Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #1
KOZKO

Norcold 2118 PolarMax Fridge Not running on A/C

It was only running on gas and the displace said NO A/C, but it was plugged in. No breakers were tripped and the microwave clock was on so I decided to check the power at the outlet in the outside fridge compartment and found no A/C. After checking some outlets on the inside I realized, the fridge was not really broken, just the GFCI was tripped. SOOOOOO... the lesson learned here was:
There are 3 outlets on the GFCI
1. Fridge A/C
2. kitchen sink outlet
3. bathroom room sink outlet.

The weird thing is the reset button is only on the bathroom sink outlet! Since they are all tied together, they all affect each other, so if one is tripped then they’re all tripped! So if you bump the button on the bathroom outlet then you shut off the refrigerator A/C

2018 Laredo 340FL
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7L Cummins Diesel (6’4” bed)
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
B&W Turnoverball
JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers
KOZKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Frank G

I think you will find the rest of the 110V outlets are tied into the same GFIC in the bathroom. Exceptions are microwave, waterheater, converter, A/C units and fireplace. There is a small fuse on the refrigerator control board located on the back of the refrigerator.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:22 PM   #3
mldawes48

Hello

I have a 2018 Raptor model 398 with a Norcold 2118 Fridge. And of course it is out of factory warranty.
I have only had the unit out three times and had it plugged into 120V / 20 amps for a couple weeks at home with the fridge being on electric, working fine on electric. The times I was out with it, it was set on 6 and running on GAS, Freezer was at 10 degrees and the fridge was running around 39 degrees. I was getting ready to go again so I brought it home and plugged it in, with the fridge on electric freezer would get 10 to 14 degrees with the fridge 60 to 70 degrees, this is after 2 days running on electric, the fridge in on a slide and after going over several threads hear checking issues I found the "made in American" sticker was rubbing on the left door bar and not closing flat. Cleaned sticker off and took door off and place thin fiber glass washer on bottom door pin, lubed and now LH door bar closes. Also with door off found that the bottom of the front fridge door seal have popped out and would not let the door seal do it's job, popped that back in replaced door left over night and freezer at 9 degrees and fridge at 65 degrees. Called Lazy days for appointment for repair.
night before I took it in for repairs I closed the slide so as I could just leave in the morning. Next morning before I disconnected the electric I run the slide out a ways and checked the fridge, low and behold fridge was at 39 degrees with freezer at 9 degrees. UNBELIVABLE!!
I took it into Lazy Days, service writer told me only way to check a temperature is in a glass of water inside the fridge with a mercury thermometer AND the FRIDGE WILL BE 35 DEGREES WARMER THAN THE FREEZER and will be within tolerance. SO FREEZER at 10 degrees it is okay for fridge to be at 45 degrees, that is not practical for perishables in a fridge to survive. WHAT SAY?? disbeliever in service writer's statement.
mldawes48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:36 AM   #4
Frank G

What are safe or optimal refrigerator temperatures, I cannot answer. We have well over 400 days living with the 4 door Norcold and 10 deg freezer and 39 deg refrigerator set on 6 is about right. Set on 5 and you will start freezing eggs if set on the top left shelf. Things to remember; the unit will not operate like a conventional unit. The fuller it is the more constant the temps will be. We have remote temperature indicators for both the freezer and refrigerator so we don't have to open the doors to check it. Grazing is a no no, get in get out. Our refrigerator is on the south side and it struggles in the afternoon sun. This Norcold has a automatic defrost cycle, don't look at the temperature gauges, you will think it's broke. When in defrost mode it will fill the back water collection tray if the drain hose is plugged. Lastly 10 and 15 deg is not ideal for firm Ice Cream, or long term food storage. We purchase a lot of meat & fish items from Costco, vacuum pack them in usable portions and use them within a month, all is good.

Despite all the negatives we have learned to live with it and have never lost any food due to spoilage that was not our fault. It works great going down the road, for that reason we would do it again. I like my Ice Cream but really don't need it. Ouch
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #5
mldawes48

Frank G

Thank you Frank G for your input in this business every bit of INFO is helpful.
Thank You

MLDawes48
mldawes48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #6
travelin texans

A small battery powered fridge fan in the bottom of the fridge also helps a great deal. The fan cost $10-12 & probably spent $100 on batteries, but well worth it. We used our Norcold fulltime for 6 + years without any issues.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge