Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
jaeger63

Important things to check before buying used RV

My wife is driving several hours this weekend to look at a used toy hauler that we have found for sale. I'm deployed overseas for two more weeks which is why I'm not going. We're afraid it will sell quick as it appears to be in great shape at a fair price. She intends to give him a deposit so he will hold it until I get home and can go pick it up. I'm pretty much trusting her to check it out as best as she can and decide whether or not to put down the non-refundable deposit. I was hoping some of you could tell me what you think are some of the most important items to check. I can certainly think of the most obvious ones like the slide outs, tires, generator, etc. but I'm sure there are many I'm not thinking of simply because neither of us have ever owner an RV.. The Rv is a 2010 Fuzion FZ322. It looks immaculate in the pics. The owner says the generator only has about 40 hours on it. The tires have been changed within the past year. He says there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Any help on things to check would be greatly appreciated.
jaeger63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
sptddog

If she's willing, have her get up on the roof to look around for splits, cracks, or seam that look like they could have left water in. I go up on mine, though some of my other women camping friends will not lol. Water damage is pretty easy to spot - soft spots on floor, discolored spots on walls, and/or wallpaper peeling etc. Also have her ask him to run water, light the propane, make sure the fridge works, and ideally that the air conditioner blows cold air and the heat blows warm. I don't know much about generators, but one thing folks advised me to ask about when we bought ours was if it wasn't used hard, was the generator run regularly (apparently if they sit they get gunked up). With a 2010, there shouldn't be too many issues. If the tires were changed, I'd look underneath for damage from a blowout (unless he was just proactive), or other suspension issues (there is a thread on here somewhere with pictures of worn suspension parts.

ETA: you might also want to google the model and see what known 'issues' people had with that model. They might help her look for certain things that model was known for. I know I googled the Fuzion 342's and found the plug isn't always in the heating strip in the air conditioner. No issue, just isn't plugged in, but had I not known, I'd have assumed the heater in the rear air conditioner didn't work as it was supposed to. Small details.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

There is a pre-delivery inspection checklist that I think would be valuable to her when she does a walk through/inspection of the unit. It is intended for folks buying an RV from a dealership but can be used with a purchase from anyone.

This checklist can be viewed, printed off and taken with her when she does the "inspection". To access it, go the Keystone Questions section of the forum and look for the sticky with the same name. It's right at the top of the thread list.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
abneynormal

well

for the roof and seams check out rudys rv on you tube for what to check. I would ask the owner about the plumbing and winterization and de winterization tips. I would have her film the inspection and email it to you. now after you have checked the roof and innards out look at the tires. maxxis = good power king or master trac = bad. for the future of your rv one of the best investments you can make if it hasn't been added is a wet bolt suspension upgrade including your equa flex if equipped or upgrade to ez or equa flex suspension. good luck with your purchase and happy rving
Old 03-31-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
2014Fuzion300

Make sure the refrigerator and AC are working! Check for water damage around corners, vents and windows, check that the floor doesn't have "soft" spots, that there is no leaks from the tanks.
Bouncey!

Sent from my iPad.
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:56 AM   #6
dave-g

1st- I would not do business with any one- who would not refund your deposit! That is your 1st sign you should run!
2nd- I would not do business with any one who would do that to a man deployed!!
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:04 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Personal opinion, wait until you get home unless you fully trust her to know what to look for. It may seem like a good deal and that it will sell fast, but RVs typically don't, the market of potential buyers is small. However, if you don't want to take a chance, the pre delivery checklist mentioned previously is a good place to start.

Have her look around in every storage space she can. For example, go into the basement storage and look up at the flooring material to see if there is any water staining. Typically the shower and bedroom slides are just above this area, if there are any water leaks the floor in that area will show staining that can be seen from the basement.

Look for ripples down the sides. Water damage will often cause delamination which will appear as ripples. Delamination is very expensive to repair!

Check the tires, not only for being new and brand, but do they all appear to be tracking straight. I see RVs all of the time that have a wheel that appears to be leaning in. The question is if it can be fixed with an alignment or is it bent suspension?

One other suggestion, look before you jump. I bought 2 RVs when I was stationed in Colorado/Wyoming, bought from dealers in Wisconsin. IMO, RV prices are very high out there for some reason. I got the exact same model and floor plan I wanted for over $7000 less than the best price I could find in Colorado (on both RVs). To me, worth driving a bit for that kind of savings. Of course, I had someone in the area who could go check it out for me ahead of time.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:45 AM   #8
MBD

THIS:
X2

1st- I would not do business with any one- who would not refund your deposit! That is your 1st sign you should run!
2nd- I would not do business with any one who would do that to a man deployed!!

There are way too many used RVs that you cannot afford to let this one get away.
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Another option to consider would be for you to get someone who is knowledgeable about RV's - someone who is a long-time RVer - to go along with her when she goes looking.

While lists and other aids are beneficial, you can beat having someone there with a "trained eye" to know what to look for. Besides, it's always nice to get a second opinion about the integrity of the salesman and dealership you are working with.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
matandjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Another option to consider would be for you to get someone who is knowledgeable about RV's - someone who is a long-time RVer - to go along with her when she goes looking.

While lists and other aids are beneficial, you can beat having someone there with a "trained eye" to know what to look for. Besides, it's always nice to get a second opinion about the integrity of the salesman and dealership you are working with.

I could not agree more. When we bought our first unit I thought I knew what I was doing (Brought a list) and I missed a ton of little things. Luckily it was new so we were able to get everything addressed. With a used unit you run a greater risk of buying someone else's problem so having someone there who really knows what they are looking for is invaluable.

Things like:

axles
Fuel tanks
Awnings
oven
shower

etc are things that someone with a trained eye can see if there were issues or items you should be aware of.
matandjen is offline   Reply With Quote