Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
grtoutdoors

2010 Kestone Raptor - roof maintenance

Hi Everyone,

We have a 2010 Keystone Raptor 361LEV - it has been an awesome unit for the years we have owned it => Yippy!

In the past, I have always had the roof inspected and 'touched up' by the local RV shop - but last year we left the trailer "at the lake" and this year are doing the same, so can't take it into the shop and want to look after the roof myself.

Sooo - I am looking for thoughts on what people are using to clean the 'dap' and reseal their roof vents sealant etc. etc. I was watching one video where they used mineral spirits to clean the sealant and Dicor - self leveling dap sealant.

Any advice, thoughts, suggestions - more the welcome.

Thanks in advance.
C
Old 08-26-2014, 02:06 AM   #2
therink

First order is to thoroughly clean the roof and hand scrub all caulked seams. I use a mild detergent for this purpose. Once all is clean, or while detail cleaning, inspect every inch of caulk and you will see if there are any spots that need touching up.
You can apply new dicor self leveling caulk over the old stuff as long as it is real clean. Denatured alcohol on a rag works well for this. Just don't soak the roof membrane withit and clean up any spills quickly.
It is also a good practice to use a detail scrub brush on all vertical caulk seams on the sidewalls and repair any cracked or loose caulk. All it takes is a pinhole for water to get in. Pay particular attention to the lower rain strip on the slide out end walls. A lot of water goes by this area and can degrade the caulk over time.
If you see any screws that look rusty, remove them, dip the screw heads in caulk and then reinstall. Poor seal around screws is a potential leak point.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #3
dave-g

+1 - and mistake I made- wash the sides of the camper when done- I used a roof cleaning product that left the sides of the camper with a lot of streaks.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
grtoutdoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
First order is to thoroughly clean the roof and hand scrub all caulked seams. I use a mild detergent for this purpose. Once all is clean, or while detail cleaning, inspect every inch of caulk and you will see if there are any spots that need touching up.
You can apply new dicor self leveling caulk over the old stuff as long as it is real clean. Denatured alcohol on a rag works well for this. Just don't soak the roof membrane withit and clean up any spills quickly.
It is also a good practice to use a detail scrub brush on all vertical caulk seams on the sidewalls and repair any cracked or loose caulk. All it takes is a pinhole for water to get in. Pay particular attention to the lower rain strip on the slide out end walls. A lot of water goes by this area and can degrade the caulk over time.
If you see any screws that look rusty, remove them, dip the screw heads in caulk and then reinstall. Poor seal around screws is a potential leak point.
Awesome - thanks for the suggestions.