Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
WeekendWarrior

27RLSWE Galley Tank Vent

Hello again all!

We have made numerous trips (upwards of 25) with our 2013 Keystone Cougar 27RLSWE. One thing has plagued us from the beginning: a stench underneath the kitchen sink. Reading through this forum and others, it appears that it could be a clogged vent in the galley tank. The smell is non-existent when we are using the trailer, but when we dump the galley tank and store it, it is quite potent.

On the roof of the trailer, there are 2 vent caps in the middle of the trailer (I'm assuming for the black and grey tank). However, there is not a third near the rear of the trailer where the galley tank is. Did they forget to install mine?

We are leaving in a few hours for a camp out, so I'll fill up the galley tank as much as I can and run some elemonate through it.

The galley and grey tanks seem to drain very slowly, btw. The black tank has no issue draining, and the grey and galley will drain to a 1/3rd but it seems to take FOREVER for it to drain from a 1/3 to Empty. Anyone else experience this?
WeekendWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Most galley vents do not go through the roof. Instead, there is a "cheater vent" located underneath the kitchen sink. It looks like a short, black ABS pipe that has a screw fitting on top and is spring loaded.

Sometimes the spring gets stuck or the diaphragm inside doesn't work and won't let the gases and odours escape.

Check this cheater vent out - it may be the source of your smelly problem and could also be the cause of the slow drainage.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
WeekendWarrior

Well if it smells under the sink when dumping, maybe it is working? I'll take a look and report my findings.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
Well if it smells under the sink when dumping, maybe it is working? I'll take a look and report my findings.
If it smells when dumping (really if it smells at all) it isn't working. The purpose of the cheater vent is to allow air INTO the tank as water is being discharged, so it will only suck air from under the sink, not blow air into that space. If it's not sealing properly, it will allow stale air to escape into the cabinet space.

Replacements are available at Lowe's, HD or most hardware stores.

Here's what they look like:
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
WeekendWarrior

Ok, this is what I have: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/checkvent.html

There's no spring, and it appears it is constantly open a bit... That explains the smell...
Old 05-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

That's the same as the one I pictured, except a different color. That's your culprit. The rubber diaphragm is dried out and won't properly seal. Unscrew the old one, take it to Lowe's and get a replacement. You'll be "set to smell good air" once you're finished.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote