Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
ldiaz791

Going to Maine

Next month we are driving to Kennebunkport Maine for the first time with our 5th Wheel from Florida by way of I95. Can I hear some advise from those who have use the same route. Are there many tunnels and will my 42’ long,13.5” tall 5th wheel be able to pass. We also purchased the EZ Pass.
ldiaz791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
SummitPond

It's been well over 10 years since I've driven I-95 all the way from ME to FL. Stick to the Interstate and you shouldn't have any issues, other than totally obnoxious traffic usually found on I-95.

If possible, schedule your arrival into NH/ME area earlier in the day if on a Friday or Saturday to avoid the worst summer traffic. Take the I-95/Maine Turnpike as far north as possible to avoid congestion on US Route 1; there is an exit at Kennebunk - I think it's milepost 25.

Safe travels.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #3
Firewall

The Baltimore Tunnel may be of concern. Some say you can't go through with propane others say so long as it is off you can. I always used the Key bridge, maybe others will chime in too. When you get up towards New York I suggest using the Gov. Cuomo Bridge, formerly known as the Tappan Zee or you can go up further and use the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge a little further up (I-84). Be sure when you get to the New England area to stay off any Parkway, the bridges are all very low. They are marked fairly well with "No Trucks, Commercial Vehicles, Trailers" etc.

If you come through Connecticut don't do it at rush hour. The Stamford, Fairfield, Greenwich area on 95 is brutal during those times.

I-95 is not cheap, your EZ Pass will get a workout! Next year when we go to Florida I plan on using (from Connecticut) the "inner route" I-81, I-77 to name a couple, there are only a couple of tolls until I get back on 95 in Georgia.

You'll love Maine. How many days are you planning for the trip? Enjoy!
Firewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #4
ldiaz791

My GPS is taking me through the NJ turnpike, can someone advise if there’s restriction on veh/rv’s dimensions. From what I have read on other older forums there’s none on the NJ turnpike as there is on the Garden State parkway which I don’t believe is part of my route.
We are doing two weeks there and another week in NJ on the way back.
ldiaz791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
Firewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiaz791 View Post
My GPS is taking me through the NJ turnpike, can someone advise if there’s restriction on veh/rv’s dimensions. From what I have read on other older forums there’s none on the NJ turnpike as there is on the Garden State parkway which I don’t believe is part of my route.
We are doing two weeks there and another week in NJ on the way back.
You'll be fine on the NJTP. The northern part of the Garden State is where there are low clearances. Avoid anything that says Parkway up here!
Firewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:44 AM   #6
gregrc75

If arriving on a Saturday I would try to get into Maine before 9am otherwise it can be backed up from the Maine state line with NH all the way to the Mass state line. I drove to Maine every Saturday for a few summers.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote