Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2014, 06:19 AM   #1
PaulDeb2

Bike Bunk - Stromburg Carlson

Has anyone ever used the Stromburg Carlson Bike Bunk? How many bikes? We are looking for an option for carrying our 5 bikes. Any suggestions?
2011 Bullet 294BHS
2013 Suburban 4WD 1500 LTZ
PaulDeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
kent

I haven't used that one but noticed it says limit of 100 pounds. If you factor in the 5 bike rack itself weighing 25 lbs, that leaves around 75lbs for 5 bikes which is 15 lbs each. Unless you have carbon fiber bikes you will easily exceed that weight. I have an Allen 5 bike rack that got bent and I can't get replaced because I exceeded the weight. I didn't realize its weight limit until later. You may want to get the bike bunk for 2 or 3 bikes and then put a front receiver hitch on your tow vehicle on for the other ones. What ever you do, don't use a bumper hitch on your trailer for a bike rack, trust me on that one.

2013 Bullet 298 BHS
2012 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 2500 6.7 Cummins
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
BirchyBoy

The weight is definitely an issue. They do have another model, the CC-250, that is intended for generator storage, etc, and can hold 300lbs. I'm thinking of trying this and fitting my two Yakima upright bike carriers to it. Here's the link:

http://amzn.com/B00CH2PRE8
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
PaulDeb2

Cool

We bought it and only put 2 Bikes on our Yakima bike rack (that can hold 4). We just put the others in the trailer. Problem is, my husband has to climb on the trailer tongue and truck bumper, doing a balancing act, to load and unload the bikes.
2011 Bullet 294BHS
2013 Suburban 4WD 1500 LTZ
PaulDeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:55 AM   #5
Wantoride

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
I haven't used that one but noticed it says limit of 100 pounds. If you factor in the 5 bike rack itself weighing 25 lbs, that leaves around 75lbs for 5 bikes which is 15 lbs each. Unless you have carbon fiber bikes you will easily exceed that weight. I have an Allen 5 bike rack that got bent and I can't get replaced because I exceeded the weight. I didn't realize its weight limit until later. You may want to get the bike bunk for 2 or 3 bikes and then put a front receiver hitch on your tow vehicle on for the other ones. What ever you do, don't use a bumper hitch on your trailer for a bike rack, trust me on that one.
Why not use a bumper hitch on the trailer bumper? I was planning on putting one on for 2 bikes.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
ctpd814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantoride View Post
Why not use a bumper hitch on the trailer bumper? I was planning on putting one on for 2 bikes.
The bumper is made of thin metal. It is not made to handle the added weight and pressure of the bikes and rack while bouncing down the road. Many people that have done this arrived at their destination and found their bikes and bumper missing.

If you want to add a hitch to the back, it needs to be attached to the frame not just the bumper.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote