Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
twvette

Fitting a Maverick X3 RS ... my Fuzion 420 experience

Thought I would share my experience fitting an X3 RS (the long travel version) in my Fuzion 420 as it was a bit of a stressful situation. A lot of this was self induced as was in a rush before dune season started, had not taken delivery of my X3, and was not sure exactly what width/length I would end up at as the tires/wheels I wanted had just come out and also not delivered. Here is how it ended up ...

Mine is really a perfect fit with the 12ft garage.The very large paddle tires I went with and equal offset wide wheels on it make it even larger than the already overgrown X3 RS model. I calculated it would barely fit width wise.

For width, the RS ended up about 81 inches at widest in the rear. I did have to remove the three season patio doors (easy task) to get it to fit which was anticipated. This actually gained me more width than I had calculated as part of the hinge framing slides into the framing attached to the Fuzion so more width gained when sliding them out than just taking them off the hinges so to speak. Not 100% necessary, but also removed the patio railings as makes it much easier. If do this remove the rail latches also attached to gate as they will puncture tires. This makes more sense for me too as have a side patio so would rarely use a rear patio. Its very easy to load/unload now and no need to winch in. No problem opening X3 doors really and I can still walk around the edges of the X3 once inside with a little sliding around things. I will probably remove the rest of the door framing so can sell and I think gain a few more inches width at the entry point.

For length, it was closer than I was anticipating. I was so focused on width. Rear tire center point is just barely over the hump of the dovetail but a little nerve racking getting them just above as very close to the glass door in front. I now think that door is actually plexiglass but need to double check and regardless would be easy to hit the wall as just a few inches left in the front. I like having the dovetail open also so can store a few larger items like extra smaller generator, firewood bins, etc. I am just use to having more room so likely wont be a concern for those who are more use to packing things in tight. A 14ft garage would be ideal for me as would then be very easy and able to walk around the entire X3.

Strapping the X3 down is also a bit of a pain as its such a tight fit. Fuzion did a great job with so many points but many covered by wheels. No points are in front of front wheels and ones in back on dove tail are obstructed by the tires mostly so basically need to lie down and get under the X3 to strap to a-arms, etc. I invested in the Mac's tie downs with fixed ends and padded arm straps, both of which are very nice but still a bit of a pain from what I am use too (FYI, the MACs latch mechanism is too big for the fixed latch point rings Fuzion uses so will need a J hook to add to them). The best option might be some form of wheel straps but I am not too familiar with these and yet to research them further for best type for this rig.

If fit, so its all good! Hopefully this helps someone as I certainly was a bit stressed.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
xcntrk

Re: Fitting a Maverick X3 RS ... my Fuzion 420 experience

Great write up. Would love to see some pics of this setup.

With regards to strapping down, I have a similar problem with my SxS which takes up every bit of my garage length like yours and reaching the factory Fuzion tie-down anchor point is challenging. My front tires are basically in-line horizontally to the tie down point. So it's impossible to strap (horizontally) to the front end tie down points on my RZR. So what I do instead is use axle straps to loop the tree kickers on the side of my car, then tie back to the front anchors. So I'm really strapping the front of the car down by tying in right behind the front wheel on each corner. The rear isn't as bad I can reach the rear tie-down points on the car directly from the anchors. Also, I couldn't fit my MAC straps 2" twisted hook into the mouth of the factory Fuzion tie down which is too small, so I swapped them out for a double finger J hook which does the job. I ordered all the double J's from AW Direct.

PS: I would love to install some E-track and use wheel straps all around, but I'm really not interested in tracking down how to mount it with those x2 30-gallon fuel tanks under the garage area.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
twvette

Re: Fitting a Maverick X3 RS ... my Fuzion 420 experience

Thanks! I get lots of good info from forums so try and provide some myself ...

I am using the rear most anchor point in the center just in front of the dovetail storage to run two straps to the front a-arms. these are the most annoying and not ideal but with welded in anchors I don't have any worries. Have to crawl under the X3 to ratchet so a bit annoying. I then use the two anchors in the center on each side to to go to the rear trailing arms.

Forgot to take a pic of the X3 loaded up so hopefully will remember next trip.

Yeah a rail system would be nice but I also have struggled each time I think of doing these with the hassles to mount them well on just about anything if not factory.

I figured others had to be struggling with the Mac's. I sent in a Support request and didn't get any good feedback as it seems to be the one thing they don't have but also didn't press them much. I stumbled on the same double J hook you mentioned. I then found customtiedowns.com to be a good resource for this type of stuff and perhaps a good alternative to Macs on a budget as can get similar from them but still not some of the "bells and whistles" Macs has. I will just add a double J hook to the end of Macs twisted latch as really like that for my utility trailer D rings so hopefully good solution for both.

Everyone should look into replacing the fabric end of their current 1.5in or 2in ratchets with fixed J hook or similar like you have a link to as really does make it easier in almost all stuff I strap down and a cheap mod. I ordered some for my cheapo ratchet set too.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #4
Desert185

I have a Pawltector parking brake for my RZR that locks the brake pedal down for braking on all four wheels. This keeps movement to a minimum in the trailer where you only need one, fore and aft tiedown. It also protects the Polaris transmission parking pawl (which is a joke design).

I don't know what the Can Am parking brake situation is, but something to consider...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
twvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvette View Post
. I will just add a double J hook to the end of Macs twisted latch as really like that for my utility trailer D rings so hopefully good solution for both.

Everyone should look into replacing the fabric end of their current 1.5in or 2in ratchets with fixed J hook or similar like you have a link to as really does make it easier in almost all stuff I strap down and a cheap mod. I ordered some for my cheapo ratchet set too.
Well, the double J hooks I ordered from Custom Tie Downs still did not fit. Also a single J I ordered for my cheapo ratchet also did not fit. I will probably just do a single S hook from a more standard tie down to clip on my Mac's too. Or if anyone can identify this one that is being used in there video for the 5k Interlock system that would be perfect for me:
Old 01-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
twvette

Here are the pics:

If you look closely at rear door area will see I still have the three season door frame installed as well as the patio attachement bar. I have since removed these which does give a few more inches clearance at rear door but not really an issue so main point was so I could sell those kits to someone who could use them.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:04 AM   #7
xcntrk

Your pics aren't showing up for me.

The J finger hook I from AW direct that I posted in the link above fit the Fuzion floor anchors. It is a tight fit, you have to put the hooks in at an angle then turn them to grab the center bar, but they fit!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:09 AM   #8
twvette

Fixed the pics.

I wish I could go with the J hook you posted but I want to keep my clip in ends to use on my flatbed D-rings so just looking to attach to another hook just like they did in the Fusion 5k Interlock pic above.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #9
xcntrk

I see the pics now, that X3 is a beast!

Do they make a rear tie-down point or adapter that you can install on the X3? Looks like if you had a rear tie down behind the rear axle, that you could pull across to the floor anchor behind each tire?

That's is what I did with my RZR (front anchor):

Old 01-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
twvette

There are a few vendors now who have radius rod plate with hooks for the rear. I am kinda hooked on the more proper way of staping down to a-arms or with proper wheel nets so that suspension can do its normal thing. A-arm strapping just takes a while. Wheel nets will work for me in rear but front will need something more custom as wheels sit on my forward most point but will likely have MAC's do something custom for me.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
twvette

These S-hooks from US Cargo control are what I settled on to connect to the welded floor mount points. They just barely fit under the bar to latch on but like that they clip in. I then just clip my Macs to the round end.

Heavy Duty Black Vinyl Coated S-Hook w/ Keeper - 1"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #12
twvette

I no longer recommend the above hooks as have found better options... see this post:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...t=29810&page=2

Tags
fuzion