Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Jens Weber

Question No sound from outside speakers

I don't haveany sound in the outside speakers, no matter which speaker selection I make on the Jensen stereo that's installed in my trailer. Maybe there is a missing connection somewhere. I can't figure out how to get the stereo out so I can access the backside and the connections. Any sugestions
2022 Passport 189 RB
2014 Ford F150 XLT
Jens Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
dcg9381

I'd make sure the balance and fade are both neutral. On ours, there is a switch (at the control panel) for outdoor speakers on/off, but our model is different.

To access the connections, assuming you cant get under or over the unit: There should be two "keys" that probably (hopefully) came with a bag of RV stuff. They're flat, and sort look like a screwdriver. If you can't find yours, you can by a set.

You remove the cover that is typically "around" the outside of the unit, the keys slide in the side between the radio and it's cage. This triggers a release and the unit gets pulled forward...

Probably lots of Youtube videos on how to do this for a Jensen.

Note, usually there has to be access to that area to install the thing that the stereo fits into or put the "cage" (which actually holds the stereo in) into...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
Jens Weber

No tools of the kind you describe. I will try to look on YouTube. Thanks.
2022 Passport 189 RB
2014 Ford F150 XLT
Old 08-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
dcg9381

There is a link in my post to the type of tools, just in case I'm not describing them well. The alternate method involves fishing with two thin knives - there's a video of it , but it's a lot easier to do it with the factory "keys".

On ebay you can buy a set of "keys" that do different types of units. Also, any stereo installation place will be able to pull it in a matter of seconds.

What you're actually releasing is shown here:

There might be another way to get it out, but I'd need a photo of it from the front..
Old 08-10-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
Jens Weber

Thank you for the info. After having looked behind things, I believe that I can get to the back of the stereo by removing a couple of big drawers. I'll try tomorrow. Thanks to all for your suggestions and support.
2022 Passport 189 RB
2014 Ford F150 XLT
Old 08-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Old Mustanger

How long have you left the set on with the outside speakers picked? This may sound weird but I have to turn mine on and wait at least 1/2 hour before I hear anything at all out of the outside speakers, then after a while the come up to full volume. I haven't been able to figure this out either.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #7
trueweb

My Raptor has switches underneath in the storage area to control the sub and speakers. You might look around near the amplifier (if you have one) to see if there are any switches.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
shiggs68

If it is the Jensen with DVD, there is a black frame around it that snaps off. That will expose the screws.

TravelingRVDoctor -Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
Jens Weber

I got the unit out, all wires for speakers A and B are there in the right places. Speakers C have the wires cut at the connection to the stereo,and no loose wires with the color combination that is stated in the manual. So i guess it has to go on the warranty for repair. I just hate the time it takes for Keystone to approve warranty repairs, and the speed they work at Las Vegas Camping World is horrible too. Of the 4 month I have owned the TT, it has spent more than half the time at Camping World, just waiting. The actual repairs (fridge, toilet, floring, faulty vent from the hood, missing handle on grey water tank valve and some minor issues) was done in a couple of days when the people at Camping World finally got around to work on the TT.
2022 Passport 189 RB
2014 Ford F150 XLT
Old 08-15-2015, 05:45 AM   #10
dcg9381

Well, that's stinky, but in the grand scheme of RV defects, it's not a bad one.

I'm with you on warranty repairs. My dealer has yet to do anything for warranty as typical turn around time if you make an appointment is 4-5 weeks. That's 4-5 weeks of having the unit outside and baking in the sun.

The good thing about my dealer is that if I send them photos, they work with Keystone to get the repair approved before I drop it off. Maybe Camping world could do that?

This issue, we're talking about connecting wires to the stereo. And I think there are other posts on the issue - if you do it the way Keystone does it, you really don't have any volume control outside to inside. Correcting this is on my to-do list anyway... I'd prefer to wire it so it can "fade" to outside and the speaker volume living room to garage can't be adjusted.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #11
RSD559

I had the opposite problem. The fader worked. It shut up the outside speakers. On a personal note, I really hate being next to someone, whether it be an RV or a boat, that shares their music. Couple of weeks ago, it was Gene Autry on one side and new bubblegum stuff on the other side. I'd much rather hear the birds and little creatures and the wind in the trees.
RSD559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
Jens Weber

I have decided not to do anything about it because, like you, I like to have silence outside and be able to hear nature's sounds.
2022 Passport 189 RB
2014 Ford F150 XLT