Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
jje1960

Convenience mod

We have always been a bit frustrated by not being able to stop and fire-up our dome and 32" TV for a few hours without starting a generator, however frustrated no more. We purchased an inexpensive inverter (400W), had plugged it into the Wingard 12V plug and attempted to plug our 32" TV and Directv receiver, which caused the inverter to scream and shutdown. We needed to change the 5Ver battery so went to a Group 27 marine deep cycle, however same result. After checking the voltage drop while the TV was starting, it was obvious the voltage drop was the issue. This has been posted many times, should have listened sooner... The 12V wiring is just not enough to the plug, voltage was dumping to 10V. Today, moved the inverter to the battery compartment (about 18" from battery), reconnected directly to the terminals off the battery. Went down to Home Depot and purchased an inexpensive (however quality) extension cord.... After drilling a few holes and securing the cord with plastic retainers.... Ended up with the end of the cord inside the TV cabinet... It's been out there going for the last couple of hours very happily, running on the battery. Problem solved, can now just stop, watch Satellite TV and have a fan on if necessary without starting the generator in the Truck.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
cdawrld

Nice idea. The mods we do that make the trip a little more convenient are the best ones
cdawrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
dave-g

good idea, I too like to stop for lunch when traveling and watch the news or weather-
I have put the generator in the bed of the pick up and run a #10 extension cord to the camper- lets me run tv and micro. but it adds time to the stop.

I have wanted to add a inverter now you got me thinking.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
jje1960

Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
good idea, I too like to stop for lunch when traveling and watch the news or weather-
I have put the generator in the bed of the pick up and run a #10 extension cord to the camper- lets me run tv and micro. but it adds time to the stop.

I have wanted to add a inverter now you got me thinking.
I notice you have same unit, on the 325 SRX, here is what I did:

Wide velcro patched the inverter on the large flat battery box. 8ga wire from inverter terminals to ground bolt and positive to first + post mounted behind the battery. Used existing holes from the compartment to the propane compartment, secured cord with plastic clips. Drilled hole through to the main storage compartment, clipped along the top of compartment drilled into the aluminum frame, over hot water heater and to the rear wall. Drilling through this wall lands you inside the entertainment system cabinet. From there either leave the rest of the extension cord or install a standard 120V plug. Done.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote