Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
ocho

Reverse polarity and Generator issues

Im trying to get set up for a weekend of dry camping in Luckenbach this weekend. There is a vintage motorcycle rally and show. Anyhoo, I had posted a few weeks back that the house battery is not charging. It was suggested to check the reverse polarity fuse on the transformer. Heres what I have found so far. I can not find any fuse marked reverse polarity anywhere. I pulled the circuit breaker panel out, nothing, and its not on the circuit panel where the normal 12 volt fuses are. I located the power transfer box and its not there either. I did find two 12 volt fuses located where the house battery is. Theres a 15 amp and 30 amp fuse. Could this be the reverse polarity fuse?

The other issue is the generator. I attempted to start it tonight to exersize it. It normally never gives me any problems and has about 360 hours on the clock. I couldn't get it started. I did smell fuel however. When I opened the generator door it was wet with fuel. I pulled the air filter off and it was wet with fuel. I did notice one of the 30 amp breakers was in the off position. I reset the breaker and tried to start it. Not happenin. It cranked fine but was still spewing fuel from the carb intake.

Onan 5500
2012 Raptor 300mp

HELP!!!! I want to get to Luckenbach tomorrow with Willie and Waylon and the boys and my 46 Ariel!!!!
ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
bobbecky

In your power panel, which is also where the converter is located, you will find a row of 120 volt breakers along with the main breaker. You will also find a row of automotive type fuses which protect the various 12 volt circuits. Isolated from the long row of fuses, there will be either two, three, or four larger amperage fuses all together. These are the fuses that protect your system from accidentally reversing the hot wire and ground on the 12 volt system. They should be 25 amp or 30 amp fuses. All this is assuming you have a Progressive Dynamics power control center.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:24 AM   #3
ocho

I dont have any fuses that large in the power distribution panel. As mentioned before there is a 30 amp fuse near the battery.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:43 AM   #4
ocho

Any ideas as to why the gen has fuel spewing from the intake?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:21 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

float stuck in the carburator!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:22 AM   #6
jtyphoid

The power converter is not always in the power distribution panel. Mine is a stand-alone converter mounted behind a wall in the basement of our 5th wheel. The reverse polarity fuses are on the converter.

Regarding your generator, if you have a carbureted unit, it might be a stuck open needle valve in the float bowl.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:27 AM   #7
jsmith948

If the carb. has become gummed up with varnish, or, if there is sediment in the fuel, the float could be sticking which will allow the float bowl to overfill. This is a dangerous condition. Your generator could easily catch fire. Also, the raw fuel could be ingested, forced past the rings and fill the crankcase. If the cylinder fills with liquid gas and then you attempt to start the gen. you could bend a connecting rod. I would shut off the fuel, drain the carb, remove the spark plugs and then run the starter to clear the raw gas out of the cylinders. Then I would check to see if the oil level has INCREASED. If it has you have diluted the oil with gas. Change the oil & filter. Gasoline fumes and electrical sparks are not a good combination. If you can, check the float and see if it is sticking.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:57 AM   #8
ocho

There appears to be a solenoid at the bottom of the carb. Does that control the float?
Old 10-17-2014, 06:07 AM   #9
Jim & DJ

jsmith948, I couldn't have said it better.......
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:21 AM   #10
ocho

Pulled the carb and the float is full of I'm assuming fuel. No clue how it got in there. A small crack i guess. Silly question but do they partially fill a float with fluid these days? Perhap to help with rapid fluctuations?
Old 10-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho View Post
Pulled the carb and the float is full of I'm assuming fuel. No clue how it got in there. A small crack i guess. Silly question but do they partially fill a float with fluid these days? Perhap to help with rapid fluctuations?
The float should Not have any liquid in it. I would say you found your problem, since the float had liquid in it, it couldn't "float" and shut off the fuel.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #12
ocho

That's what i was afraid of. Found the problem anyway. I've got a call into keystrone to determine where they mounted the converter. It's not in the usual places. Frustrating
Old 10-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
That's what i was afraid of. Found the problem anyway. I've got a call into keystrone to determine where they mounted the converter. It's not in the usual places. Frustrating
If it isn't part of the fuse panel, it has to be real close. The stand alone ones don't have a very long cord.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #14
ocho

It's not behind or associated with the fuse panel. I know that is the logical place. And its not up front where the second battery would be if i had one. Keystone says there may have been a change order associated with me unit and they are checking. Lucky me!
Old 10-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #15
ocho

Success with the generator. Can't remember it ever running this good. I found the converter. It was next to the central vac requiring the removal of a panel. The two 40 amp fuses were in tact. Any other ideas as to why the house battery won't change?
Old 10-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #16
SAABDOCTOR

SOMETIMES FLOATS BECOME POURUS OVER TIME SO I would not worry to much about that. put a new float and needle and seat in it. don't forget to set the float height so it does not flood or starv for fuel then change the oil to be sure there is no fuel in the oil. also if you are not using a fuel additive like seafoam or stabil (blue)color it would be wise to do so. these two prducts really do work as claimed and is typical with me your post on success with the gen showed up as i posted my reply. so i'll chenge my rely... GREAT! glad it worked out
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Success with the generator. Can't remember it ever running this good. I found the converter. It was next to the central vac requiring the removal of a panel. The two 40 amp fuses were in tact. Any other ideas as to why the house battery won't change?
On the back of the converter there should be two large wires, one white and one black. With the converter plugged in and operating you should have 13+ VDC at those wires. BLACK is (+) WHITE is (-). If you don't... your converter is toast.

If it is toast, then look at the label for the rating, and make sure the replacement is at least the same amps, more is better in this case.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #18
ocho

[QUOTE=chuckster57;148323]On the back of the converter there should be two large wires, one white and one black. With the converter plugged in and operating you should have 13+ VDC at those wires. BLACK is (+) WHITE is (-). If you don't... your converter is toast.

If it is toast, then look at the label for the rating, and make sure the replacement is at least the same amps, more is better in this case.[/QUOTE

Thanks I'll check that when i get a chance. For now i use a trickle/battery charger. I do use the sea-foam. Its great stuff. I also changed the oil just in case. Thanks for all the help. Made it to Luckenbach. Havin a beer and just chilling.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #19
ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
SOMETIMES FLOATS BECOME POURUS OVER TIME SO I would not worry to much about that. put a new float and needle and seat in it. don't forget to set the float height so it does not flood or starv for fuel then change the oil to be sure there is no fuel in the oil. also if you are not using a fuel additive like seafoam or stabil (blue)color it would be wise to do so. these two prducts really do work as claimed and is typical with me your post on success with the gen showed up as i posted my reply. so i'll chenge my rely... GREAT! glad it worked out
I could understand becoming porous over many years, but were talking a 3 year old generator. The quality of things definitely aint what they used to be
Old 10-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
abneynormal

uhh

no floats aren't filled with fluid. I will give you some advice for winter use some startorn fuel stabilizer. some will say only use pure gasoline and it is a good option but I haven't had any problems in 4 years with ethanol gas plus startron. as for your power converter check the fuses if they aren't blown and it is a wfco product consider it junk and get a good converter. I chose a progressive dynamics after burning up 2 75 amp wfco's