Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Tonto256

Does Onan 5500 Gen send 12V power back to it's starting battery?

I know that the battery charger from the coach will charge connected batteries, but does the gen itself also send 12v back to the same battery that started it? I have done some research and gotten mixed answers. I called the service department at the dealer I bought it from and he says it does not get a charge from the gen itself, only draws to start gen.
The reason for the question is because I had another post on here about wiring two batteries in parallel, which I have done. I am now wondering if when the gen is running, are both batteries being charged by the coach charger and the gen charger if in fact the gen sends a charge back to the battery that started. I don't think it is an ideal situation to have two separate chargers charging the same battery. Sorry if i'm making this confusing.
Tonto256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I don't know the answer to your question....

But my hunch is that the generator itself does not have a charging circuit, since the generator is designed for use in an RV - which has a converter/charger that is active any time it is exposed to 120v power (regardless of the source of 120v: generator, or shore power)

If the onan does in fact have a charging circuit (for use in some other installation type), it would make sense to me that in an RV, it would be disabled or not utilized.

A quick look at an Onan service manual would likely tell you if there was one present at all.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #3
abneynormal

nope.

your power converter charges them. make sure you don't have the battery disconnect on when using your rv
Old 12-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Tonto256

I appreciate the responses. Makes sense.
Thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
maxx1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by abneynormal View Post
your power converter charges them. make sure you don't have the battery disconnect on when using your rv
Y can't u have battery disconnect on ??
maxx1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #6
mike508

12 volts from generator

I have a fuzion 404 toy hauler. I had the transfer switch go bad, nothing out of the transfer switch. I can start the generator but when the battery goes dead, the generator dies. My take on this is the generator does not supply its own 12 volts but rather the long way around through the transfer switch to the converter and back to the battery, IMHO.
US Disaster Response
mike508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:08 AM   #7
rnkburg

I have to run a battery charger on mine to keep going. A 10 amp does just fine. Gen puts out a little but not enough to keep it going. Dealer even said you have to wire gen battery to coach battery to get it to charge. I never have just in case coach goes dead and then I can't start gen to charge up.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
jumpy

gen

The generator does not charge the battery I have run a wire off the oil press switch to a relay that runs power from the coach batteries to the generator batteries. that way when the generator is running and charging the coach batteries the solenoid is energized and charges the gen. battery. Just what i did to solve my problem. I have a 377se raptor with that gen.
jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
abneynormal

according to my workshop manual

if your onan is a HGJAD model it can have an optional charger installed from a lead on the 120 volt generator. mine is a HGJAB so no dice. however if I go to a 3 12 volt system I will install an automatic battery charger to keep the starting battery charged. which is similar to the wiring diagram of the HGJAD model.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
SrbjmwRaptor

I have a2013 raptor 297 se and had problem where generator goes dead due to running battery dead I put jumper cables from one battery to the next . But after shutting it off at night both batteries were dead in the a.m That makes no sence why would onan not relises this is a issue? so guess I will use 10 amp charge recomemded here .another ? Does the 5500 onan Cummings have a oil filter and what kind of oil do u use"
2012 Polaris sportsman 2 up
2014 polaris rzr 570
2012 Polaris outlaw 50
Club car golf cart
SrbjmwRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Yes it has an oil filter. Check your owners manual or google for a manual using the model number. Should also find oils viscosity. I ~believe~ it should be 15/40.... But don't trust my memory. Get it from the manual.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto256 View Post
I know that the battery charger from the coach will charge connected batteries, but does the gen itself also send 12v back to the same battery that started it? I have done some research and gotten mixed answers. I called the service department at the dealer I bought it from and he says it does not get a charge from the gen itself, only draws to start gen.
The reason for the question is because I had another post on here about wiring two batteries in parallel, which I have done. I am now wondering if when the gen is running, are both batteries being charged by the coach charger and the gen charger if in fact the gen sends a charge back to the battery that started. I don't think it is an ideal situation to have two separate chargers charging the same battery. Sorry if i'm making this confusing.
ONAN 5500 model HGJAB

Oil Filter # Onan -- #122-0836
Air Filter # Onan -- #140-3116

Their is a similar thread out there, do a search for others comments.

If I recall the 12V charging is an option, not used on RV.

Going to read your question to make sure I understand what you are asking. My guess is being a 297se you either have one or two coach batteries supplying the coach and the generator, ie in parallel and charged by your converter. The other person had a three battery system again two in parallel as stated above and a third battery dedicated to the generator (not connected to the other two and not charged by the converter). He uses a separate battery charger to keep that one charged. Their is another thread out there that installs a battery isolator that enables the dedicated third battery to be charged from the converter.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike508 View Post
I have a fuzion 404 toy hauler. I had the transfer switch go bad, nothing out of the transfer switch. I can start the generator but when the battery goes dead, the generator dies. My take on this is the generator does not supply its own 12 volts but rather the long way around through the transfer switch to the converter and back to the battery, IMHO.
CORRECT (Right On)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #14
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by abneynormal View Post
Oh my favorite Switch "Battery Disconnect"

Never got a straight answer what this actually shuts off

In "ON" position (Horizontal) NORMAL Connects Batteries to coach Circuits

In "OFF" position (Vertical) Disconnects Battery from some Coach Circuits

So:
Battery Disconnect Switch in ON POSITION --- BATTERIES ARE CONNECTED

Battery Disconnect Switch in OFF POSITION --- BATTERIES ARE DISCONNECTED

So I think what I am saying is generator will start regardless position of switch, however if you want Batteries to be charged using the converter Disconnect Switch must be in ON Position.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-31-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Tonto256

A few things are wired directly to your battery or batteries, such as the landing gear and in most cases the generator starter. These items are always "hot" no matter what position the battery disconnect switch is in. The battery disconnect switch will connect your batteries to the rest of the coach when turned to the "on" position.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #16
Keshka

after reading here about how "crappy" the WFCO is I decided to do some testing. First off, I have a big *** battery it's a CAT 8D series 210 amp hour, 132 lbs battery. Since I am new to this Fuzion I decided to add an amp/watt hour meter to the system that reads both charge and draw. The watt meter is installed on the negative lead and captures everything that goes in or out of the battery.

Lights and radio runs about 4.5 amps draw. I have left it there on a full charge for about 3 hours. I then started the HGJAB gen set and was surprised to see over 50 amps charge current being feed to the battery.

Is the WFCO doing that much or is genset adding to that with and onboard 12v alternator. Above posts say nay to an onboard alternator and I can find nothing in my genset docs to say one way or another.

Trying to decide if I need to "upgrade" the WFCO to something like the PowerMax PM3-100 or if the Cummins is helping,

Keshka
Keshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

The thread you posted to is almost 7 1/2 years old so don't be holding your breath for a reply............
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:10 AM   #18
notanlines

Your Cummins 5500 does not have a 12 volt charger, much less a '50 amp charger.' It provides only 120 volts to your WFCO inverter and a source for the remainder of all your 120 volt outlets and appliances such as your converter, which in turn charges your battery/batteries.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote