Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
msp2jxr

Broken fridge shelf and closet latch

Took our Cougar MKS326 camping this weekend and put about 230 miles round trip. One highway was rather rough. When we got all set up and went to get the wine out of the fridge the bottom shelf crashed to the floor when we opened the door. Needless to say when I loaded the fridge I put two bottles of wine in the shelf and I don't think it will take the weight and abuse of a rough road and heavy wine bottles. We ordered a new shelf through Camping World to the tune of $ 42.00 dollars for a piece of molded plastic. I glued the old one back together so we could still use it to get us home. I was still missing a few of the vital shelving chunks needed for repair. Long story short... anyone know of a better place to get replacement parts for a fridge? I have a feeling I may be ordering another shelf in the future.
I also broke the latch on the mirrored sliding closet door. Does anyone have a better latch then the OEM latch? I see by other posts the OEM latches consistently break. I really don't want to waste my money on a latch that will just break again, again, and again.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Handysam

Broke another closet latch this weekend. That's the fourth one since we got ours new last October. The first one that broke was on our PDI. the dealer was kind enough to give us a few of them, knowing its a problem and bad design. I will be going back to the dealer to get another handful of the latches to hold us over until I come up with something else. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 09-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Not sure what type latch is used on your doors, but ours are the "cheap" plastic double circle with the "C" spring that clamps around it when you close the door. I had a couple break, so went to HD (Lowe's will work) and bought the "upgrade" spring loaded latches with the "pointed center clip". They are what was in our old house and they seemed to never fail. So far, they've held up to a year's use. Might work for you as well.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:44 AM   #4
slewis95407

msp2jxr

I haven't broken one yet but on our last fifth wheel at the center of the closet where the two glass doors crossed there was a hole drilled through the frame of both doors an inch above the floor. A pin fit into the holes and locked the doors in place.

Scott

Fulltimer
2011 Cougar 326MKS
1997 F250 Reg. Cab. 7.3L
slewis95407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Hunter757

When we bought our 5er there was one broken the dealer replaced it. We got it home and the next day our 22 month old closed the door hard and broke one.
Ordered a new set from CW did some research online and found if you relocate them outwards away from the door so you are not pulling hard on the plastic to open or push hard to get the doors to close this helps alot. Its about 1/8" or so just slide the lock on your door and close it and see where it lines up to you old screw holes and make a mark, predrill a hole and install. The latch will cover your old holes.

Also there is one door that will hit the plastic latch when you open the door all the way put a stop in the track of this door on the floor so the door stops just prior to hitting your plastic latch and it won't break again. It's been just over a month and none have broke

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
msp2jxr

Thanks for the help... My new fridge shelf arrived today and it looks like and exact replacement. We have a Lowe's not far from us so I think I will look for a closet latch that was mentioned in the post. I will also drill a hole in the track and add a pin to keep the other doors from striking the latch. Good suggestions... I knew I could count on you for good advice and not have to reinvent the wheel... Jay and Lori
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote