Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
Goofy

2. A/C installed by the manufacture vs. installed by the dealership

Hi,
because of special options I ordered my new Travel Trailer from the manufacture.
After 11 weeks of waiting, wie saw few days ago our new XLite 26RBI at camping world.
Unfortunately the trailer was not delivered with the free standing dinette and the second A/C in the bedroom as we ordered it.
I didn't now who makes the mistake, our dealer told us that Keystone deliver all the trailer with the booth dinette and only with a A/C preparation and camping world install the A/C ant change the dinette in his workshop (which I can't believe).
But after 11 weeks of waiting you accept a lot of thinks.

The sales manager from camping world told me that they install the same A/C as Keystone would use.

My question is, if the 2. A/C is installed by the manufacture, would this unit usually controlled by the thermostat in the living room or on the unit itself at the ceiling?

greeting Thomas
Old 06-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
Pull Toy

Hi Thomas,

Don't apologize, your English as a second language, is excellent!

1. With dual air conditioning units, I would insist on "dual zone" a/c using one thermostat, and zone sensors. If this is not the case, I would pressure the dealer to install it. You did order it this way as factory option, it is a major difference /upgrade from just two a/c's operating independently. Be strong on this one!

2. If the free standing dinette is listed as a "factory" option, some one is pulling your leg. It doesn't seem realistic to me. in fact I think they probably just brought another "stock" unit in from another lot, and are trying to dump it !

If you haven't already, don't sign the check until the camper is everything you expected! Otherwise tell them to order it again, right this time, or show you the money for settling!

You didn't say what your primary language was, but if the are trying to fool you, because of a language barrier, there are several here who will stand up for you, just let us know!

Good Luck!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know about your model specifically, but I would guess the 2nd AC is wired and prepped for power only and not to the thermostat. We like ours that way so we can control the temp in the bedroom (we like to sleep cold) without cooling down the entire RV.

I'm sure CW can install the AC just fine; they do it all the time. I don't know about the dinette thing. Ours came with the free standing dinette (319rls) and no one mentioned, nor was there any evidence, that there was a regular dinette here prior.

Don't worry about the writing. You're doing an excellent job.

Edit: Pull Toy must have posted just before I did. His point on the zone sensors is a good one.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #4
dcg9381

Let me 2nd the above:
1) IF the camper is prewired (power and thermostat control) then adding a 2nd AC is a very minor deal.

2) If it is not pre-wired then this is a big deal.

3) If it is pre-wired by has a single unit thermostat, then they should replace both the AC and thermostat.

CW typically does not have the best-after sale reputation, I (personally) would not accept that thing until I had tested the operation of both AC units and the associated thermostat.

In terms of who got it wrong, the order form sent to Keystone would determine that.

Are these ducted or non-ducted AC units?
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
Hi Thomas,

Don't apologize, your English as a second language, is excellent!

1. With dual air conditioning units, I would insist on "dual zone" a/c using one thermostat, and zone sensors. If this is not the case, I would pressure the dealer to install it. You did order it this way as factory option, it is a major difference /upgrade from just two a/c's operating independently. Be strong on this one!

2. If the free standing dinette is listed as a "factory" option, some one is pulling your leg. It doesn't seem realistic to me. in fact I think they probably just brought another "stock" unit in from another lot, and are trying to dump it !

If you haven't already, don't sign the check until the camper is everything you expected! Otherwise tell them to order it again, right this time, or show you the money for settling!

You didn't say what your primary language was, but if the are trying to fool you, because of a language barrier, there are several here who will stand up for you, just let us know!

Good Luck!
I told them view days ago that I didn't pay until the trailer have the options which I ordered. Unfortunately I payed a deposit of 5k at the day when I ordered it.
If I didn't payed the deposit I would canceled the order after the 6 to 8 weeks what hey told me that the manufacturer needs to delver the trailer.

What I learned is: "never pay a dime in front."

This is the reason why I have to know (maybe from somebody who revived a trailer with a factory installed 2. A/C) wheater the bedroom is also controlled by the central thermostat.
I didn't believe it but maybe it's normal that you have to control the 2. A/C by the unit itself?
Old 06-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

What I know from the technician side:

Not all second A/C units added after delivery require dual zone thermostat, and if the wiring isn't there it isn't an easy option. I have installed numerous second ducted A/C units in the bedroom, controlled from a separate wall thermostat. It depends on how the factory ran the wiring during the build.

We use the same brand and cover color as the main, and if the factory verifies wiring for a wall thermostat, we install that one in the bedroom. As a rule all the dual zone thermostats I have seen installed, already have the second A/C unit and a remote temp sensor installed. Adding the wiring and remote sensor requires removing a lot of interior wall and ceiling panels....not easy.

I have personally changed dinette configurations on a few occasions, it can be simple or complex, but any competent tech can do it. As stated, just ask to see the order form sent to Keystone to see who got it wrong.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
...Are these ducted or non-ducted AC units?
The primary A/C is ducted and the 2. A/C in the bedroom is non-ducted (also if you ordered it factory installed).

The trailer have a plastic cover and a sticker on the celling that ist prepared for a 2. A/C but I didn't now if there only a power cable inside or also a line to the thermostat.
I didn't saw a 2. zone or separate buttons for different temperatures on the thermostat in the living area.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #8
Goofy

Generally I didn't have a problem with a 2. A/C which I have to controlled by the unit on the celling because I'm a tall guy.
It's all about "you get what you pay for", but I ordered 50 amp service with a factory installed 2. A/C, I payed for this options and if the factory installed 2. A/C comes with a remote, a dual zone thermostat or a 2, thermostat in the bedroom I like to have this or CW have to reduce the price.

On the end they still like to have 28k from us, but on the other side after 11 weeks we like to get our trailer. to travel around
Old 06-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

If there is a sticker on the ceiling by the vent that says pre wired for A/C then installing the unit is easy.

Unless the build sheet specifies non ducted for bedroom A/C, you can't tell without removing the garnish ring from the vent, and looking for taped off vent ducting. If the ducting isn't there then you have to use a non ducted unit, and to my knowledge all non ducted are controlled at the unit not by a wall thermostat.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #10
Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If there is a sticker on the ceiling by the vent that says pre wired for A/C then installing the unit is easy.

Unless the build sheet specifies non ducted for bedroom A/C, you can't tell without removing the garnish ring from the vent, and looking for taped off vent ducting. If the ducting isn't there then you have to use a non ducted unit, and to my knowledge all non ducted are controlled at the unit not by a wall thermostat.
Only the 1. AC is ducted, the 2. AC is a non-ducted A/C and is installed in the "roof window" (I don't find the right word for this).
On the celling there is a "pre wired for a 2. A/C" sticker.

I attached the option sheet from Keystone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cougar XLite 26 RBI.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	10590  
Old 06-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Okay, then the bedroom A/C will most likely be controlled at the A/C panel and not by any thermostat.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #12
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
If I didn't payed the deposit I would canceled the order after the 6 to 8 weeks what hey told me that the manufacturer needs to delver the trailer.

What I learned is: "never pay a dime in front."
You'll never be able to order a unit without a deposit. You're doing the right thing - you don't ACCEPT the unit until they've got it right.

As indicated above, if this unit is prepped for AC, then it's no big deal.
I'm used to models where both AC units are ducted, but as indicate other models are not ducted and may not be thermostat controlled. You'll need to confirm if the 2nd AC models are/are not ducted/thermostat controlled. You just want to match that factory setup.

Literally putting in an AC unit with power and (sometimes) thermostat wires at the opening is pretty trivial. Hardest part is getting the unit up there.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Literally putting in an AC unit with power and (sometimes) thermostat wires at the opening is pretty trivial. Hardest part is getting the unit up there.
Actually lifting the unit onto the roof is a snap, any RV dealership will have a forklift to move units around. Running 110VAC to the opening when it isn't there isn't that trivial if your trying to keep it "factory", and if your trying to control separate units from one thermostat, running that wiring and keeping it concealed (like factory) can prove daunting at best.

Since the OP posted a copy of the build sheet, we know its wired for a non ducted unit. As I've stated before, I am not aware of any non ducted units that operate from a wall thermostat.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:30 AM   #14
Goofy

OK, then I think it would be OK if the 2. AC comes without a remote or a external thermostat on the wall.

The next think which I think about is:
I ordered the Trailer with a upgraded 15.000 BTU AC in the main room instead the standard 13.500 BTU unit.
Because with the order apparently something has going wrong, I fear that also this option was forgotten.

Is there any chance to find out how much BTU the main AC have without climbing on the roof?
Old 06-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

looking at the build sheet you posted, it looks to me like it is a 15K unit. If you can get the paperwork issued by the A/C maker, it will have model and serial number on the warranty card. With that it's easy to say if it is for sure, otherwise a trip on the roof may be needed. I can't remember if the information is on the inside in the intake.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:13 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

The thumbnail attached by the OP is an option sheet for the various trailer models. It doesn't really address what the OP ordered. Do you have the order for your trailer that specifies exactly what was ordered on your specific trailer? The list provided shows that the options you requested are indeed and option but don't reflect at all what it is that you are getting. It does however state that it appears your 2nd AC will be non ducted and will have roof controls I'm rather sure.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #17
dcg9381

It'd also address if it was a CW or Keystone "whoops"....
Old 06-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #18
Goofy

On the day when I ordered the trailer the sales person marked the option which i like to have on the option sheet with a text marker and attached it on the contract which we both signed .
On the contract himself you can find only final price with the notice on the button: "*attached the option form".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	option form.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	10598  
Old 06-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #19
Goofy

Because it's my first trailer which I bought in the US I didn't now how it works to make a "special order".
I now, normally the american people pick a car or a trailer which the dealer have in stock.
But we "germans" like to have a car or a trailer with the options which we need, so usually we make special orders for this kind of toys.

I know that cars have a window sticker where yo can finde all the options which the car comes from the manufacture.

Does it works on the same way with Trailers? Did they come with a kind of window sticker or an option sheet as well?
Old 06-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
On the day when I ordered the trailer the sales person marked the option which i like to have on the option sheet with a text marker and attached it on the contract which we both signed .
On the contract himself you can find only final price with the notice on the button: "*attached the option form".

If the items highlighted were what was ordered for your trailer then it should be that way from the factory as far as I know.

If the dealer has the trailer ask him for a copy of the build sheet that came with the trailer. It will look sort of like the option sheet you attached but it won't have the other models, it should have the VIN of the trailer and then all the options as it came from the factory. It SHOULD have a list just like you submitted on the option list. If not, as someone said, they may have just picked up a model similar to what you ordered and are going to try to turn it into what you wanted. In that case, I think I would be asking a lot of questions and be very reluctant for them to modify a trailer to make it what you ordered; especially removing a dinette and substituting a free standing dinette. Make them give you the build sheet from the trailer they are trying to sell you.