Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
F150Guy

2015 Keystone Premier 22RBPR towing with F150

My wife has her mind set that the 2015 Keystone Premier 22RBPR is what she would like. I would be towing with a F150 crewcab 3.7l with the tow package. Rated towing is 5700.

What do you all think?

Dave
F150Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Thunderchicken

While I'm new to this group, I'm not new to towing. (I have a minor CDL and regularly tow at work.) Have you checked the trailer's GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)? I would use that as the actual trailer weight just to be on the safe side. The actual weight may be lighter depending on how you load the trailer. If the GVWR is well under your tow vehicle rating you're probably good depending on the mechanical condition of your truck. If it's close or over your tow vehicle's rating I would plan on changing trailers or tow vehicles.

Since you're rated to pull 5700#, (pretty light for hauling a travel trailer) I wonder what gears you have in the rear end. Sometimes a simple gear swap will gain towing capacity. (Simple but not necessarily cheap unless you can set up a rear end yourself.) Check the specs for your tow vehicle to see what you might gain by swapping gears. HTH
Old 07-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
GaryWT

Generally with a 150 I would think you are good but the 3.7 is small as is the 5700. I had a 150 with a 4.6 in 2009 and it could only tow about 5700 so upgraded to a 5.4 which towed 8600. Towed a 31bhpr with it. So check your tongue and total weight against the payload and see what that gives you.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:05 AM   #4
Thunderchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
I had a 150 with a 4.6 in 2009 and it could only tow about 5700...
As I posted earlier, gears make a difference. My `09 F-150, 4.6L3V, 6speed tranny, 3.73 rear end is rated at 9300. IIRC That's only 3-400# off of the 5.4 version. Again IIRC That 6 speed's got a 4.17 first gear that's too low when unloaded. It's only in first till about 10MPH.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
F150Guy

Should have posted my vehicle specs. 2011 f150 3.7l 3.73 gears with tow package. Max tow is 5700lbs, It will be just me and the wife, I am thinking any TT under 25 feet. Max on trailer is 4300lb with about 400lb of gear for me and wife. Almost forgot to mention she noticed the 19FBPR, specs show unloaded at 4210lbs. She decided the outside kitchen would most likely not get used much.

Would still like you folks opinion on our choice of trailers and truck towing capacity. Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!!

Dave
Old 07-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
GaryWT

My 2009 F150 only had a 4 speed so that was an issue.

Don't give up on the outside kitchen too quick, it is the best thing and most used thing in our camper and zones so much time at set up, takedown and cooking. Will never own anything without one.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
koko

Can't talk about your tow vehicle, but I will tell you that we've had ours for almost a year and we are NOT DISAPPOINTED!!! We go out in it at least once or twice a month, usually for 1-2 weeks. We actually like the 19 better, because we didn't care for the console at the foot of the bed on the
22. We also like the short length. We can go so many places that longer trailers can't. For us personally, we would not have wanted to tow anything longer with our Durango. We have a lot of room (we also travel with a 55-lb dog) and tremendous storage space. The inside kitchen is very adequate for food preparation. Among our several mods, we added the cutting board over the stove top for a little added counter space. The bathroom is very large for such a small trailer. We have no complaints at all - this camper has been just fabulous (and we've owned a few of various sizes and types to compare it with).

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
F150Guy

Problem with the 3.7L limited towing taken care of. After spending the last few weekends going to every RV dealer within 300 miles and looking at every lightweight trailer the 3.7L f150 could pull, we decided a truck upgrade was needed.

It took a few days of searching and a lot of phone calls but the wife found a great deal on an F150 Lariat Supercrew 5.0 with 3.73 gears. The price was right and they gave us top dollar for our trade in. Now on to find the right trailer for the wife and I. Let the search begin !!!!

will try to post some pics later.

Dave
Old 08-10-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
bsmith0404

As mentioned before, don't give up too soon on the outdoor kitchen. We don't have one, but we do have a camp chef. We NEVER cook inside our camper. I set up the camp chef, pull the second propane tank from the RV (could travel with a separate tank for it, but figured I already have two, why bother) and cook outside. The cover stays on the stove for extra counter space (flush mount cover) and the smells from cooking stay outside as well as all of the clean-up. I carry 8' folding tables in the basement storage and a large Rubbermaid tote with pots and pans. I also set up a dishwashing station next to the outdoor shower (no shower head). I'm camping, love doing everything I can outside. I even have an electric griddle I can plug into the outside outlet for making pancakes or french toast. I'm not exactly roughing it, but it's our version of roughing it.

Good luck in your search for a new RV.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
logspec1

Smile towing

Not sure what size you are looking at but I can recommend the Keystone Bullet series. Very nice and well within your tow weight. Had my 246RBS for two years and the wife and I just upgraded to the 30REPR. Very happy with the quality and service we have received. Even when out of warranty.
5.0 V8 w/tow package
logspec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
bcso416

Towing

We just purchased the 22RBPR and love it. We pull it with the new dodge ram quad cab with the 3.6 L and the 8 speed auto. So far no problems. With your newer truck I would think any one of the Premier models would be a good choice. I have not had an outside kitchen, so Its new to me. After giving it some thought, we decided to get a model that had one. I believe it will be a good thing and you might too. Stay safe and enjoy!!!!!
bcso416 is offline   Reply With Quote