Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2016, 04:11 AM   #1
ajohnston78

Winter camping in toy hauler

I will be staying in my Carbon 297 this winter as I'm working out of town. What have others done to there toy hauler to help stay warm ? I put the reflective insulation on windows have electric heaters in camper and gone enclose the bottom with foam boArd insulation. Any other tips ? Thought about doing something to the floor of the toy hauler part
ajohnston78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:36 AM   #2
byrdr1

Re: Winter camping in toy hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnston78 View Post
I will be staying in my Carbon 297 this winter as I'm working out of town. What have others done to there toy hauler to help stay warm ? I put the reflective insulation on windows have electric heaters in camper and gone enclose the bottom with foam boArd insulation. Any other tips ? Thought about doing something to the floor of the toy hauler part
Do you mean you are going to underpin the trailer with foam board insulation?
I guess my mind is just thinking out loud.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:36 AM   #3
ajohnston78

Yes that's what I will be doing
Old 11-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
BOWWOW

Maybe put down some carpet with padding and don't forget the ceiling vent pillows.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Run electric heat as much as possible. You will battle moisture all the time. Before you start the burner on the stove ensure you have your stove fan running. Try to limit making things that make steam. If you are cooking anything that creates steam during cooking back burner and stove fan on high. A small heater underneath the trailer, any tanks holding water need to be heated, water heater needs to stay lit all the time. Any water going into your waste tanks will freeze at the slide valve not allowing you to open them.

You didn't say how cold it got where you are staying so I am just assuming the worst. I did one winter in Alaska to 25 below zero. We did hay bales and then the foam insulation. The hay reduced the open space under the trailer and with a small heater running on low we never froze our tanks and floors were cold but not unreasonable.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
ajohnston78

Well I'll be in see Pennsylvania. So it will get somewhat cold. I'm gonna put foam boArd around it this weekend I have a couple electric heater and it's also heated underbelly with dual pane windows so I'll ok I believed either gonna put halogen light under the camper to help keep things from freezing
Old 11-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Anyone thinking about living in the RV for winter should check out the modification thread and read about what some have done. I had 2 rvs parked on property the longest was 8 years. After hearing I'm cold all the time during winter visits. I placed foam insulation around the bottom and enclosed them with metal panels (roofing) on it's side. I also added carpet on all the flooring. It did help.These are not like a stick built home and the inside of walls/windows seem to be cold always in cold temps.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:04 PM   #8
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnston78 View Post
Well I'll be in see Pennsylvania. So it will get somewhat cold. I'm gonna put foam boArd around it this weekend I have a couple electric heater and it's also heated underbelly with dual pane windows so I'll ok I believed either gonna put halogen light under the camper to help keep things from freezing
Well I hope the southern half of Pa....the biggest issue is beating the moisture inside and Pa can be rather humid. Good news is I don't think you will see 20 below for long if at all.

BTW former Scrantonian here. Now Alaskan transplant. When I go to Pa during winter the cold there goes right thru me. The humidity makes a world of difference. Alaska is very dry.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:30 AM   #9
ajohnston78

Yeah I'm from nw pa and I know it gets a lot colder where I'm from I think I have it all under control just looking for a few tips
Old 11-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #10
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy w/ Big Toys View Post
Well I hope the southern half of Pa....the biggest issue is beating the moisture inside and Pa can be rather humid. Good news is I don't think you will see 20 below for long if at all.

BTW former Scrantonian here. Now Alaskan transplant. When I go to Pa during winter the cold there goes right thru me. The humidity makes a world of difference. Alaska is very dry.
What part of AK do you live? Interior?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:18 PM   #11
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

No just 25 miles from Anchorage but I live on the Northside of a mountain shadow.

Tags
toy hauler, winter