Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2015, 05:13 AM   #1
sptddog

Fried water heater element

Two quick questions. ...I'm out camping and no where near home. Can I change it myself? Is there electrical elements that shouldn't be for a beginner? And, we have Atwood heaters. ..are all elements the same? I don't have my manual for the water heater so I don't know brand or model. .

Thanks!
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:26 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

With the right tools, yes you can. Elements are rated by watts so you want the same wattage.

DISCONNECT from shore power, then take the plastic cover off in the lower left corner on the outside. You will see two wires, remove them. You will need a 1 1/8" socket (that's the most difficult part) to remove/install. No thread sealant required as it has a thick O ring.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:21 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

You can get the right element at any RV, hardware, plumbing supply or home store. They will also have the correct size wrench needed. Just be sure to match the element to the one you have ....... should be 1450 or 1500 watt 110 - 120v ac. Be sure to unplug shore power and release water pressure before servicing and then filling WH tank before restoring power. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
sptddog

Thanks for the help, got the part but then the water seemed to get hot, only if both the inside switch and outside switches are on. We'll see what happens. New problem came up today. . New post on that.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

The outside switch allows the element to receive voltage. The inside switch is what "energizes" the element. FWIW I only have the outside switch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
sptddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The outside switch allows the element to receive voltage. The inside switch is what "energizes" the element. FWIW I only have the outside switch.
So if the inside switch is off, it heats only on propane? Because thats what i always thought....so i never use the inside switch.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

If your inside panel has two switches for the HWH, then yes one is for the propane and the other is for the electrical element. And if your plugged into shore power you can use both at the same time.

I use both as it allows for faster recovery.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
roadglide

I put a nice ball valve on my new 311 impact , that drained the water . I plugged into shore power now there is no hot water because the Ele was on. The gas won't work did I fry something beside the element? Checking the fuses and reseting did not help.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

There are two "high temp limit" switches in the gas/electric water heater. One is 120 volts and limits the electric heating element. The other is 12 volts and limits the gas heating system. BOTH of them are probably activated in your situation. You'll find two black rubber discs with the word "RESET" imprinted on them. Press both of those, they won't reset until the internal temperature of the switch is below 110F. Then leave the electric switch "OFF" (or you can also turn off the W/H circuit breaker on the power distribution panel.

Once you do that, if you have a charged battery or are on shore power, when you turn on the gas switch on your control panel, after the propane lines are purged of air, your propane side should ignite and provide hot water. If it doesn't function, then you'll need to troubleshoot the system by ensuring you have a "spark" at the ignition points. If you don't, you may also have a problem with the control board in the water heater. Sometimes overheating the system without water will do more than simply destroy the electrical element.

There are troubleshooting guidelines in the owner's manual. Remember that there is a 2 year warranty on Suburban water heaters, so don't feel that your failure to protect the electric element is the reason for all your water heater problems. The rest is still covered under warranty even if the electric element issue is "on your dime."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
roadglide

Thank you where boondocking at the lake not far from home. I'll try that prosedure again this time with the gas switch off.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
sptddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are two "high temp limit" switches in the gas/electric water heater. One is 120 volts and limits the electric heating element. The other is 12 volts and limits the gas heating system. BOTH of them are probably activated in your situation. You'll find two black rubber discs with the word "RESET" imprinted on them. Press both of those, they won't reset until the internal temperature of the switch is below 110F. Then leave the electric switch "OFF" (or you can also turn off the W/H circuit breaker on the power distribution panel.

Once you do that, if you have a charged battery or are on shore power, when you turn on the gas switch on your control panel, after the propane lines are purged of air, your propane side should ignite and provide hot water. If it doesn't function, then you'll need to troubleshoot the system by ensuring you have a "spark" at the ignition points. If you don't, you may also have a problem with the control board in the water heater. Sometimes overheating the system without water will do more than simply destroy the electrical element.

There are troubleshooting guidelines in the owner's manual. Remember that there is a 2 year warranty on Suburban water heaters, so don't feel that your failure to protect the electric element is the reason for all your water heater problems. The rest is still covered under warranty even if the electric element issue is "on your dime."
This is good info to have. I will say, that in my case, I hit that reset a bazillion times...it apparently takes a LONG time for the temps to come down, and/or purge the air. Mine did finally ignite, but only the next day.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #12
roadglide

After numerious attempts in sequence mentioned it's working on gas . I got a 1440 watt 140 degree element in town I'm not sure how good is but it will proubley work. Now I hope the wind stops so I can get out on the lake and catch some fish .
Old 05-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #13
roadglide

Like I said the water heater was drained and ran shore power the gas did finely go on . I got my Impact home and thought I would give the water heater a try before changing the element , Its working fine and im guessing the 2 breakers tripped when the element started to over heat.