Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2019, 04:58 AM   #21
Canonman

You probably already have, but check the opening dates for North Rim. I believe May 15 is what they plan for. Check for camping around Jacob's Lake. There are a couple of Forest Service campgrounds close by but still several miles outside the park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3879.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	20005  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:57 AM   #22
ddibon

Great job. Consider Big Bend National Park. Big Bend Ranch State Park is 15 miles away. Combined together over 1.5 million acres exit for exploring. If your RV is greater than 30-foot length you will need to stay in Terlingua. A number of RV sites exist there. Best to you.
ddibon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #23
Mainer

Did 16000 miles, 5 months in 2015 from Maine. Most of it was Glacier down to Northern Arizona. Red Rock Canyon 15 mi. west of Bryce is less crowded. Goblin State Park and nearby Bell & Little Wild Horse Canyons are good. Check out Spooky and Peekaboo Canyons. Wire Pass Canyon is near "The Wave" and doesn't need reservations (talked to the Ranger where they give out permits, 170 people were waiting when he opened hoping to get one of 10 available permits). All of the big parks will have crowds, Bryce was a zoo, Red Rock, didn't see a soul till we got near the Visitor Center. Arches and Canyonlands, very few people venture far on trails. Zion, bus up and bike back down, if you are tempted by Angels Landing, do Walters Wiggles to the junction then take the West Rim trail, not far (and level) you get almost as good a view and you don't fight people hanging on to the chains, WATCH THE KIDS! Nine mile Canyon would be fun for the kids, finding rock art!. Fruita (Capital Reef) to Bryce through Escalante on Rt 12 is fantastic, take it slow!. We missed Butler Wash and Combs Ridge (not paved), will be back. We could spend months in South East Utah alone. Enjoy your trip, make sure you have plenty of water when you hit the trail, dehydration is not fun and can be deadly.
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:14 PM   #24
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
Did 16000 miles, 5 months in 2015 from Maine. Most of it was Glacier down to Northern Arizona. Red Rock Canyon 15 mi. west of Bryce is less crowded. Goblin State Park and nearby Bell & Little Wild Horse Canyons are good. Check out Spooky and Peekaboo Canyons. Wire Pass Canyon is near "The Wave" and doesn't need reservations (talked to the Ranger where they give out permits, 170 people were waiting when he opened hoping to get one of 10 available permits). All of the big parks will have crowds, Bryce was a zoo, Red Rock, didn't see a soul till we got near the Visitor Center. Arches and Canyonlands, very few people venture far on trails. Zion, bus up and bike back down, if you are tempted by Angels Landing, do Walters Wiggles to the junction then take the West Rim trail, not far (and level) you get almost as good a view and you don't fight people hanging on to the chains, WATCH THE KIDS! Nine mile Canyon would be fun for the kids, finding rock art!. Fruita (Capital Reef) to Bryce through Escalante on Rt 12 is fantastic, take it slow!. We missed Butler Wash and Combs Ridge (not paved), will be back. We could spend months in South East Utah alone. Enjoy your trip, make sure you have plenty of water when you hit the trail, dehydration is not fun and can be deadly.
Thanks for the suggestions. Boy, wish we had 5 months to visit the area. Years ago, I lived in the Phoenix area for 12 months as a contractor and worked almost exclusively. Didn't bother to wonder out beyond the metropolis, except for a few trips into Vegas and California. Now, I'm making up for it with the family and the pre-trip research. Thanks again.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #25
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
You probably already have, but check the opening dates for North Rim. I believe May 15 is what they plan for. Check for camping around Jacob's Lake. There are a couple of Forest Service campgrounds close by but still several miles outside the park.
Brian, I just confirmed your beliefs. Does that mean that only the visitor center is closed? Or can we visit the area weather permitting?

Old 02-02-2019, 08:28 AM   #26
snelson600

Suggestions

Navajo Loop at Bryce Canyon! Wonderful!

I agree with bsmith0404. Even though it is a little south of your probable route, White Sands should be a MUST, especially for kids, no matter how old. Be sure to have some "sleds", larger pieces of cardboard work just fine for sliding down the sand dunes! (I used a road atlas ).

Also, a suggestion: If you are taking I80 through Illinois, spend a night at Starved Rock State Park, Utica (exit hwy 178). Wonderful waterfalls this time of year, spring flowers, sandstone bluffs on the Illinois River.(IMHO should be a national park!)

Also use Campendium.com to scout out your BLM stops. I always read the reviews to try to determine if the site works for our rig. Many times I call gas stations in the area to ask their opinion of access, etc. and If I can get water there at their station. Generally they are lots of help. Also calling the controlling forest service helps.

Also, Boondockers Welcome is a great group of people who can help you out with an overnight stay at their home at no charge. (You must become a member, under $20/year. But once you get 3 recommendations from the people you stay with, you get a free year!) Many times water and electric are available. We are members and had 23 different rigs stopover at our place last year. Enjoyable!

Have a safe trip!
snelson600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #27
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson600 View Post
Navajo Loop at Bryce Canyon! Wonderful!

I agree with bsmith0404. Even though it is a little south of your probable route, White Sands should be a MUST, especially for kids, no matter how old. Be sure to have some "sleds", larger pieces of cardboard work just fine for sliding down the sand dunes! (I used a road atlas ).

Also, a suggestion: If you are taking I80 through Illinois, spend a night at Starved Rock State Park, Utica (exit hwy 178). Wonderful waterfalls this time of year, spring flowers, sandstone bluffs on the Illinois River.(IMHO should be a national park!)

Also use Campendium.com to scout out your BLM stops. I always read the reviews to try to determine if the site works for our rig. Many times I call gas stations in the area to ask their opinion of access, etc. and If I can get water there at their station. Generally they are lots of help. Also calling the controlling forest service helps.

Also, Boondockers Welcome is a great group of people who can help you out with an overnight stay at their home at no charge. (You must become a member, under $20/year. But once you get 3 recommendations from the people you stay with, you get a free year!) Many times water and electric are available. We are members and had 23 different rigs stopover at our place last year. Enjoyable!

Have a safe trip!
Thanks for the suggestions Susan. White Sands national monument is a must do. Unfortunately we have a lot of "must do's". We may try to fit it in on the trip out to AZ if weather conditions in the north aren't favorable in late March. Our plans are I40 west through Albuquerque then to the Petrified Forest NP on into Phoenix. I'm trying to see how we can make it happen. Our kids love the dunes.

Campendium is becoming my favorite resource to scout BLM and dispersed camping options. Freecampsites.net is number two.

We'll look into a Boondockers Welcome membership. Don't know if it's a fit for this trip as we're beelining to the southwest from Michigan in just 2 days. Walmart asphalts are convenient for a quick overnight near the highway. But I just played around with the site. Looks like there are a good amount of options...some even have full hookups! Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Brian, I just confirmed your beliefs. Does that mean that only the visitor center is closed? Or can we visit the area weather permitting?

Chris, you might want to do a real time update on that road as the time gets near. We went one year, I believe the last week of May or the first week of June, drove around from Mesquite, NV with the intent of going to the N Rim. At the junction at Jacob Lake the road was barricaded and closed (due to snow if I recall). I had not checked access with the "assumption" it would be open - it wasn't and that was a fairly long jaunt for nothing.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #29
Steve/

With the trip you have plan, I would do a drive thru of Petrified Forest NP, you could stop at one of the over looks and stretch your legs.
Depending on your stopping point look at HOMOLOVI RUINS STATE PARK, just east of Winslow, the visitor center was design by Frank Wight, check out the restrooms.
Close to Winslow is the Rock Art Canyon Ranch, it private but if you get the old man, he worth the tour and the art work in the canyon is great.
Before Flagstaff is Walnut Canyon National Monument. It has a good walk around.
See you could spend years seeing everything in this part of the West.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:48 AM   #30
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Chris, you might want to do a real time update on that road as the time gets near. We went one year, I believe the last week of May or the first week of June, drove around from Mesquite, NV with the intent of going to the N Rim. At the junction at Jacob Lake the road was barricaded and closed (due to snow if I recall). I had not checked access with the "assumption" it would be open - it wasn't and that was a fairly long jaunt for nothing.
Yes, we'll be using an arsenal of weather apps, radars, alternative routes, and park phone numbers in order to make our trip efficient. I don't believe the North rim will be a go on this trip from what I've read. Just something that we'll put on our bucket list for the next trip. Much of the trip will be last minute planning. Thank God for the internet. I still don't know how people survived 25+ years ago when our current day online technical resources didn't exist. No live radar? No Google Maps? No realtime weather forecasts? Oh, the humanity!!

