Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
gkainz

Adding batteries

so, to follow up my "removing batteries" thread, let's change directions and ask about adding batteries.

Our 245RL came with 1 12v battery, mounted in the forward compartment street side, oriented sideways. I have 2 more 12v batteries I want to add, and it seems more logical to me to orient them for and aft, instead of sideways, since they'll fit that way (for and aft) and won't take up as much room in the compartment. The single, original battery is recessed thru the floor of the compartment. Is that the recommended way to install these? Cut a hole in the floor that fits a battery box?
Thoughts about strapping the battery box to the floor of the compartment instead?
Thoughts on additional weight of 2 more 12v batteries off-center?
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I have 2 - 6v Trojans housed in a single, secured battery box slightly off center (towards the street-side) in the front storage compartment. These 2 Trojans are probably almost as heavy as 3 regular 12volts. I have not noticed any difference in the handling or ride of the 5th wheel because they are slightly off center. There is no recessed storage area in the front compartment in our Cougar 5th.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
Ruffus

Talking Counter Balance

Just my 2 cent's. I counter balance my batteries by putting an air compressor for tires, a set of golf clubs, speed cart for the golf clubs, 30 feet of 50 amp electrical cord, 100 foot 20 amp extension cord and 50 foot of air hose and haven't had any problems towing. (ex boy scout, I like being prepared)
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
mkeuning

Hi, gkainz. Did you wind up adding batteries? We just took delivery of the same model (245rl) and I want to add at least one more battery before the season starts. Right now I'm just planning on putting it in front of the stock recessed battery, in a battery box (but with no new hole cut-out in the floor).
mkeuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
gkainz

Mike - I've got 2 12v batteries in the garage - I'm going to do like you said initially, just put them in battery boxes and not cut holes in the compartment floor. I'll screw some tiedown fasteners into the compartment floor and strap them down with that.

I'm still undecided about leaving them separate with a battery switch or gang them all together in parallel. My old pair are 4 years old, and the one that came with the 5er is less than a year old.

Greg
Old 03-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
andyrad

Really I doubt that on a 10,000 plus pound Rv that adding two batteries off center will make a difference in how it tows. Just a thought.
andyrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
gkainz

Yeah, actually I'm not that concerned. My Honda 2000i goes in the other corner of the compartment for balance...
Old 03-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm also going to install a second battery in the front compartment. My propane tanks, battery and jacks/crank handles are all stored there. The question that comes to mind is this: The current single battery is in an vented battery box. There is a hole in the bottom of the compartment that the box sits over and a flex hose that is attached to a vent just above the compartment door. It sounds like some here are planning to install a regular battery box with a strap around it next to the current box. With the compartment having the propane tanks, it's already vented to the outside, so venting shouldn't be a problem, but if that's the case, why did Keystone put a more expensive vented box in the compartment??? Is it necessary and am I missing something?

Thanks
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:03 AM   #9
slewis95407

JRTJH
Venting is necessary no matter what else is in the compartment. Put a Tee or Y connector on the inlet hose and drill a hole in the bottom of the battery box and compartment.

Scott

Fulltimer
2011 Cougar 326MKS
1997 F250 Reg. Cab. 7.3L
slewis95407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Houndie Dog

You definately want to vent any battery gasses to the outside. The gasses are corrosive and do not play well with any metal that is around them. If for nothing else, just to protect your trailer frame.
Hensly TS3 trailer-saver hitch
KVH TracVision R4SL
3 Basset Hounds "Lucy, Ethel, & Fred"
https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...vado/coach.jpg
Houndie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #11
hankaye

Howdy All;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndie Dog View Post
You definately want to vent any battery gasses to the outside. The gasses are corrosive and do not play well with any metal that is around them. If for nothing else, just to protect your trailer frame.
Please don't forget that the gas given off by charging batteries is Hydrogen gas. Anyone remember the old film of the Hindenburg going up in flames at Lakehurst, N.J. ???
THAT is the most important reason for venting the battery compartment. IMO!

hank
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
phoneman16

2nd Battery

Just bought our first 5er, a 327RES. Took delivery on it last week. I too had a second AC unit put in the front. Got it at Camping world.
My question here is what is the advantage of a second battery?
We will be using the unit on a seasonal site until the finances allow for the purchase of a truck.
phoneman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

If you are plugged into shore power all the time, there isn't much advantage of having a second battery. Once you start "boon docking" or dry camping or relying soley on your batteries for a weekend , then you will soon see the advantage of having two. A single battery will not last as long as having a second battery (wired in properly) under these conditions.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

It was FINALLY warm enough today to work outside..... YIPPEEE!!!...

I got the second battery installed. Drilled a 2.5" hole in the steel floor of the front compartment, realigned both battery boxes from side to side to a front rear position. Tied both vent hoses to the existing vent. I don't know if there will be any noticable difference sitting in the driveway, but with changing all the lights to LED, installing second battery and carrying a very small 2 cycle generator, we should be able to stay almost anywhere as long as the water holds out and holding tanks don't fill LOL

I do feel better with both batteries in sealed boxes and properly vented, although it is not easy to find sealed battery boxes for a reasonable price.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
Slownsy

Use sealed batteries and have no problems
Slownsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #16
gkainz

I have nearly driven myself to madness pursing this job. My wife says it's a short trip

I shopped and shopped for boxes to match the factory-installed box, with no luck. The closest I got was something like this box

but the lips of the halves are nowhere near as thick and wide as the factory box. I envisioned my batteries splattered on the road when they fell thru the opening in the compartment.

I pondered making my own box to replace the factory box and accept the additional batteries, but my stubborn streak made me continue to dig for the right box.

Finally, I emailed Keystone directly, who responded with "Have your dealer order Part #179817 directly from us."

Bonus score - it's considerably cheaper than the one listed above!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

GKAINZ: I bought the box with the narrow lip, the expensive one. If you don't mind, how much did Keystone want for their box? I might just order that box just to make the pair look the same..... I know, I know, I get blamed for it all the time LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #18
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
GKAINZ: I bought the box with the narrow lip, the expensive one. If you don't mind, how much did Keystone want for their box? I might just order that box just to make the pair look the same..... I know, I know, I get blamed for it all the time LOL
My dealer said it's $13.95, plus guesstimating $10 shipping. That puts 2 of the factory boxes at a little less than one of the others.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Thanks much... Will contact my dealer tomorrow and order one. That way I've got a matched pair and a spare LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS