Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
SmittysRV

Rear bunk problem, Pls read and beware!!

Well we had a major problem with the rear bunks in our Raptor 4014. We had returned home from a trip and I removed several items from the garage area and everything was fine. A few days later I opened the rear garage door to remove and clean all the toys and noticed the bunks were down. The lower bunk was completely destroyed and was smashing our Polaris RZR XP 900 and both kids’ bikes. I attempted to raise the bunks with the switch and got a clicking noise. The bunks appeared to be smashing the toys down and not just sitting on them. The chains were intact and very tight. As I was prying the lower bunk in order to remove it the motor engaged in the downward motion as I released some tension. The motor was apparently stuck in the downward position and continued to smash the toys. I immediately ran around the side and removed the battery cut off switch and the motor stopped. After a few hours of struggling with the removal of the lower bunk the toys were eventually removed. The top bunk did not hit anything as it stopped in its normal down position which is about 4 feet off the ground.

A call was made to Keystone to say the least. We are not happy campers with Keystone at this point…..
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
crash

Sorry to hear that,atleast noone got hurt.Keep us informed on what keystone is doing to help you out and if there is any problems with the bunks or motor, cause we have a Raptor 384pk.Thanks
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
randy69

It sure sounds like your bunk switch has shorted in the down position.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
SmittysRV

Here are a few pictures

Old 05-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
SmittysRV

We asked for a new lower bunk in the prosses. I really dont understand why Keystone ever put the U couch in there for units with the rear patio. There is no way to get to the patio when its down. The picnic bench style lower bunk makes so much more sense. Either way Keystone denied my request to change out the lower bunk,,, WEAK!!! Stand by for the bill to fix the toys
Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Sorry to hear that,atleast noone got hurt.Keep us informed on what keystone is doing to help you out and if there is any problems with the bunks or motor, cause we have a Raptor 384pk.Thanks
We are very fortunate that no one was hurt because of this switch malfunction. Imagine if it were to stick in the upward position while the kids are sleeping....... R U kidding me!!!! Something needs to be addresses here
Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
CUFFS054

WOW, that's a little scary. Motor could have over-heated and done some more damage.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUFFS054 View Post
WOW, that's a little scary. Motor could have over-heated and done some more damage.
Exactly!!! And Keystone is not sympathetic at all to any of this. Dang, I thought I found a good manufacture when I fount this Raptor........

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
H10F250

Sorry to hear about the problem and I hope it gets worked out. On the part about the u shaped couch. Could you turn the couch around so it opened up to the ramp?
2006 F150 Supercrew 4X4 leveled (wife's)
Honda Rubicon and Rancher
H10F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
BRAPOM

wow so sorry to see this happe. Thanks for the warning as I will now be drilling and pinning the assembly up when the bikes are inside. Best of luck in getting it fixed
BRAPOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
Adventurider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAPOM View Post
wow so sorry to see this happe. Thanks for the warning as I will now be drilling and pinning the assembly up when the bikes are inside. Best of luck in getting it fixed
As well as drilling and pinning them the bottom one to stay down "Just in case"
Adventurider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
isosceles

I shuttered thinking of this as my kids sleep back there as well.

Has anyone tried if the main 12V switch cuts the power to the bunks? At least hitting that when not using the trailer would have saved the damage the original poster experienced.

I am most def going to be drilling holes to keep the bunks down position, thank you for sharing your experience and drawing out attention to the matter!!
isosceles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
abneynormal

