Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
dkahs05

insect screens

I have a 2012 Keystone Premier 26BH Travel Trailer. And I want to protect the water heater, the furnace exhaust and the fridge access panel from flying insects (wasp, mud daubers, etc.) Does anyone recommend a particular item? Thanks
dkahs05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
cathcartww

Most the big RV Accessory places including Camping World, etc. carry screen kits for the various brands of water heates and fridges - Camco is one of the big names.

We use a full winter cover which seems to keep them out ....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
Bushman512000

I have screens I made

Hi I use stainless Drain screens from any big box store for the furnace.Metal window replacement screen for behind the fridge vent panel.And also small chunk of the screen for Hot water heater.I hold drain screens in place with the screws that is there.Fridge and hot water heater a well placed little bead of sil.calk.cost not a lot the bees hate it and do not get in but try they like the smell of propane I think...Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
dkahs05

Thanks Bushman512000 for your reply I think I'll give that a try.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Bushman512000

screens

get the metal screen cloth even a used one will work and save the dollor for a different mod..Bushman
Old 11-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
dandjh1958

Flea Collars instead of screens

We were told when we bought our pop-up to throw a flea collar in the area where the three way refrig controls are. They dealer said it would deter wasps, spiders and other insects getting in the baffles for the refrig and heater intakes etc.
We replace it in the spring each year and so far- so bugs (ants, wasps, etc) in the pop-up. We just got our TT so we also tossed one in it. No worries until next summer but I think it will work just fine.
I also keep a couple in the bottom of some of the bottom drawers- I don't like bugs ;-)

Happy camping!
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Bushman512000

never herd of that before

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjh1958 View Post
We were told when we bought our pop-up to throw a flea collar in the area where the three way refrig controls are. They dealer said it would deter wasps, spiders and other insects getting in the baffles for the refrig and heater intakes etc.
We replace it in the spring each year and so far- so bugs (ants, wasps, etc) in the pop-up. We just got our TT so we also tossed one in it. No worries until next summer but I think it will work just fine.
I also keep a couple in the bottom of some of the bottom drawers- I don't like bugs ;-)

Happy camping!
What ever works that is a fix I never herd of before thanks for the tip.I had a pet Ferret and never had Mice about a month after She died the mice came.Miss the Ferret but a lot of work haveing pets.Bushman
Old 11-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #8
hsmunoz

I went to HD and bought a roll of mesh, and a coil of galvanized wire. Spent a morning with some coffee and snippers, cut to length , and used the wire to secure in place with a twist and then cut off excess. Did the whole 5th wheel for like 12 bucks. I did every opening on the coach. We leave the 5th on our land for 9months and no issues with bugs.
cheers
hsmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
Bushman512000

Hi Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmunoz View Post
I went to HD and bought a roll of mesh, and a coil of galvanized wire. Spent a morning with some coffee and snippers, cut to length , and used the wire to secure in place with a twist and then cut off excess. Did the whole 5th wheel for like 12 bucks. I did every opening on the coach. We leave the 5th on our land for 9months and no issues with bugs.
cheers
Not to bug but You from Brighton Mi.? We are across from Algonac Mi.The Wife is from Mi.Flat Rock area raised in Pt.Huron.small world Bushman..
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
hsmunoz

no worries
just a little west, Brighton Colorado ;c)!
hsmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
Bushman512000

cool

Real cool lol Bushman
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
dkahs05

Thanks for all the reply's..
Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #13
asp125

I looked under the 5-er the other day and the whole generator / propane area is riddled with holes for venting; some as large as my palm. My plan is to zip tie/wire pieces of mesh over them. But a couple of the openings have wiring/hoses coming through them. Has anyone seen a method to wrap screening around hoses? Maybe some sort of sleeve? Trying to avoid having to goop it up with lots of spray foam.
asp125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
MBD

We currently full time - between use and maintenance, no real issues that can't be handled with DIY pest control methods. When the trailer was stored between trips in the past, I used blue painter's tape to cover everything. It is cheap, easy to apply and remove, and I never worried about restricted air flow from screens damaging anything.
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #15
TLB

Some very useful tips listed here. Where I park my tt between trips is next to my pole barn next to a farmers field. They grow lots of melons, pickles, and other crops that bee's & hornets just love to visit.

I am going to try some of these tips.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:51 AM   #16
Charby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkahs05 View Post
I have a 2012 Keystone Premier 26BH Travel Trailer. And I want to protect the water heater, the furnace exhaust and the fridge access panel from flying insects (wasp, mud daubers, etc.) Does anyone recommend a particular item? Thanks
The furnace on the Premier uses the Atwood 2004 furnace cover.
I went through the knee deep snow on the weekend to have a peak at the trailer, and slapped on the screen. It fits perfect.
We got another 6" of the stuff yesterday.