Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
TheRealMacGyver

2015 Passport 238ML Roof Leaking!!!!

So far the dealer is not sounding like they will be easy to deal with! Bought this new in December 2014. Maybe took 8-9 trips, most 2 hours away, and the farthest was 4 hours away. Anyhow, I now have it covered in a tarp, because they can't make any appointments for over a month from now! This is really not making me happy at all, and I can't imagine that the company would be happy knowing their dealers are providing this sort of service. Here are some pics:

This one shows how there is a belly that holds water!

The fiberglass seams to be delaminated and buckling.

Is this what we can expect after owning a Keystone for 21 months?
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Tbos

Re: 2015 Passport 238ML Roof Leaking!!!!

I had a leak earlier this year and it was the clearance light. A lot of dealers make you wait. Hopefully the tarp is stopping the leak for now. Park the TT with the front real high so it won't hold water. If you don't have a dehumidifier running in there you should. Good luck.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:58 AM   #3
TheRealMacGyver

The dealer is saying November 4 is the soonest appointment. Then they will look it over to determine if I did not maintain it properly. After that ir could be $159 per hour to determine problem! To me this should be 100% warranty work. Am I missing something? Also, they said anyone that does warranty work for Keystone could work on it. What good exactly is the largest RV dealer if they can't provide service?
Old 10-05-2016, 04:54 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

You bought it in Dec 2014, it's now Oct 2016. That's just a bit shy of 2 years. If you read the owners manual provided by Keystone when you bought it, I bet there is a statement about regular maintenance. Roof seals are something that falls in this category, and while I understand your frustration, without proof of any inspections, or maintenance your in for a long road.

The "biggest" RV dealer may very well be the busiest one, and they will only have X number of bays and techs.

I'm not trying to defend keystone or the dealer, nor am I trying to minimize your issue, but I've seen this before and 2 years after purchase, the roof and seals should have been inspected at least a couple of times.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You bought it in Dec 2014, it's now Oct 2016. That's just a bit shy of 2 years. If you read the owners manual provided by Keystone when you bought it, I bet there is a statement about regular maintenance. Roof seals are something that falls in this category, and while I understand your frustration, without proof of any inspections, or maintenance your in for a long road.

The "biggest" RV dealer may very well be the busiest one, and they will only have X number of bays and techs.

I'm not trying to defend keystone or the dealer, nor am I trying to minimize your issue, but I've seen this before and 2 years after purchase, the roof and seals should have been inspected at least a couple of times.

^^This is exactly why I have my roof inspected/sealed etc. every 6-9 months by the dealer. I keep the receipts and description of work performed in my RV folder in the event something like this ever happens.

I feel for you and hope you have a good ending to the issue. Beyond Keystone you could check into the roofing manufacturer and see if there's anything they can do or extended warranty if you have it. Good Luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #6
mfifield01

What warranty is on the roof?

I purchased Dicor and touched up some areas at the 6 month mark on mine. I plan to inspect again next month. If you have an issue, what proof do you need to show?
Old 10-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

The warranty on the roof is for the membrane. If a person did their own inspections/maintenance I don't know how it would be documented. I suppose a time/date stamped photo would be good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #8
TheRealMacGyver

Finally this Saturday is my appointment to drop off. I will post updates as I go through this. In my mind there is only one solution and that is full warranty repair with zero out of pocket from me. There is absolutely no excuse to explain a leak on a trailer less than 2 years old.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMacGyver View Post
Finally this Saturday is my appointment to drop off. I will post updates as I go through this. In my mind there is only one solution and that is full warranty repair with zero out of pocket from me. There is absolutely no excuse to explain a leak on a trailer less than 2 years old.
Good Luck with your repairs. I'm just guessing here, but I'd strongly suspect that you're going to hit a "brick wall" when you start pressing for a "full warranty repair with zero out of pocket". If you do manage that, you'll be among the "hen's teeth" that have been successful. I'm thinking you'll have a very strenuous uphill climb just to get the dealership to even consider asking Keystone to consider a warranty repair.

Again, good luck and let us know how things turn out.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
TheRealMacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Good Luck with your repairs. I'm just guessing here, but I'd strongly suspect that you're going to hit a "brick wall" when you start pressing for a "full warranty repair with zero out of pocket". If you do manage that, you'll be among the "hen's teeth" that have been successful. I'm thinking you'll have a very strenuous uphill climb just to get the dealership to even consider asking Keystone to consider a warranty repair.

Again, good luck and let us know how things turn out.
I am not sure why you would say all that, or why that kind of service would be acceptable to anyone. If your truck roof started leaking, would you expect Ford to repair it?

