Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
JRTJH
Site Team

Landing Gear: Shear pins or bolts???

OOPS

This morning when leaving the campground, I got "slightly distracted" (won't divulge how) and ran my landing gear up to the stop. When we got home, the left gear went down, the right gear just "hung there" I couldn't unhitch like that so I got into the front compartment and saw that the "bolt/shear pin" on the drive bar at the top of the right jack was sheared and the drive bar just spun on the jack. I lined up the jacks and replaced the sheared pin with a 3/16" bolt to get unhooked. The jacks worked like they are supposed to. I'm sure there's no damage, from what I can see, it all looks fine. My question is:

Does the front jack system use shear pins or are they just bolts? I'd hate to leave that bolt in place and strip gears if I get "distracted" again, and at my age, that's likely to happen. If they are shear pins, any particular type or just common hardware store shear pins?

Thanks for any information, I couldn't find anything on the Lippert site, might have missed it though.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:07 AM   #2
Jim W

HI,
I believe they are grade 5 bolts. These can be purchased at your local hardware store. I have never needed to replace them on my Cougar, but I did replace them on my 06 Ameri-Camp.
One of the nuts had loosen and the bolt was bent so the landing gear would not function correctly.
I also believe that the landing gear and hardware for the landing gear is not manufactured by Lippert Components. At least on both of my fivers this has been the case.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Jim,

Thanks for the response.

On mine, I think most of everything in the front compartment was made in China <sigh> So I really REALLY question the quality LOL Of course now-a-days, it seems like you can't buy much that isn't made there.....

I tried again this morning to find the remnants of the pin that sheared, but I haven't found it anywhere in the compartment. I think I'm just going to leave that bolt that I put in where it is for now, if it causes any problems, I've got several spares in my toolbox that I don't leave home without LOL

After all, it is a Keystone..... <G>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote