, visited southern Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Arizona, all in a matter of moments LOL. Then on to the Grand Canyon, and decided, "Let's go to Nellis and watch the Thunderbirds practice their air demonstration routine. So, we wound up on a zipline on top of the Rio Hotel, 51 stories in the air headed across to the other hotel tower (31 stories up) while sitting on a tiny seat 500' up in the air. Anyway, we took the Slingshot to Palmdale, CA, to visit some old friends from the Skunk Works, and spent a couple of days at Edwards AFB. Then we "meandered our way back home"...

As you can see, planning is for the "faint of heart". Just get in your tow vehicle, head somewhere and when you get there, decide where else you want to go. After all, California is "sort of" close to Memphis, isn't it?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We typically plan a "final destination" (which is almost always changing) for each trip. We start off headed in a "general direction" but even that changes from time to time. We recently returned from a trip to Las Vegas. It started out as a trip to Memphis, so that should give you some idea of how "fluid" our travels can be. NO (and I mean not even one) reservations at the start of the trip. How could we reserve anything if we don't know where we're going or when we'll be there?????

This past trip, we left home, headed south, slept in a WalMart parking lot in Flag City, OH, then on to Hillsboro, OH for a couple of days (to visit our new great grand daughter), then south to Nashville, over to Memphis (which was our original destination) to visit some old military friends. While there, we talked about their trip last year to the Grand Canyon and Four Corners, so that night, while getting ready for bed, we decided, "why not???" and 2 days later, we were in Little Rock, on our way west. We spent 5 days getting to Four Corners, visited southern Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Arizona, all in a matter of moments LOL. Then on to the Grand Canyon, and decided, "Let's go to Nellis and watch the Thunderbirds practice their air demonstration routine. So, we wound up on a zipline on top of the Rio Hotel, 51 stories in the air headed across to the other hotel tower (31 stories up) while sitting on a tiny seat 500' up in the air. Anyway, we took the Slingshot to Palmdale, CA, to visit some old friends from the Skunk Works, and spent a couple of days at Edwards AFB. Then we "meandered our way back home"...

As you can see, planning is for the "faint of heart". Just get in your tow vehicle, head somewhere and when you get there, decide where else you want to go. After all, California is "sort of" close to Memphis, isn't it?????

That type of travel sounds very interesting to me, and enjoyable, but I, and I suppose others, are just not cut out for it. It's not because I'm faint of heart, I just have absolutely no, zero, patience and that ends up painting a poor picture for the evening when I'm wandering around trying to find somewhere to put almost 60' of "stuff" in a place I know nothing about - and I'm very particular. All of which doesn't bode well for a happy ending every day. I've been that way all my life. I'm not "laid back" by any stretch of the imagination but sure wish I was - and I've tried for years to improve but......

Now, once I've got the rig set up THEN we can run by the seat of our pants and DW does a wonderful job of getting me into some really "interesting" places; stuck, mud, dead end roads, marshes- lost etc. Heck, I've had to crawl around under the truck in calf deep mud because she insisted we could make it and wanted to see "over there".... It's DW, and I love her to pieces so what do you do?

We do remain fluid on destinations as we travel and they change from time to time but only after I've obtained a reservation at, or near, the place we've decided to go to. In the end, we all have fun and that's what it's all about.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I'm not buying into it. Your "I am extremely lazy and being retired I no longer wish to think about planning the trip. where to stay, what to see, etc." says that if you ever did get somewhere different you would need someone to set up for you, take you to all the sights, and pack up for you. Can't get there from here.
I would have to agree!
If you're that lazy you better find some other way besides a rv to see the country cause the planning, or lack of, is the easy part.
Compared to towing, setup/teardown at every stop, plus on a rv there WILL be repairs big or small frequently, planning is a piece of cake.
Maybe buses, planes or trains with hotel reservations would be your better way to travel.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #12
66joej

With the underabundance (is that a word) of RV parks here in Canada we must make reservations or park by the side of the road.
Also when heading South for the winter most all RV parks are closed til we get farther down so the few that are open are usually booked by us Snowbirds so reservations are a must. YMMV

Edit: DW says when Walmart, Cabelas, etc. get tv and internet in the parking lots we will stay there. Actually it's me that always wants to watch news and stuff. lol

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Edit: DW says when Walmart, Cabelas, etc. get tv and internet in the parking lots we will stay there. Actually it's me that always wants to watch news and stuff. lol
Cabela's and Bass Pro have dump stations at most of their "big stores" and at many there are electric hookups. No water or "site sewer" but the wifi from the store extended to the parking area at a couple of the ones we stopped at to shop. I haven't stayed at Cabela's yet, but the "designated RV parking was level, somewhat away from the car parking area, seemed to be quiet and secure. I didn't see any cable TV connections though......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #14
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
With the underabundance (is that a word) of RV parks here in Canada we must make reservations or park by the side of the road.
It's a word. Just should be hyphenated

For those most part, we need to have a plan in place for Jan 1 to be sure you can get spots. I think the national park system opens by Jan 5. Provincial is a bit later, but a lot sooner than it ever used to be. Either will fill up within a couple of days.

Even private sites can be fully booked for summer weeks by mid-Jan.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:46 AM   #15
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
That type of travel sounds very interesting to me, and enjoyable, but I, and I suppose others, are just not cut out for it. It's not because I'm faint of heart, I just have absolutely no, zero, patience and that ends up painting a poor picture for the evening when I'm wandering around trying to find somewhere to put almost 60' of "stuff" in a place I know nothing about - and I'm very particular. All of which doesn't bode well for a happy ending every day. I've been that way all my life. I'm not "laid back" by any stretch of the imagination but sure wish I was - and I've tried for years to improve but......

Now, once I've got the rig set up THEN we can run by the seat of our pants and DW does a wonderful job of getting me into some really "interesting" places; stuck, mud, dead end roads, marshes- lost etc. Heck, I've had to crawl around under the truck in calf deep mud because she insisted we could make it and wanted to see "over there".... It's DW, and I love her to pieces so what do you do?

We do remain fluid on destinations as we travel and they change from time to time but only after I've obtained a reservation at, or near, the place we've decided to go to. In the end, we all have fun and that's what it's all about.
I tend to be in Danny's camp on this. I would love to just hit the road with a direction and not a destination but I just feel I have to have a landing pad with my name on it at the end of the day. I'd really like to break out of this box. Don't know if I ever will.
DW and I have wanted to make a western loop for years but we haven't been able to take that first step.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
I tend to be in Danny's camp on this. I would love to just hit the road with a direction and not a destination but I just feel I have to have a landing pad with my name on it at the end of the day. I'd really like to break out of this box. Don't know if I ever will.
DW and I have wanted to make a western loop for years but we haven't been able to take that first step.
I think the first "hurdle" is redefining your definition of "landing pad".... From what you say, it looks like your definition is "a campsite, confirmed for the length of the planned stay, complete with pre-determined facilities at the site"...

Maybe if you bring your definition of "landing pad" closer to home ??? In other words, "I have my house, complete with everything I need behind my truck. All I need is some place to park it. That place may be an improved campground, a parking lot, a rest area, an inviting clearing beside a roadside creek or even a "wide spot beside the road." With full self containment, there's really no reason to "need a full facilities campground or, for that matter, even a reservation in a dry camping site".... Just move over a hundred feet (symbolically) and lower the tongue jack and unlock the door....

I know it's difficult for some to "transition" from "needing someone else's "confirmed" ground to park on" to "I'll park where it fits" (within reason of course). But making the transition sure opens up the ability to "vagabond in a full feature house on wheels."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-14-2019, 02:55 AM   #17
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think the first "hurdle" is redefining your definition of "landing pad".... From what you say, it looks like your definition is "a campsite, confirmed for the length of the planned stay, complete with pre-determined facilities at the site"...

Maybe if you bring your definition of "landing pad" closer to home ??? In other words, "I have my house, complete with everything I need behind my truck. All I need is some place to park it. That place may be an improved campground, a parking lot, a rest area, an inviting clearing beside a roadside creek or even a "wide spot beside the road." With full self containment, there's really no reason to "need a full facilities campground or, for that matter, even a reservation in a dry camping site".... Just move over a hundred feet (symbolically) and lower the tongue jack and unlock the door....

I know it's difficult for some to "transition" from "needing someone else's "confirmed" ground to park on" to "I'll park where it fits" (within reason of course). But making the transition sure opens up the ability to "vagabond in a full feature house on wheels."
I have stayed at truck stops and Wally's world before so that's in the cards. I know it's a bit easier in the west to find a place. The east is getting more difficult as most rest area's don't allow overnight parking and Walmart are following suit at many locations. I think the box I have to get out of is having the whole itinerary planned out before I leave home and kind of winging it. Also it's not just me but DW is in the same box.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #18
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

When we lost our ability to live as gypsies, a little piece of our freedom and liberty died too. Sad. [emoji45]

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #19
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
I would love to just hit the road with a direction and not a destination but I just feel I have to have a landing pad with my name on it at the end of the day. I'd really like to break out of this box. Don't know if I ever will.
If you feel this is something you would enjoy, let me urge you to take the leap and do it. Find someone reliable to check on your house and process your mail, then just push off.

We bought our first RV in 1999 to do a "great circle tour" of the US, with a ten-year-old and a dog. When my employer got LBOed and dissolved, we had the opportunity to relocate our household to anyplace we would enjoy better than where we were, and part of the goal of the trip was to find out first-hand where that might be. It was the most rewarding year of my life. It also broadened our son's education well beyond his peers. And we found the residential neighborhood of our dreams.

In anticipation of my recent retirement, we replaced our 20yo rig with a new Cougar last fall, and intend to reprise our experience with more long trips across portions of the US that we haven't yet experienced. We hope to recapture that same sense of freedom, discovery, and satisfaction.

The beauty of RVing is that you can have a new and different "destination" every day, and you are always "home" regardless of wherever you choose to stop at night.

Don't put off that western loop. Come stay at our tiny park in Wickenburg, and we'll swap stories.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #20
jimborokz

Talked to DW today and I think we're ready to take the plunge. We have some stuff to get off the calendar first. (this aging process and Dr's apts is a PITA) I have a guy in mind that I think I can hire to watch over the house and our rental property. Close the pool on Labor day and I think by then we can be free to hit the road. Plan to head west to friends in Idaho, visit some family in Oregon and then just wander south and then east to our winter landing in GA but we don't need to get there till late Oct or Nov.