Anyhow, I will let you know what happens, but I inspected and see no signs of anything suspicious. The dealer did change the AC under warranty and I wonder if they screwed that up?
Old 10-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMacGyver View Post
I am not sure why you would say all that, or why that kind of service would be acceptable to anyone. If your truck roof started leaking, would you expect Ford to repair it?

Anyhow, I will let you know what happens, but I inspected and see no signs of anything suspicious. The dealer did change the AC under warranty and I wonder if they screwed that up?
Don't get your hopes up, Keystone provides a 12 month warranty and your RV is 21 months old. That means it's 11 months "out of warranty" and from my previous experience as well as those of the vast majority of members of this forum, Keystone has not "honored an expired warranty" for any roof leaks, especially without extensive "proof of maintenance" in the past.

As for Ford, if my truck has a 36 month warranty and it's 72 months old when the roof starts leaking, no I wouldn't expect Ford to repair it. I might say, it would be "very nice of Ford, if they did", but no, I wouldn't "expect it".....Would you?

As for the dealership replacing the A/C and that causing the leak???? First of all, the A/C is at least 10' from where it's leaking. Secondly, if that were, by some "fluke chance" the reason for the leak, you'd see evidence of the leak along the entire ceiling, from the A/C all the way to the front of the RV where your pictures indicate the leak exists. I'd strongly suspect that your leak originated from damaged/defective/improperly maintained DICOR roof sealant along the front cap/roof union, probably where your picture shows the aluminum molding and aged DICOR.

Essentially, the reason I "said all that" is because I don't believe Keystone is going to even acknowledge responsibility for the problem this far out from warranty expiration with no "irrefutable evidence of your consistent, scheduled roof inspection/maintenance actions".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:56 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

The poster asked is this what happens after 21 months. Yes. I hate this type of post. All and every RV needs maintenance. Either from the owner or a rv dealer. NO matter much or how little the RV is used, things can leak or break. I have had several RVs develop leaks. It happens and happens a lot more if the owner did not read or pay attention to a good salesman. My salesman talked about maintenance of the roof. My Keystone manual spells it out well. It speaks of periodic washing the roof and seams/joints need maintenance often. Also advises to inspect the roof at least every 90 days. Lastly they do not maintain the joints/seams after it leaves the factory. It says that is the responsibility of the owner. My last rv a Artic Fox, which is a lot more money than a Keystone trailer said nearly the same thing about the roof. And it leaked and cost me 1200 because I did not inspect it enough.
I highly doubt that all that damage was caused in only a short time. But, even so, is the factory responsible. It could be if it left the factory with a leak. I doubt that can be proved or not.
I do feel bad for the owner, it is a real terrible thing to see that type of damage. But, I doubt Keystone has anything to do with the failure.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:17 PM   #13
temccarthy1

What are those "dents" in the front? Did you hit something at some point?

Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet Ultralite 285RLS TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L V8 Triton
Equalizer E2 WD Hitch
temccarthy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #14
TheRealMacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by temccarthy1 View Post
What are those "dents" in the front? Did you hit something at some point?
Those dents are delaminated from the water damage! I have maintained this and inspected the roof, etc. Did not park it under a tree and leave it there with bracnches falling all over it. Roof inspection looks like it is brand new and needs nothing.

Spoke to service guy today and he told me they are seeing A BUNCH OF PASSPORTS WITH LEAKING ROOFS! Pretty much told me the only chance I have is to contact Keystone, but they cannot do anything for me. So, I will contact them and see what they will do. I am still amazed that some of you speak as if this is completely acceptable or worse, are trying to blame the problem on me!
Old 11-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #15
mfifield01

I inspected mine at 6 months and 12 months. At 6, I didn't see much concern on the seals. At 12, I saw areas that needed to be resealed. I cleaned the whole roof and sealed those areas. The areas were seams and not the roof itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #16
Tbos

I did some spot sealing at the 6 month mark and the dealer just did some at the 12 month mark. I had a leak in the spring caused by the upper left clearance light. The RTV had cracked around it. I fixed that myself. Fortunately we were camping when it started to leak. Hope it goes well for you.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:27 PM   #17
Ken / Claudia

So, just to help us understand. What was the last date you inspected the roof and all was great. Followed by did you find the problem after the inside ceiling/wall showed water marks or did you find the delamb and leaks at the seam first.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:09 AM   #18
pgokou

I guess this is why they are making a recall for my passports roof.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
pgokou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgokou View Post
I guess this is why they are making a recall for my passports roof.

Got a link? Only active recalls I'm aware of is for A/C wiring and axles.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #20
pgokou

My dealer was the one who sent me the letter. I dont know if they were instructed by keystone.

pgokou is offline   Reply With Quote