i modified mine

I haven't had problems with the bunk operating by itself. I removed the upper bunk, got rid of the table after it fell out on my dads trike. also as a full timer it is my bed. the lift has 2 switches a upper and a lower that stop the lift at its upper and lower most position. in removing the upper bunk I also gained 6" of height in the garage/ bedroom. I would check the switch for shoddy wiring also at the top or the motor unit in the ceiling there should be a box with what I think is relays it could be faulty. also I would have expected a fuse to have blown. but it sounds like it didn't. make sure it wasn't replaced with a bigger fuse.
abneynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by H10F250 View Post
Sorry to hear about the problem and I hope it gets worked out. On the part about the u shaped couch. Could you turn the couch around so it opened up to the ramp?
Thats a great idea!!!! Im gonna look into that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurider View Post
As well as drilling and pinning them the bottom one to stay down "Just in case"
Yes, Im going to do the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abneynormal View Post
I haven't had problems with the bunk operating by itself. I removed the upper bunk, got rid of the table after it fell out on my dads trike. also as a full timer it is my bed. the lift has 2 switches a upper and a lower that stop the lift at its upper and lower most position. in removing the upper bunk I also gained 6" of height in the garage/ bedroom. I would check the switch for shoddy wiring also at the top or the motor unit in the ceiling there should be a box with what I think is relays it could be faulty. also I would have expected a fuse to have blown. but it sounds like it didn't. make sure it wasn't replaced with a bigger fuse.
The trailer is still at the dealer ship. All swithches and relays are being replaced. Looks like the tensioners are messed up also. I asked about having a master switch installed to cut power to the bunks when desired. Like when the kids are sleeping on them or when hauling the toys in there under the raised bunks. I was told that the motor reqires 12v power in order to stay in place (act as a brake). I guess the best wat to prevent this from happening is adding more pin holes to either pin each bunk down and adding pins to hold the lower bunk up. I did suggest this be added by the dealership and or Keystone and was told this will void the warranty with Happijack... Im making some calls to Happijack now regarding this.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
Loriv247

Ouch!! I'm so sorry! So basically the 4 pins they give us to lock the beds in place are pretty useless? Yikes that makes me nervous.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriv247 View Post
Ouch!! I'm so sorry! So basically the 4 pins they give us to lock the beds in place are pretty useless? Yikes that makes me nervous.
The pins or there in order to keep the top bunk up if you just wanna use the lower bunk/couch. I am looking into adding new pin holes in the rails so that both bunks can be pinned in the up position.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #17
PerryB

Smitty, I may be all wrong here, but I'm pretty familiar with DC electric motors, and that part about needing a constant power source to brake the motor sounds like horse muffins to me. I think your dealer is trying to get out from under doing a mod that he fears he may be liable for in the future. I wish they would just come out and say "We can't/won't do it" rather than invent new engineering theorem. If it were mine, I'd be putting a master switch on that circuit immediately.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #18
joeyb

Make the call

Sounds like its time to get "LEGAL"

2015 Sprinter 269FWRLS FW
2015 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Platinum

Past:
2009 F250 Lariat Crew 6.4 TD 4x4
2013 Keystone Outback 292BH TT
2008 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite 26BHS TT
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
2005 Coleman Bayside Pop-Up
1995 Coleman Mini-Pop
Tent, Window unit & two 5' pieces of flex duct mounted on a 5 gal bucket.
joeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #19
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
Smitty, I may be all wrong here, but I'm pretty familiar with DC electric motors, and that part about needing a constant power source to brake the motor sounds like horse muffins to me. I think your dealer is trying to get out from under doing a mod that he fears he may be liable for in the future. I wish they would just come out and say "We can't/won't do it" rather than invent new engineering theorem. If it were mine, I'd be putting a master switch on that circuit immediately.
I’m with ya on this... They are telling me that the bunks will have a tendency to slower lower down if you cut the power to them. The constant 12v power is what holds the bunks in a break like state. Who really knows unless I test it? It’s hard to believe what they tell me. I did pick up the Raptor the other day and the bunks seem to be working properly for now. They are now level and when you get to the down position it stops and doesn’t keep trying to push down as it used to do in both the up position and the down. We have a trip planned for the end of the month and shall see how good they perform…..
Old 08-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
jesse.m.jm

I hate to bring logic in to fight their argument, but if the motor needed constant 12v power to keep the bunks in position, then wouldn't everyone come back to bunks in the lowered position when they put the trailer in storage and disconnect the batteries?

I don't actually own one of these units, so I may not have a clue what I am talking about, but it does seem like that argument doesn't really hold up.

-Jesse
jesse.m.jm is offline   Reply With Quote