Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
Racebug

Fiberglass repair

Well after 35 trips and roughly 80-100 hook ups, I finally get a little too distracted while hooking up the 5er. My german shedherd jumped into the bed while I was backing up to eyeball my height before hooking (nose was low) and corner of my bed rail got the front cap. Im not afraid to try fixing it, but not sure how to go about it. I did some fiberglass work once about 30 years ago and have done a little bondo before. Any advice on this one? How would the dealer go about fixing it? Luckly the truck will be 100% after a little touch up paint!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0919181931_resized.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	18600  

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #2
gkainz

google West Marine Fiberglass Repair for both the parts/kit, as well as on youtube for repair ideas and videos.

Or if you have a boat shop close, they usually do a good job at a reasonable rate, from what I've heard (no personal experience there).
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #3
travelin texans

Check your local body or boat shops.
I doubt your rv dealer would do it & if so would you want them to, they would probably just order a new front cap.
Good thing it wasn't one of those all aluminum trucks, probably would've been totalled. LOL!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
Racebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Check your local body or boat shops.
I doubt your rv dealer would do it & if so would you want them to, they would probably just order a new front cap.
Good thing it wasn't one of those all aluminum trucks, probably would've been totalled. LOL!
Haha, didn't even think of that! I will use that when my ford driving neighbor tries to give me the business about it!

I think I may try it myself, but painting is not my strongest skill to say the least

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

For fiberglass repair I'd first look at a good marine repair facility. Most do fiberglass every day and are very proficient in the process. If none are available, I'd next look at auto body shops that specialize in Corvette repair. There's a world of difference in repairing fiberglass and metal. What works for metal "might" fall out in the winter when the metal contracts or "might" pull apart in the spring when the sun hits it and the metal expands. Fiberglass doesn't have those properties and repairs are different.

If you do decide to do it yourself, getting the "over a cup of coffee" advice from someone at one of the above repair shops will go far to help you familiarize yourself with what you need to do.

Painting is not my strong suit either. I'd be inclined to get a local print shop to make me a couple of decals, one for each side that compliment the trailer and cover the repair. If thought out correctly, no painting required, just use the decal to hide your handiwork.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #6
Old Mustanger

get a forum decal to cover the repair
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass