Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
LouSlugger

water heater questions

Just dewinterized my 07 Fuzion 362 and for first time since buying unit tried to operate water heater. Hooked up city water, turned on both the electric and gas heat buttons, and waited. And waited. Water temp did not seem to change at all out of the faucet. There is a plastic "knob" at water heater that allows you to alter the mix of hot and cold water, but I can't figure out how you adjust it. I could not turn it in either direction with a pair of pliers. I thought maybe turning it to maximum temp setting might help.
Waiting for a return call from local dealer but would appreciate any suggestions or insights you may have. Thanks!
LouSlugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Shoey

That plastic knob is the hot water by pass. The valve should be closed or perpedicular to the line in and out. If the valve is open, all the cold water will by pass the heater. If running on gas, you should be able to see the blue flame from the outside by opening the cover to the heater. If running on electric, make sure the breaker is on and some units also have an off/on switch on the outside under the heater cover. Make sure there is water in the heater before turning on the electric.
Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I am not aware of any "knob" on a HW heater that will adjust the mix of hot and cold water coming out of the tank. On the back side (interior side) of my HW heater there is a HW tank bypass valve/knob which is used to isolate fresh, cold water from entering the tank. When winterizing, this valve should be in the closed position; which on my unit, is at right angles to the CW line entering the tank. When dewinterizing, the valve is turned parallel with the line allowing water to enter the tank.
It is easily turned by hand and shouldn't require the use of pliers to rotate it. It will only rotate 90 degrees.
Your tank bypass system may be different. If you have a user's manual, refer to it for instructions.
When using 110v, there is a small, black rocker switch located on the bottom left-hand corner of the exterior access to the tank. This switch has to be turned on if using 110v but as was pointed out above, ensure that you have water in your tank before heating it up either by gas or electricity! The switch has a safety pin which is used to lock the switch in position. Not all HW tanks have this rocker switch on the outside panel.
Yours may have a switch located on the interior side of the tank for 110v.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
rusty rider

HOT water tank gas shut off where??

I have the electric switch in the lower left corner for the heater, but find NO way to turn off gas and use 110 shore power only when available
Any sugestions on where it might be ???

04 Keystone Tail Gator 35fter
05 GMC 2500 D Max wilh Slider
00 Mountain Air 39fter Ranch house
07 Keystone Cougar 28fter w/ Slide
07 ST 1300 Honda the tour bike
09 Kawa Versys 650 street bike
2012 Polaris RXR XP Moded out
rusty rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Bob Landry

Look at the switch panel mounted on the wall. My Outback has a switch for electric and also one for gas.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty rider View Post
I have the electric switch in the lower left corner for the heater, but find NO way to turn off gas and use 110 shore power only when available
Any sugestions on where it might be ???
I'm not sure, but it's possible some water heaters are made for propane only. Get the model number and check the WH manual. If you don't have a manual, you should be able to DL one from the manufacturers website.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

rusty rider -

We have very similar Cougars and in ours, there is only 1 interior, wall-mounted control for the HW heater and that is for propane. This switch is a red, rocker type and when turned ON, it glows red.

I have to go outside and press the small, black rocker switch to turn the electrical side of the HW heater on or off. There is no interior switch for electricity on the HW tank.

If I want to use only 110V AC to heat the tank, I leave the inside propane switch OFF and the outside AC switch ON. If you want faster HW, you can leave both in the ON position and the tank will operate on both electricity and propane.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
rusty rider

hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
rusty rider -

We have very similar Cougars and in ours, there is only 1 interior, wall-mounted control for the HW heater and that is for propane. This switch is a red, rocker type and when turned ON, it glows red.

I have to go outside and press the small, black rocker switch to turn the electrical side of the HW heater on or off. There is no interior switch for electricity on the HW tank.

If I want to use only 110V AC to heat the tank, I leave the inside propane switch OFF and the outside AC switch ON. If you want faster HW, you can leave both in the ON position and the tank will operate on both electricity and propane.
Man you hit the nail on the head!!!
That is exactly what mine is and I did wonder if that was the way it worked.
I'll be checking it out next time out..
thanks everyone for all the info, sure helps out alot...

04 Keystone Tail Gator 35fter
05 GMC 2500 D Max wilh Slider
00 Mountain Air 39fter Ranch house
07 Keystone Cougar 28fter w/ Slide
07 ST 1300 Honda the tour bike
09 Kawa Versys 650 street bike
2012 Polaris RXR XP Moded out
rusty rider is offline   Reply With Quote