Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
Ayotte

bolts on pinbox?

Could anyone tell me what the torque is suppose to be on the bolds on the pinbox on a cougar 5th wheel? Thanks
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

You will have to determine what size and hardness bolts you have. Mine came with grade #5 5/8 bolts.

This table is offered as the suggested maximum torque values for threaded products and is only a guide.

Torque Values = FT - lbs

SAE Grade 5 120,000 psi Med. Carbon Heat T. Steel 9/16" =114 ---- 5/8" = 154

SAE Grade 8 150,000 psi Med Carbon Alloy Steel 9/16" = 169 ---- 5/8" = 230
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Houndie Dog

Just incase anyone is interested, I had 1 bolt fall out of my MOR-RYDE last week and I checked the torque on the rest and they were all less than 1/2 the specified torque of 85 ft. lbs.
Just a heads up....I never expected loose pinbox bolts but at least I noticed them before something bad happened. I took white paint and put stripes on the bolt heads so I can see if they loosen up now just by looking at them.....
Hensly TS3 trailer-saver hitch
KVH TracVision R4SL
3 Basset Hounds "Lucy, Ethel, & Fred"
https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...vado/coach.jpg
Houndie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

They may not loosen but they can stretch also. It's a good practice check all important torques periodically. (lug nuts, suspension bolts, pin box, etc.)
Even hitch mounts can loosen from stress after a time. I live near the ocean so mine rust in place ..... Rust: Mother Nature's Lock Tight.

Replacing with grade #8 bolts will stop from stretching but require higher torque. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Dawg

Just installed an Airborne pin box on my 08 Cougar. Airborne recommended 150 ft lbs on 5/8" Grade 8 bolts.
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
They may not loosen but they can stretch also. It's a good practice check all important torques periodically. (lug nuts, suspension bolts, pin box, etc.)
Even hitch mounts can loosen from stress after a time. I live near the ocean so mine rust in place ..... Rust: Mother Nature's Lock Tight.

Replacing with grade #8 bolts will stop from stretching but require higher torque. JM2¢, Hank
When checking bolt torque after the bolts have been torque. You should check the static torque which is different than the dynamic torque, that you use to tighten the hardware with.
The static torque is always lower in torque value than the dynamic torque. Each grade and size of bolt will have a different static toque value. These can be found in this PDF from Fastenal.
http://www.fastenal.com/content/docu...renceGuide.pdf
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote