Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

FL Bound - Away we Go!

Well, leaving for FL tomorrow morning! We have always loved hitting the FL panhandle because my daughter moved to Tallahassee, plus, we love the fishing villages and people.

This trip has a lot of angst to it due to hurricane Michael. The little laid back, beautiful towns appear to have been devastated. The park owner has said they would be OK by Dec. 1 when we check in (staying in Crystal River for Nov.) but on down the coastal highway (98) all of our favorite little towns look to be hurting.

If you have never been to the FL panhandle and spent time in some of the backwoods places you've missed some very good people. They would give you the shirts off their backs if it was the only thing they had. I am taking my normal traveling "stuff" along with 4 compressors, my air nailers, various tools, ladders etc; - as much as I can, to try to help where I can. Hopefully we will have a nice winter like we did last year and we can accomplish some good for those that have been impacted so terribly.

Once there I plan on giving the forum members an update; I don't know what to expect or how much we can be of assistance; but we want to, we know a lot of folks there and they don't have much. Until then.....( we take 4 nights to get there)
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Safe travels. Looking forward to your update and hopefully pictures.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
Hankster

Safe travels, and anxiously awaiting reports back. My sister lives in Sunny Hills (Chipley) and has her husband's family in Southport, and Lynn Haven, and a few are in Appalachicola. My sister's place sustained very little damage, and were without power until the 18th. She says many of the grocery stores, and gas stations are open limited hours if they're even open at all. Panama City and surrounding areas are.goung to be a long time getting back to normal. Out of her co-workers 9 of 22 people have lost there homes, or there homes are uninhabitable.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:05 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Safe travels, my friend.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:11 AM   #5
JimQ

Safe travels Danny and Susan!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

FL trip update

We arrived in Crystal River this afternoon. Haven't looked around much so will do that tomorrow. This area was not impacted by the hurricane that I can tell.

I will say this; I have seen the aftermath of tornadoes and other hurricanes at times, but I have never seen the devastation of just plain old forests as I saw coming down I 10. A tornado will cut a swath, maybe up to a mile wide, destroying stuff. We could tell we were coming into the path of the hurricane because we started seeing downed trees and they became more and more numerous. Then we got to the stretch that would be immediately north of Mexico Beach and that area. I've never seen anything like it, entire areas (huge) of pine trees cut off, like grass that had been cut with a lawn mower. Not some, or most, ALL the trees cut off at a uniform height like big sticks. Not for a mile of two but 10s and 10s of miles. Rest areas were closed for approx. 90 miles (and they have some really nice rest areas thru there), saw one and you could barely see the nice building due to all the pine trees laying all over it.

We will be here for Nov. hoping that our friend is able to restore his park over by Tallahassee. Then, hopefully, we will be there and able to try to see what can be done. Lots and lots of restoration crews and vehicles - and we aren't even near the hard hit areas. Your heart can't help but ache for these folks. All my life I thought of hurricanes as a hard blowing straight wind and you just had to get some cover - we experience cat. 1 hurricane winds in our part of the country. A tornado, in my mind, was something FAR worse than a hurricane. WRONG! I've seen the immediate aftermath of an F5 tornado (Lubbock, TX) and although terrible, limited in scope. It seemed the hurricane devastation wasn't going to end - and we haven't even seen the damage from the surge. I wish I had been able to take pics of the forests - they were unbelievable to me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Glad your there safe and sound. Mother Nature isn’t one to take lightly and I can just imagine what you were uttering as you drove. Anyway, pics when you can. Give our best to those impacted.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote