Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
rmcspeterson

tail light won't work

We have a 2013 331MKS 5th wheel. The rear tail lights on the trailer both stopped working recently. In both cases, this is the first time I have had to replace either tail light. I was able to replace the bulb on the passenger side of the trailer with no problem and it works as it is supposed to. My problem is the driver side of the trailer. I tried replacing the bulb with the correct bulb. (Note, the old bulb did not actually look burned out.) I was able to get the new bulb to shine dimly when the headlights of the truck are on, but it will not show brake or turn signal lights. After several attempts, I took it to our local Camping World. The tech there had the same problem. He visually inspected the trailer fuses and did not see any that looked problematic. So I am currently without a working tail light on the driver side of the trailer.

I have an appointment to take it back to Camping World mid-week for the problem to be diagnosed. The diagnosis will be $200 plus tax.

If anyone has had this experience before and might have some suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I hate spending $200. Thanks!!
rmcspeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

$200 for "diagnosis"?? That's off the charts. If I'm reading correctly you have 1 (ONE) malfunctioning light on the driver side rear? You took it to CW, they looked at it and didn't fix it? That just doesn't seem right to me.

Do you have, and can you use, a volt meter? The lamps are simply battery to ground with a filament in the middle, you need to check your leads with a meter at the lamp and find what is missing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

On a 2013 trailer (6 years old) my guess would be corrosion on a connector behind the tail light assembly or on the contacts inside the bulb socket. I say that because you indicate BOTH tail lights had the problem and they "fixed" one by replacing the bulb.

Either way (corrosion or bad connection), it's DEFINITELY not a $200 "adventure"..... My first suggestion would be to use a flat blade screw driver and clean off the contacts inside the socket. try that, if it doesn't work, then start checking the "twist cap connections" behind the light fixture (make sure you have some butyl putty tape to reseal the fixture when you reinstall it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:14 AM   #4
German Shepherd Guy

Sounds like a bad ground connection. John's suggestion will most likely fix it. "Camping World" must be a wonderful place with HUGE overhead.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:26 AM   #5
ChuckS

I would start your trouble shooting at your truck 7 pin connector..since you have no brake or turn signal light on drivers side clean both the truck and RV seven pin connector paying attention to specific pin for that side...

If you have a meter or 12 volt test lit you can verify you have 12 volts DC at the truck connector..

If you don’t have a multi meter go buy and inexpensive one and google “how to use a multi meter”. You will save yourself lots of money and it’s quite easy to use a meter to diagnose issues

Once you have verified that then work from RV side connector and drivers side light socket..

A small brash brush will do a nice job of cleaning all the contacts without removing more metal from the connector and socket contacts..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF2345CA-6AB3-49EC-9CEA-CD4695722872.jpeg
Views:	1423
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	19961  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #6
rmcspeterson

Thanks. I will look at that.
rmcspeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

As a RVer or any trailer tower, get dielectric silicone compound or bulb grease. Should put some on the connector between the TV/RV every year. That alone will end most problems. When you replace a bulb put a little bulb grease on the connection points. Both available at any auto parts store. Those will not help a broken filament or a grounding short somewhere in the system. But it should be the 1st thing to try before taking bulbs out fuse checking etc.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
Just chillin

Usually when that happens it is loss of ground at that light housing. The reason you were getting the light to come on dimmly is because it was backfeeding through the brake light wiring.
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:27 AM   #9
ChuckS

Wonder if you got your tail light issues fixed.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #10
Dadwoolery

I have a lot of trailers, many do not get used frequently and have run in to this before. As stated in earlier posts, it is usually corrosion. I found spraying some WD 40 in the connection and working it in and out has fixed the issue most of the time.
2000 Ford F350 DRW, 7.3 Powerstroke
Dadwoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
bbells

Many newer tow vehicles or trucks have a fuse just for the trailer tail lights. Brake lights and turn signals will work when the fuse is blown, but the tail lights won't. Check the fuse in your truck.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:35 AM   #12
oldtimer

Although I am an old guy that has done a lot of 120/240V wiring with both neutral and ground wires leading back to the electric box, I never knew that there is no ground "wire" coming from any of the lights until I recently rewired a 16' cargo trailer. I felt kinda stupid because it was "obvious" that the trailer itself is the "wire" leading to it being grounded on the negative pole on the battery. So, you likely need only to check the way the light is connected to the trailer frame or bracket, maybe scratch or sand it a bit to remove dirt, rust, corrosion, etc., and make sure that there is a "hot" wire coming from the 7-way or other plug in the front of the trailer for flasher/stop/tail lights.
But... I suppose you already knew this. If so, ignore my comment.
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
UsTwo

Just had the same thing happen this last oct.. replaced bulbs - nothing.. replaced 7 way at truck, still nothing went to Northern Tool, picked up a 7 way plug tester for truck and trailer, ( 13 bucks) still nothing.. at this point I know it was the truck.. looked at fuses, really couldn't tell if the fuse was blown or not.. I just replaced them .. Everything works..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:35 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Oldtimer,

The majority of tail light assemblies on Keystone products are mounted on the fiberglass (FILON) skin and are not "screwed to the steel frame". I think you'll find a green wire behind almost every tail light assembly on any RV.

It's not the same on utility trailers, boat trailers or even many vehicles, but travel trailers typically do have a ground wire that runs from the light fixture to the chassis ground.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:44 PM   #15
BadmanRick

Try checking the ground wires if the light is dim that is usually the problem. You should have access under the rear of the trailer. If your bottom is covered drop the cover the grounds may be there at the frame.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #16
DGB

I agree that a bad ground is the first thing to eliminate. I had nearly the exact thing several years ago on a motorhome. All it took was to connect a new ground to a clean spot on the frame and it solved the problem.
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #17
Badbart56

I had the same issue with both of my F350's over the years. Not sure what kind of truck the OP has but it's likely to be one of the towing fuses in the under hood fuse box. There are separate fuses just for trailer lights, both park and turn/brake lights. On my current Ford I believe it's numbers 26 and 99. The truck's lights will operate as normal but the trailer's lights won't.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #18
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcspeterson View Post
We have a 2013 331MKS 5th wheel. The rear tail lights on the trailer both stopped working recently. In both cases, this is the first time I have had to replace either tail light. I was able to replace the bulb on the passenger side of the trailer with no problem and it works as it is supposed to. My problem is the driver side of the trailer. I tried replacing the bulb with the correct bulb. (Note, the old bulb did not actually look burned out.) I was able to get the new bulb to shine dimly when the headlights of the truck are on, but it will not show brake or turn signal lights. After several attempts, I took it to our local Camping World. The tech there had the same problem. He visually inspected the trailer fuses and did not see any that looked problematic. So I am currently without a working tail light on the driver side of the trailer.

I have an appointment to take it back to Camping World mid-week for the problem to be diagnosed. The diagnosis will be $200 plus tax.

If anyone has had this experience before and might have some suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I hate spending $200. Thanks!!

getting a dim light with headlights on is an indication of a lost ground. The current will back feed and find a ground back through the circuit somewhere. Chech the ground contact at the plug and if it's good pull the tail light housing and us you meter. As stated in other posts, it's probably a corroded connection.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light