Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
sawtellpeak

Any Raptor 297SE Input

I haven't seen a lot of input, feedback, or reviews on the Raptor 297SE. Anyone have one? They appear to have replaced the 299MP in 2011, so maybe it is too new for much feedback? I'd be interested in real world weights, quality, any problems, etc...

Also, I notice there are two different spec sheets with some pretty significant differences in carrying capacity and hitch weights. Does anyone have any input on this? Was it a misprint on Keystone's spec's, or did they make some on the fly changes to the first 2011 models?
sawtellpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Keystone's brochures and website where features and other info are listed doesn't always reflect what the end product will look like. Their explanation is that these brochures and online information are drawn up, printed and posted well in advance of what rolls out of their plant.
What you see and read isn't always what you get! I would think that the dealer should somehow know of any changes and pass that information to their customers. Doesn't always happen.
I would think that, while it may be more difficult to make changes in their brochures to reflect current specs, etc., it would seem quite a simple thing to at least keep their website stuff up-to-date. This is not only confusing but also misleading to the consumer.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:22 AM   #3
dave-g

While shopping for my cougar- I found most dealers had better pictures and dimensions than the manufactures brochure.

I think it is part of the plan so they can make changes during production.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
sawtellpeak

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking along the lines that the Keystone website may be more accurate than the brochure & spec's provided by the dealer on this one, as maybe the dealer info was the first copies, which were subsequently updated...? But I'll have to work with the vendor to verify, i guess. My concern with this rig is the actual hitch weight, which the dealer info has at 2130 while Keystone's website currently show's 2430, yet there are other Keystone spec links that reference the 2130 as well. I would think that maybe the 2130 is a typo, but the shipping weights and carry cap were a bit different as well (without looking like a typo). As my TV is a 2006 F250 PSD, the hitch weigh discrepancy obviously impacts whether this is a suitable option for me...
sawtellpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
packman21

Just bought a '14 297SE a few months ago.

So far we have taken it out around 5-6 times. There were some initial frustrations after our first trip. The generator was acting up. Would shut off and not start sporadically and then other times it would fire up fine. Got this checked out and it was a fuel pump. Brand new unit and the fuel pump already needed replaced after the first trip? Interesting.

I'm not really digging the display unit. It always shows I am 1/3 tank full in one of my gray tanks but I know they are totally empty. The dealer tells me this could be due to any condensation or if I have been driving the trailer around town then any sort of wetness the probes receive inside the tanks it will give you a read of 1/3 at least.

The bathroom door wouldn't shut after we were setup while camping. If we are hooked up to the truck then it would shut. I fixed this one myself by raising the door jam plate, dealer didn't even offer to do this. Again, Interesting.

The trailer did not come with sink covers. After telling the dealer, they ordered them for me and Keystone sent the wrong ones. I had to send a picture of my sink and the wrong covers I received to Keystone in order for them to confirm they were wrong and to make new ones. Still haven't received the new ones.

Oh, on the first night of camping it was a cold night and the heater turned on while we were sleeping. It smelled like burnt plastic and caused the smoke alarm to go off. Not fun. Woke us up and we were nervous to make sure the trailer wasn't on fire. Word of advice, run your heater for at least 30-45 minutes when you first get it, that way it burns off any glue or plastic smell and breaks it in first.

Also, the stickers on the outside of the trailer that shows what tank is which (Black or Gray or Gray) were put on backwards. I received the trailer and they were marked from front of the trailer to rear....Gray, Black, Gray. This is not correct. After calling Keystone they should be Black, Gray, Gray. I knew this was wrong after cleaning out the tanks after camping. Just glad it was a sticker issue. Again...Interesting this simple mistake can happen at the manufacturing plant. C'mon guys.

Everything else seems great. We love the trailer and it is like camping in heaven. We get compliments on it all the time and it's definitely a luxury home on wheels.

If there are any questions I can help answer for anyone just let me know.
packman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Knucklehead

Smile 2013 raptor 297se

the DW and i just traded for a297 in mid july of this year. When i went to fill the fuel tank it only held 20 gas was advertized as 30 gal. some could someone who has a 297 that does hold 30 gal measure the tank and post their findings here. thanks enjoy reading all of the info on here thanks people
1999 F350 7.3 MTans DRW 4Door 4X4 4:10 gears
2013 Raptor 297 SE
2005 Sprinter 276FWRLS
1990 Jayco 26 Special
1985 Jayco 1008 SG Popup
Knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
rnkburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtellpeak View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking along the lines that the Keystone website may be more accurate than the brochure & spec's provided by the dealer on this one, as maybe the dealer info was the first copies, which were subsequently updated...? But I'll have to work with the vendor to verify, i guess. My concern with this rig is the actual hitch weight, which the dealer info has at 2130 while Keystone's website currently show's 2430, yet there are other Keystone spec links that reference the 2130 as well. I would think that maybe the 2130 is a typo, but the shipping weights and carry cap were a bit different as well (without looking like a typo). As my TV is a 2006 F250 PSD, the hitch weigh discrepancy obviously impacts whether this is a suitable option for me...
I have the 300 mp and it has pretty heavy hitch weight. They say it balances when you load in garage. But I was going back and forth between the two models myself. My tow vehicle was a 3/4 ton as well. Does it pull it , yes , but bought a dually cause it handles it much better. Of course my 3/4 ton truck was an older truck as well so yours may do better . I had plenty of power, but you had to stay on your toes. I also have airbags on the small truck and that helps a lot

Somewhere on the keystone site it talks about hitch weight and toy haulers being heavy. What are you putting in the garage? And will it be there all the time?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
labs4life

Remember this hitch weight is a dry weight. It does not include propane, batteries or anything else that impact hitch weight. I would guess this trailer is going to be considerably over the payload mark for the 250. Those things are HEAVY!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote