Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
BobM

Cool 327RES Bike Rack

Have a new Cougar 2011 327RES and love it. However, there's one thing we can't figure out: regarding the rear slide-out "bike rack" on this model and likely other Keystone models....uh...well....how does one actually attach/secure a BIKE to this thing?!?!? All it is is a tray and an upright stick-with-loop!
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Handysam

Yeah, you and me both. There doesn't seem to be enough tie off points. I haven't given it too much thought yet, but the time is coming soon. I'll share what I learned, or failed to do.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

My Cougar has the same rack. I slid the top half of a 2' receiver rack over the upright post ..... drilled and bolted through it. I can carry the bikes as shown or slide the tray in and turn the rack around and use it the way it was designed to be used. I'll try to take photos and post tomorrow. I carry my spare in the bed of my truck ... I don't trust bumper mounts.

[IMG][/IMG]
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
BobM

Hank - more photos would be great if you have time. Not sure that I'm following what you've done. It also looks like you carry a sewer hose holder back there...that's a great idea.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 AM   #5
slewis95407

BobM
I modified my rack on my 326mks. See my profile.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/album.php?albumid=54

Scott

Fulltimer
2011 Cougar 326MKS
1997 F250 Reg. Cab. 7.3L
slewis95407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
66ken

I made a bracket out of some scrap I had laying around. Not real pretty but it works. I put a wood shim in the bracket where the upright tube fits to keep it from moving.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
Johnnyfry

Bike rack

We had the same problem. The bikes didn't have any support and I didn't trust the pull out rack. I bought a bolt on receiver and matching bike rack, BUT (and this is critical) I do not pull pull the rack out --ever.

I also keep the tire back there, but both of those items do not exceed the rated load of the pull out shelf which is stated at 200 lbs. Because the shelf is in the retracted position I do not feel that there is avo excessive lever action on the mount.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Hank - more photos would be great if you have time. Not sure that I'm following what you've done. It also looks like you carry a sewer hose holder back there...that's a great idea.
I slide the 2" stock over the upright that Keystone provides. As Ken stated about 1/8" wood shim is needed to take out wiggle.

I use the same pin to hold in place and allow to reverse rack.

With tray in I can carry bikes in normal way.

With tray out I put the top of the rack between the bikes and secure them. They move the least this way. (through trial and error)

I must admit ..... seeing slewis95407's mount I kinda' like that also.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
caberto

We use ours all the time with two bikes as is, with no issues.

I strap the bikes to the single bar with a tie-down strap (I wrapped a pipe insulator piece of foam around the bar to keep from scratching the bike's frame), then use a bungee on either end of the platform attached the wheels or frames to keep the bikes from moving off the platform sides, and one more to attach to the ladder. Never a problem, and they stay solid. If I used more tie-down straps instead of the bungees, it would be even better, but I haven't seen a need for it. The platform and platform frame have holes where the bungees hook on to.
caberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberto View Post
We use ours all the time with two bikes as is, with no issues.

I strap the bikes to the single bar with a tie-down strap (I wrapped a pipe insulator piece of foam around the bar to keep from scratching the bike's frame), then use a bungee on either end of the platform attached the wheels or frames to keep the bikes from moving off the platform sides, and one more to attach to the ladder. Never a problem, and they stay solid. If I used more tie-down straps instead of the bungees, it would be even better, but I haven't seen a need for it. The platform and platform frame have holes where the bungees hook on to.
I follow these same rules on mine. I even borrowed a front of truck bike mount and did not like it. So I used the slide out rack with lots of bungees. I have used the slideout rack on my Cougar TT for all things. I did add an extra grade 8 bolt and spacers through the L bracket on each side that holds it all up. I will work on this once I am out of warranty. Dont want to do anytihg to void any warranty.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
Barabas

I have been using a similar bike rack for a decade or more. It is simple to use, although the comment by one user that he wrapped foam around the post is dead on. Having done that, one bike is strapped to the post. Then all the rest of the bikes are strapped to that bike.

How? By going down to your local bike shop and buying those white plastic spacers. They are sort of dog bone shaped and have velcro straps on each end. They are also screw adjustable for length. Two per bike is suggested, but I use four. The front wheel needs two to keep from twisting around when traveling, and since the bikes are mounted in alternating fashion, the other front wheel requires two more. The dog bone spacers are a great idea, even if one is using other forms of bike racks, especially bike hangers.

Frankly, I love the setup.
Barabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
smabernethy

Tie downs and bungees

We use ratchet tie downs and bungees.... but definitely take spare off when using the bike tray....... too much weight bouncing around out there

2012 Keystone Cougar 327res 5th Wheel
2006 F-350 Dually
smabernethy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
327res, bike, bike rack, rack