Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
BAPotter

Overloaded TV

We have lots of discussions about a TV being able to pull a particular trailer, but not always enough discussion about being able to control the trailer. This was Utah today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26955654.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	19475   Click image for larger version

Name:	26955656.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	19476  
BAPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
Logan X

This is a very good visual reminder. I’m usually concerned when I see a smaller SUV pulling a medium to large trailer.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:05 AM   #3
rhagfo

I am sure the road conditions had nothing to do with the crash!
I will say I have see some smaller SUV's towing some TT that I felt was not a good combination.

Looking at the picture I am also wondering why the right lane looks to have more snow on it than the left. Understand the TV appears to have spun around 180 degrees.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:02 AM   #4
66joej

Can't really see a WDH. Also looks like an Alberta plate. He/she should be familiar with winter driving. Hopefully no one injured.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
travelin texans

From 1 to 10 on the pucker factor scale I'd say that was a 12!!
I also don't see WDH or any type of sway control & definitely not enough vehicle in my opinion.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:36 AM   #6
Alpine

Whoa... with those road conditions? What's the hurry...obviously I don't know their particular circumstances, hunker down for a couple more hours and the roads may have burned off!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Although I have no knowledge of that crash. I will say nearly all crashes I have seen, investigated or assisted with in bad weather are due to driving to fast for the conditions and then using the brakes. As the vehicle starts sliding most stand on the brake instead of releasing it. That only results in a crash. Sometimes minor steering or slowing without braking will prevent the crash. That will work if your traveling at a safe speed and not following to close.

Unless you practice or continue to remind yourself brakes are not your friend in all situations you will also stand on the brakes and just go where the vehicle takes you without any control.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Several things strike me from those photos:

As was observed, no wdh/sway.

Although the TV is an Armada, they are not built as a tow vehicle and would struggle IMO under the best of circumstances; to put a fair sized trailer on the back of one without the benefit of a wdh or sway control just makes one scratch their head.

The road doesn't look that bad if one is driving properly. Looks like the snow/slush is pretty well worn off or graded and it looks wet, not dull as if frozen. Now, if you let the SUV or trailer get off in the muck on the sides, especially with no sway control, you will get what you get.

This situation (pics) illustrate why we stress, repeatedly, about towing properly within weights to keep yourself, your family and others safe. When this episode started there was NOTHING the driver of the TV was going to do to save the situation, or, that family coming up behind them that could have run into them while they're doing a 180 in the middle of the highway. You have to take care of business all the time.

Of course, another cause of this could have been the driver constantly worrying with their smartphone and didn't have time to actually pay attention to driving - which seems to be happening with more and more frequency. As a note; ran into our closest little town this morning for breakfast (about 15 miles). On the return trip got behind an older Ford Expedition with a woman (late 20s or so) driving.....very erratically. I followed her for miles at 35-45 (45 speed limit) then a few miles at 55-60 (speed limit 55). During that entire trip I would bet her eyes were not on the road for more that 5 minutes total. She was working her smartphone - I watched her in her left rear view mirror the entire way. She sat well into 2 green lights because she just wasn't looking. I was going to honk but was worried she would just jump off without looking and hit something. Finally decided to pass before she hit the brakes (again) for no reason. The kicker? She had 3 (THREE) small children in the back seat....unrestrained!!! I know that's a long story to put on this but it came to mind when I made the observation about texting and the wreck...probably the reason I thought of it. And, have had no internet since Friday so guess I've got all these little things "bubbling" around in my head.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #9
Carrottop

Having a 2015 Armada they are probably one of the most capable of the full size SUV's you will find to tow wit, they are equipped with factory airbags to keep the unit level as well as a factory class IV hitch. That being said I have only used mine a couple of times to pull my trailer when my truck was unavailable. I always used my WDH and never had any issue. Was it an enjoyable tow, no, was it over loaded no, as it has a towing capacity of 9000lbs (that trailers does not look that large) it has a payload capacity of 1300lbs (can't speak to what was loaded in the SUV). The fact they seem to be towing in inclement weather (bad idea) and without a WDH (really bad idea) I agree this was an accident waiting to happen.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
Badbart56

The relatively short wheelbase on the Armada and other similar SUV's is not your friend when it comes to towing. It may seem to be a big SUV but it only has 131 inches WB and that isn't great for handling.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
The relatively short wheelbase on the Armada and other similar SUV's is not your friend when it comes to towing. It may seem to be a big SUV but it only has 131 inches WB and that isn't great for handling.
The "old towing guides" (before the days of XLite, UltraLite and Half Ton trailers) used to suggest the following "rule of thumb":

Maximum trailer length of 20' for a 110" wheelbase and 1 added foot of trailer for each 4" of additional wheelbase. Using this, the 131" wheelbase of an Armada would work out to about a 25' maximum trailer length. (110=20 and the extra 21"=5')

I've heard all kinds of excuses why this no longer applies, everything from "today's vehicles have electronic sway control" to "trailers now have wide spaced axles" to "that rule of thumb was for older style suspension systems and doesn't apply to modern vehicles".... Use it or not, but it served us well for many years, back when we were pulling vacation trailers with the family station wagon.....

