Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
evanhix

Warranty repairs

I will be taking my Carbon 357 in for some warranty repairs before the warranty expires. I'm just looking for advice on what to expect when trying to get the issues repaired. Should I anticipate pushback from the dealer? I normally would fix many of the small issues myself but since it is under warranty, I want to have the dealer repair everything from loose screws, mislabeled tanks, to crooked door and loose door trim. Just wanting to know what to expect when I give the dealer the repair list? Will they try to get out of making some repairs?
evanhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Your experience will depend 100% on the dealer and how good they are/customer oriented. My dealer did their PDI before I inspected the trailer and fixed everything they found; I did my PDI and they fixed everything I found. For the 1st year they fixed virtually everything that I found/complained about, including repainting my front cap without me mentioning it. They were proactive and very willing to take care of me. That is not always the case so.....

Document your issues. Take pictures. Don't stop at a "service advisor" if someone says "no". On a new trailer they should take you back in and make it right....and as a priority.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

This probably isn't the information you want to hear, but from your description of work to be performed, some of it probably won't be covered under warranty. Things like loose screws, door adjustment, loose trim will probably be denied. Read your warranty carefully, especially the exclusions and limitations for adjustments. While you may be able to argue with your service writer and get it covered, if you aren't completely versed in what is and what isn't covered, you might find yourself facing a significant repair bill on items that they will point to the warranty as "exclusions, not covered after 90 days" and your signature on the bottom of the work order stating that you will pay for all "non-warranty repairs"..... Read carefully, don't learn a costly lesson the hard way......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
busterbrown

As most experienced RV owners know, warranty repair work does not influence profit margins for the dealer. With that said, expect long "dealer still has my trailer" times and work quality based on allotted service hours from the manufacturer. If a warranty repair is listed as 3.0 manhours but it would take 4 manhours to complete to satisfaction, guess how many manhours will be logged? And this would be coming from the selling dealer. Just think how the experience would be altered at a network dealer that didnt sell you the coach?

And it's going into high season now. Warranty work on "in service" coaches takes a back a back seat to repairs / fixes on pre-delivery units.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

This is when you'll find out what type of dealer you bought from. We routinely see customers that bought from a dealer an hour away that won't even do warranty work on units sold. The warranty claim process can be slow, so if you have anything on your list that will require parts, you might want to have the dealership do all the documentation, and take the trailer home to use while waiting.

When you show up, have your list written out, and then have the service advisor document each item on a repair order. Its not up to the dealer to decide what's covered so don't let them say "that won't be covered" and your going to have to pay. The flip side of that is, IF the factory declines an item, you may have to pay and then battle Keystone for reimbursement. As a tech, I can tell you how it's written can get some "on the fence" items paid. I hope your dealer takes care of you.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
BooHyde

I will second everything that chuckster57 just said.
BooHyde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repairs, warranty