Old 02-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #31
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve/ View Post
With the trip you have plan, I would do a drive thru of Petrified Forest NP, you could stop at one of the over looks and stretch your legs.
Depending on your stopping point look at HOMOLOVI RUINS STATE PARK, just east of Winslow, the visitor center was design by Frank Wight, check out the restrooms.
Close to Winslow is the Rock Art Canyon Ranch, it private but if you get the old man, he worth the tour and the art work in the canyon is great.
Before Flagstaff is Walnut Canyon National Monument. It has a good walk around.
See you could spend years seeing everything in this part of the West.
I know, we'll be back many times for sure. Just want to get our first trip in the books to get our kids (and myself) excited for future travels. Thanks for the advice. We do plan on driving through Petrified. Rock Art Canyon Ranch would be nice to visit. It has high ratings on Trip Advisor. Is Mr Baird the old man you speak of? His mentioned many times in the reviews.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:20 PM   #32
Canonman

Quote:
Best to check with the Park. You can contact the south rim office any time for specifics. Some friends of mine snowshoed from the locked gate to the Angel Canyon overlook but everything else was closed.
Do you have an idea where you'd camp at north rim?
Old 02-02-2019, 05:58 PM   #33
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Best to check with the Park. You can contact the south rim office any time for specifics. Some friends of mine snowshoed from the locked gate to the Angel Canyon overlook but everything else was closed.
Do you have an idea where you'd camp at north rim?
We won't be doing any snow showing with the little ones on this trip. lol It looks one would need a back country permit in order to camp off forest service roads near the North Rim. As far as camping, we'd look for either primitive or dispersed sites outside the park.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #34
Canonman

I'd honestly forego North Rim and visit the South Rim. Mather CG is inside the park and has sites big enough for your rig. Like most National Park CGs it's dry camping. The sites are well spaced and we never felt "crowded". Being inside the park makes everything very convenient. Bonus, there are elk everywhere! And, deer. Plus the scenery is't bad either
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2167 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	20136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1825.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	20137   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2188 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	20138  
Old 02-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #35
bfam5

Mather has one way loops with pull through sites on both sides. Be sure to pick the right side of the loop.

2017 Springdale 260TBWE
2009 Rockwood HW276 (sold)
2006 Ford F150 SCrew 4x4 6.5' bed
bfam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #36
busterbrown

Thanks Brian and Joe. Love the pics Brian. Can't wait to see the view in person.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:05 PM   #37
Steve/

Quote:
I know, we'll be back many times for sure. Just want to get our first trip in the books to get our kids (and myself) excited for future travels. Thanks for the advice. We do plan on driving through Petrified. Rock Art Canyon Ranch would be nice to visit. It has high ratings on Trip Advisor. Is Mr Baird the old man you speak of? His mentioned many times in the reviews.
That could also be the son . The old man (owner and kids) some time the kids do the tour. The stories the old man tell growing up on the ranch are priceless. He has that old time humor when telling stories.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:59 PM   #38
ajk170

BB- looking at all the posts I think I missed the route you're going to take but it sounds like you're staying well north of I-10. I saw a recommendation for White Sands - I live pretty close to it and while I think it's awesome (the DW and I are National Park/Monument/Battle Fields/Sites geeks) it can be hit or miss- although getting a snow saucer at the gift shop and "sledding" down the dunes is pretty cool, it's about all that is there. IMHO it's a must stop if driving by on I-10 - if not, may want to re-consider if making the detour to specifically see it unless you take the additional time to get onto White Sands Missile Range and go through the outdoor Air Defense and Missile museum. The Alamogordo area (where White Sands is near) use to be the Space/Missile capital of the US back before Florida's space coast took over back in the day.
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #39
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Yes, we'll be using an arsenal of weather apps, radars, alternative routes, and park phone numbers in order to make our trip efficient. I don't believe the North rim will be a go on this trip from what I've read. Just something that we'll put on our bucket list for the next trip. Much of the trip will be last minute planning. Thank God for the internet. I still don't know how people survived 25+ years ago when our current day online technical resources didn't exist. No live radar? No Google Maps? No realtime weather forecasts? Oh, the humanity!!
Way back, in 1993, my BIL was getting married in northern California on June 5th.

Having never been there or west of Taos NM, the DW and I thought a camping trip was in order to get to the wedding. I was able to call and make reservations at the NP camp grounds we were planning on staying in, we bought a conversion van and loaded the 2 room tent, a ton of stuff and the 2 kids (7 & 8 at the time) in it and hit the road. We had cassette tapes, paper maps and the kids Nintendo hooked up to the van's TV.

First night was in Santa Fe NM, froze our butts off, since we had not considered it might be cold along the way.

Next night was at some motel in Flagstaff and then on to the canyon in the morning, we went by the south rim first and then to the north rim campground , it was quite a drive and we went through some amazing scenery, we spent 4 nights camping and there was still snow on the ground. in spots

Next we went to Zion and camped right on the river, for 4 nights, with day trips to Bryce and other places of interest (there are many), went to Panguitch for lunch one day and the owner of the diner put on a gorilla suit and sat with the kids while his wife snapped a Polaroid of them.

Next was a night, at the Tropicana, in Vegas, with hot showers and real toilets.

On to Sequoia NP early the next day, it was pitch dark when we arrived (a normal occurrence it seems) and as we were driving up the switch-backs to get to the park my son and I were awestruck by the headlights hitting trees at the turns and the amount of tree we were seeing during the turn, trees there are wider than the trees here are tall. We spent 4 nights in Sequoia and 1/2 of the campground was closed due to snow.

Then on to Zamora, CA, for the wedding, with a stop in Yosemite for a few hours along the way.

After the wedding we spent 4 nights at a hotel in Tiburon CA and toured the Bay area.

Then a one night camp stop in Big Sur on our way to Long Beach for 4 nights where we did Disney Land and the LA sights.

After that a 26 hour straight shot home. We drove around 5200 miles, in 25ish days. We continued to take them camping, throughout the south west and eventually upgraded to a popup.

The kids, in their 30s, still talk about the "Big Trip" and love camping with their friends.

The memories you build with your kids, camping when they are young, will be theirs forever.

Enjoy the trip, take lots of pictures and report back when you return

-Brian
Old 02-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #40
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Way back, in 1993, my BIL was getting married in northern California on June 5th.

Having never been there or west of Taos NM, the DW and I thought a camping trip was in order to get to the wedding. I was able to call and make reservations at the NP camp grounds we were planning on staying in, we bought a conversion van and loaded the 2 room tent, a ton of stuff and the 2 kids (7 & 8 at the time) in it and hit the road. We had cassette tapes, paper maps and the kids Nintendo hooked up to the van's TV.

First night was in Santa Fe NM, froze our butts off, since we had not considered it might be cold along the way.

Next night was at some motel in Flagstaff and then on to the canyon in the morning, we went by the south rim first and then to the north rim campground , it was quite a drive and we went through some amazing scenery, we spent 4 nights camping and there was still snow on the ground. in spots

Next we went to Zion and camped right on the river, for 4 nights, with day trips to Bryce and other places of interest (there are many), went to Panguitch for lunch one day and the owner of the diner put on a gorilla suit and sat with the kids while his wife snapped a Polaroid of them.

Next was a night, at the Tropicana, in Vegas, with hot showers and real toilets.

On to Sequoia NP early the next day, it was pitch dark when we arrived (a normal occurrence it seems) and as we were driving up the switch-backs to get to the park my son and I were awestruck by the headlights hitting trees at the turns and the amount of tree we were seeing during the turn, trees there are wider than the trees here are tall. We spent 4 nights in Sequoia and 1/2 of the campground was closed due to snow.

Then on to Zamora, CA, for the wedding, with a stop in Yosemite for a few hours along the way.

After the wedding we spent 4 nights at a hotel in Tiburon CA and toured the Bay area.

Then a one night camp stop in Big Sur on our way to Long Beach for 4 nights where we did Disney Land and the LA sights.

After that a 26 hour straight shot home. We drove around 5200 miles, in 25ish days. We continued to take them camping, throughout the south west and eventually upgraded to a popup.

The kids, in their 30s, still talk about the "Big Trip" and love camping with their friends.

The memories you build with your kids, camping when they are young, will be theirs forever.

Enjoy the trip, take lots of pictures and report back when you return

-Brian
Sounds like one helluva trip Brian. I lived in California for about a year back in 2008. I did make it up to Sequoia NP twice with my wife (pre-children). We camped up on the mountain around 7000 feet. We still talk about our Sequoia trips as Michigan has nothing like it. The 2 hour commute up the mountain, the tight switchbacks (watching all those big RVs struggle was fun), and the those massive Sequoia trees. You can't appreciate them until you see them in person. Both trips, we camped next to fresh water steams on rustic sites with bear lockers. What an experience for a native midwestern city boy. What a blast.

Thanks for sharing your memories!