To me, a 131" wheelbase is a "marginal tow vehicle" for a trailer longer than about 25-26 feet. Then you start adding the trailer weight, payload, GCWR, GVWR, RAWR and then "omit the WD hitch/sway control" and, well, you get a trailer on its side laying next to the highway with the rear of the tow vehicle hanging off the ground by the safety chains..... JMHO

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #12
Badbart56

Technology or not, physics is physics.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #13
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "old towing guides" (before the days of XLite, UltraLite and Half Ton trailers) used to suggest the following "rule of thumb":

Maximum trailer length of 20' for a 110" wheelbase and 1 added foot of trailer for each 4" of additional wheelbase. Using this, the 131" wheelbase of an Armada would work out to about a 25' maximum trailer length. (110=20 and the extra 21"=5')

I've heard all kinds of excuses why this no longer applies, everything from "today's vehicles have electronic sway control" to "trailers now have wide spaced axles" to "that rule of thumb was for older style suspension systems and doesn't apply to modern vehicles".... Use it or not, but it served us well for many years, back when we were pulling vacation trailers with the family station wagon.....

To me, a 131" wheelbase is a "marginal tow vehicle" for a trailer longer than about 25-26 feet. Then you start adding the trailer weight, payload, GCWR, GVWR, RAWR and then "omit the WD hitch/sway control" and, well, you get a trailer on its side laying next to the highway with the rear of the tow vehicle hanging off the ground by the safety chains..... JMHO
It seems like the above mentioned rule of thumb for wheelbase still applies.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #14
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Several things strike me from those photos:

As was observed, no wdh/sway.

Although the TV is an Armada, they are not built as a tow vehicle and would struggle IMO under the best of circumstances; to put a fair sized trailer on the back of one without the benefit of a wdh or sway control just makes one scratch their head.

The road doesn't look that bad if one is driving properly. Looks like the snow/slush is pretty well worn off or graded and it looks wet, not dull as if frozen. Now, if you let the SUV or trailer get off in the muck on the sides, especially with no sway control, you will get what you get.

This situation (pics) illustrate why we stress, repeatedly, about towing properly within weights to keep yourself, your family and others safe. When this episode started there was NOTHING the driver of the TV was going to do to save the situation, or, that family coming up behind them that could have run into them while they're doing a 180 in the middle of the highway. You have to take care of business all the time.

Of course, another cause of this could have been the driver constantly worrying with their smartphone and didn't have time to actually pay attention to driving - which seems to be happening with more and more frequency. As a note; ran into our closest little town this morning for breakfast (about 15 miles). On the return trip got behind an older Ford Expedition with a woman (late 20s or so) driving.....very erratically. I followed her for miles at 35-45 (45 speed limit) then a few miles at 55-60 (speed limit 55). During that entire trip I would bet her eyes were not on the road for more that 5 minutes total. She was working her smartphone - I watched her in her left rear view mirror the entire way. She sat well into 2 green lights because she just wasn't looking. I was going to honk but was worried she would just jump off without looking and hit something. Finally decided to pass before she hit the brakes (again) for no reason. The kicker? She had 3 (THREE) small children in the back seat....unrestrained!!! I know that's a long story to put on this but it came to mind when I made the observation about texting and the wreck...probably the reason I thought of it. And, have had no internet since Friday so guess I've got all these little things "bubbling" around in my head.
I think the point many of us stress is having a TV not sized for your trailer which can result in situations exactly like this. Its not that you can just pull something, can you control it, is it legal. This could have been a 2500 (I can pull that) towing a TH or worse a tri axle. Its a matter of protecting those in your TV, as well as, others on the road. when I meet these combinations on the road, first thing to come to mind is to get away from this potential accident My two cents, Be Safe
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:01 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

It's be said many times on this forum, "you don't know what you don't know". It's like shooting paper targets vs real life experience of having someone shooting back at you. I'll take the experienced partner (and their advice) any day. JMHO
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #16
Gegrad

Hard to say what their payload was, etc. We have a state vehicle (2015 Expedition 4X4 with the ecoboost, stripper model) with a yellow sticker payload of 2200 lbs. I peeked at it a few months ago after learning all about payload on here and was shocked to learn a standard expedition had that much payload. I have no idea what an Armada has, but that isn't a large trailer. I would posit that towing without a WDH and the weather/road conditions played the largest factor in this one, not vehicle issues.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:55 PM   #17
cookinwitdiesel

I agree, the vehicle alone is not suspect. An Armada is about as big as a Tahoe/Expedition. The hitch situation is reprehensible however. And as noted, while it CAN tow, it will not be fun and is potentially unsafe.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #18
Carrottop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Hard to say what their payload was, etc. We have a state vehicle (2015 Expedition 4X4 with the ecoboost, stripper model) with a yellow sticker payload of 2200 lbs. I peeked at it a few months ago after learning all about payload on here and was shocked to learn a standard expedition had that much payload. I have no idea what an Armada has, but that isn't a large trailer. I would posit that towing without a WDH and the weather/road conditions played the largest factor in this one, not vehicle issues.
The payload of an Armada Platinum which that one seems to be is around the 1300 and change. I have a 2015 platinum and it has 1380.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #19
BadmanRick

I see all the comments reference this accident. No one has mentioned WIND. If the wind caused this accident then even with a wdh, anti sway bar/hitch etc. it could not be avoided. I have seen Semi trucks blown over in the wind. Yes a wdh and anti sway should be on this vehicle. It may not have made a difference.
I towed my 2011 Bullet Premier 19’ trailer with a Toyota 4 runner. Not a vehicle for towing this size trailer. Had a heck of a time with trucks and busses passing me and blowing me off the road. I upgraded to a Toyota Tundra. Problem solved. No problem with wind, trucks or busses. Just sayin.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #20
Blackrock

I came across something like that only a little worse in Yellowstone Park this summer.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote