Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
lizzie

Difference in interior workmanship front and back?

Last month we purchased a 2013 Keystone Bullet 248RKS. It is the latest in a long line of RV's for us and was not an impulse buy. I spent hours in it over three days before making a decision. I noted from the beginning the difference in the workmanship in the living area of the TT (rear kitchen, dinette, sofa, cabinets, etc.) and the bed area. The cabinets around the bed are poorly installed with brad nails clearly visible. There is even a gap in the back of one where the alum frame can be seen. The clothes rods in both wardrobes were installed at an angle and one was so near the top it could not be used. Despite all this, we liked the unit and the price was right. I would never have bought it new though. Did it just slip through quality control or is this common in Keystone products? lizzie
lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

lizzie, Is it possible that the trailer was damaged in delivery to the dealer or by previous owner and not repaired correctly .... maybe a leak??? Being a '13 it might explain the trade in the first year. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
mom2budnbug

My guess is that is slipped through the cracks. We have a 2014 Bullet 230BH and workmanship is consistent. The only issue we had was some of the "wallpaper" wasn't secured at a seam in the bedroom area. Rubbing it down took care of that.
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
GaryWT

Could be either of the above, slipped through or was damaged and repaired poorly. Our Premier Bullet is the same throughout, maybe even nicer in the bedroom. Hope all works out, if under warranty, see if something can be done.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
lizzie

There is no damage. We checked that out very carefully. It is just sloppy workmanship. I can lie on the bed and look up and see every nail used to attach the bottom of the cabinet to the top. Inside the cabinets, the pieces are poorly fitted and don't quite meet. Since the rest of the unit is very nicely finished I can only assume this slipped by somehow. It was not a deal breaker and so far we are happy with it. We bought it while on the road so used it for three weeks right away. A good way to test it out. I have a question about a mod but will make that another post. lizzie
lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
GaryWT

A lot of times something looks different standing looking at it vs. laying down and looking up at it. I remember when I had a Canterbury, the bottom up the cabinets over the bed were unfinished but you could only see it while in bed. As for the hanging rods, we never hang anything while camping so it would not be a big deal to us.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
cabinfever

The new guy on the assembly line was working that part of the TT? Or maybe that was finished before the last shift of the week.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
jljfstar

We have a 2014 Premier 30REPR and trust me its the Keystone workmanship. We bought it new and its been one thing after another. The latest thing is the front cap. It has bubbles in it and keystone says its damage. Buyer of a Keystone Fiberglass beware. More on this in another thread when we find out more of what Keystone will or won't do. Also other things that have happened is the fender skirts all broke and had to be replaced. Both Propane hoses leaked and had to be replaced. Cabinets fit not good at all. Lemon, I think I got the Lemon. Wished we would have looked around more.
jljfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
Bob Landry

Keystone's claim to fame as well as the other manufacturers in that area is the use of skilled Amish labor. This conjures up visions of an elderly gentleman in his shop building a piece of furniture with hand tools by the light of a kerosine lantern. The reality is that these people work on a production line to supplement their incomes. They do it the way they are told and at a prescribed speed and everything is done to a strict production schedule with a requirement of X number of units a day out the door. I would submit that when a buyer happens to get a 'Lemon", that trailer is the result of playing catchup on a lagging production line and when they go home to work their fields or whatever they do, everything stays at the plant and remains so until the next shift. The scrutiny of the bean counters and the production supervisors trump personal pride in their work and that's just simply how it has to be to survive in any production business. We don't like it, but it is what it is.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

X2 what Bob said.

The company either makes a profit or closes the doors. It's no secret that the RV manufacturing business turns over "brand names" on a regular business. In fact, Thor (Keystone's parent company) just bought Monaco RV Industries, the maker of multiple brands including Monaco motorhomes and Holiday Rambler. In a recent article, the president of Thor indicated that the Monaco brand names were available for the various Thor production companies to "adopt" if they choose to.

Who'd have ever "thunk" that Airstream, Holiday Rambler and Cougar would have been "brothers" under the same parent company.

It's all about profit. If quality just happens to "get on the bus for a ride", so much the better, but the first one off the bus will likely be quality, not profit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #11
Bob Landry

Company mergers and acquisitions are not always, actually usually not, good for the consumer. Such acquisitions are usually fueled by unstable economic conditions or quality issues and are seldom beneficial for the consumer. One is also usually a step above the other in some form or fashion, and a merger can go one of two ways. Either the better company will elevate the lessor one to a higher level or it will go the other way. An example was the ATT&T/Cingular wireless merger. I had Cingular service for a long time with no issues, and had tried ATT&T a couple of times with terrible results. When Cingular was taken over by ATT&T, my cell service went from very good to not being able to talk on my phone while sitting at my desk unless I was facing a certain direction.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljfstar View Post
The latest thing is the front cap. It has bubbles in it and keystone says its damage. Buyer of a Keystone Fiberglass beware. More on this in another thread when we find out more of what Keystone will or won't do.
You seem to be adding this comment in every thread you comment in.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
jljfstar

If you had to pay 4K for a front cap that you had nothing to do with damage of any kind and the company does not stand behind its product it makes for a very unhappy camper and people should be aware of this when they are looking at a fiberglass camper. I hope everyone checks out any company's warranty not just keystone's before purchasing. Our Premier is only 10 months old and has been camping a total of 4 times. Enough said.
jljfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #14
GaryWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamperMN View Post
You seem to be adding this comment in every thread you comment in.
Agreed and with no details, no explanation. Is your dealer not fighting for you. As I asked earlier, what does your insurance company say. Let's move on.