Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
mdb25

Battery Disconnect Switch and Generator

I am going to install a battery disconnect switch for when the trailer is sitting for longer periods of time and was wondering if I should also have the generator line also connected to it? I dont image it having anytype of draw on it but you never know.
mdb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Htfiremedic

My Fuzion came with a generator. The generator will run with the disconnect off.
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
mdb25

Switch

I am not talking about the RV disconnect switch, I am adding one to the battery since the RV disconnect switch doesn't truly disconnect everything. If you just use the one in the RV, the battery will still go dead in a couple of days.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
EricLynnAllison

I just went to three batteries this year. I installed a disconnect switch right off two of the batteries to the camper. The third battery is connected to the other two with a switch that automatically opens if either side gets below 12 volts. The third battery goes to my generator. So far, all has been great. I keep checking my batteries while in storage and I'm still at 12.4 on all after 3 weeks.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
mdb25

Wiring pics

I would be interested on how you wired that, any pictures?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
flyinguy68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb25 View Post
I am not talking about the RV disconnect switch, I am adding one to the battery since the RV disconnect switch doesn't truly disconnect everything. If you just use the one in the RV, the battery will still go dead in a couple of days.
I'm just curious, because I always use the RV disconnect switch when rig is not in use. When I use it the LP detector and built in radio both shut off. What are you saying that it doesn't disconnect?

'11 GMC 3500 Diesel Dually
'13 Keystone Fuzion 360
Toys to be hauled:
'08 Can-Am Outlander 650 Max XT
'04 Honda 450 ES Foreman
'03 BMW K1200LT
flyinguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
mdb25

From what I understand there are multiple things that still draw from the batter including the hydraulic system which runs wirelessly. These things will kill my battery within a few days.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
mdb25

To explain this a little more, the hydraulic system runs wirelessly, the key fob does have a battery in it however they receiver which is attached to the camper battery does not disconnect if you hit the disconnect switch meaning it is always "live" looking for a signal from the controller / key fob which causes the battery to drain even if I hit the disconnect switch within the camper. This is why I am installing a true battery disconnect switch between the battery and the 12 volt cable. What I am not sure is if the generator cables need connected to this switch also.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Jim Dow

Battery Disconnect - For Sure

I have two 12v batteries in my Montana High Country (2011). I installed a lockable battery switch that allows me to operate/charge the batteries either indepently or together.

Also, I added a Battery Tender for charging the batteries using another power source. I plan on adding a secodnd Battery Tender this weekend to be able to charge both batteries simultaneously when off shore power.

Both batteries are fused using post fuses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Switch.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	3106  
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #10
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Try a marine store and get a multibank battery charger.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
KenBob

Our 360 has separate battery connections for house and generator. The generator connection is for the starter and should not cause a draw on the battery if connected to the house battery. A cut off switch on the house only battery cable (+ or -) should cut off all power to the RV. There would have to be failures in the converter, switch box, and the generator electronics to cause a draw from the generator battery connections if the wiring is correct.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 AM   #12
Retired CSIGuy

Cable

Save your money and just discon the ground cable from your batt.
Yamaha RSV-S
Retired CSIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
mdb25

Thanks KenBob, that is what I figured.