Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Dave and Lynn

2011 Keystone Alpine 3555RL

Hi, After a lot of research and looking at a ton of comparable units, we are getting ready to purchase a Keystone Alpine 3555RL. We have read through many different forums and can't seem to locate anyone who has this unit. Does anyone have any last minute advice we should consider? Anything different we should be looking for during our PDI?
Thanks,
Dave and Lynn
Dave and Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
geo

Dave and Lynn -

I think this is one of the newer Alpine models, so you may be "the first" in the Forum. Congratulations and Happy Camping!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Dave and Lynn

Do I get a prize for being the first with that model? LOL, that was what I was afraid of. Getting a new model where many of the potential problems have not been worked through yet.
We are so excited though, hope nothing goes wrong this week to sour the deal.
Lynn
Old 04-11-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
mel07green

Dave and Lynn

We have the 2011 3500RE, but I like your layout very much, particularly the front end. The bedroom seems to have a more spacious feel. And the linen closet is a bonus.

After a few teething problems, we're really enjoying our Alpine. Out of curiosity, what other units were on your short list?

Mel
Old 04-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
Dave and Lynn

The other unit that we were considering was a Grand Junction 352MS. The bedroom on that unit was very spacious and they were giving us a great deal. However, once we made one last stop before going back to seal the deal on that, we found the Alpine.
What sort of teething problems did you have?
Lynn
Old 04-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
mel07green

Freezing up, mainly. We were assured, numerous times, by the Alpine rep at the factory that we'd be good down to -4. All tanks and lines froze at around 20 degrees, despite the furnace running non-stop.

We were also without a fridge for five weeks, when the cooling unit died due to faulty installation. (They had failed to cut out the wall to vent the thing.) After much much buck-passing between Keystone and Dometic, it was repaired under warranty.

Apart from that, my only gripes are with the overall shoddy workmanship and low QC. This is my first RV, so not sure if that's a Keystone thing, or industry wide.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
geo

Smile Next time, I'll do this . . .

Dave and Lynn -

As with any type of mechanical or electronic article, there will be the good and bad, the plus and minus. It doesn't take much reading on this forum to see there are Keystone owners who have had no problems at all, others (like us) who have had some minor frustrations but are happy, and then the occasional owner who has had the nightmare we all hope will never happen. Is your Keystone RV dealer local? If so, you are very lucky – the dealer will be much more receptive to working with you on warranty issues. As you can read in the forum, dealers who didn't sell you the RV are, overall, less helpful when it comes to warranty issues.

Since you asked about "teething problems", let me share with you what I call my "Next Time Nit-picky List" of things to do when DW and I buy another fifth wheel (simpler pop-ups didn't seem to be a problem). But, before this list, I would recommend printing off the checklist from Flyguy. You can find it on his Website: http://www.eaa1358.com/Passport/Pre-...0Checklist.pdf

My own, growing, "Next Time I Buy One Of These Things, I'll Use My Nit-Picky List, Too":

1) Insist on spending the first night (Monday – Thursday) near the selling RV dealer. Leave the dogs with the daughter or friend, get the sleeping bags out, and stay somewhere close to the dealer! Even if I have to take vacation days, pickup the fiver Monday through Thursday, spend the first night locally, and then either come home or leave the fiver at the dealer's service department. Better yet, if I can, work out to not take complete title to the fiver until satisfied after that first night or repair work.
2) During the PDI, insist that the dealer fills the fresh water tank at least a third full, while I am present. Watch to see if the flow of the fill water is restricted. I'll sanitize the tank later, get water in it now. Open all dump valves to assure the grey and black tanks are empty. Turn pump on. Run the toilet or ask dealer to dump several gallons of water into the toilet before putting any water in grey tanks. Now, open the black water tank valve to see if it really is the black tank – should be the only one with water.
3) Visit all the sinks. Put the stopper in the sink and run them at least half full of water. Does the water run slow? Pull the stopper and let the water run out. Look underneath the sinks for leaks.
4) Take shoes off and get in the shower, close the door and spray water along the walls, glass enclosure, and door. Dry feet and look for leaks.
5) Ask dealer to connect city water supply with regulator. Ask dealer to remove at least one basement panel to expose plumbing and check for leaks.
6) (We live in Texas and love to travel in the Southwest.) Have them park the fiver outside in the sun during the afternoon. Turn the A/C on 65, then leave to eat lunch. When we get back, how cool is the fiver? If cool, turn off the A/C and turn the furnace on 90. Check all heating vents carefully. If fiver has a heating fireplace, turn it on "hell" also.
7) Turn furnace off and open all windows. Do the shades operate easily? Do the windows operate easily?
8) Does the refrigerator cool and the freezer freeze? Is the hot water hot? Where's the antenna booster?
9) In the evening, when camped, unless it rains, get the hose and sprayer out. Climb on the roof and spray the roof down. Spray the entire fiver perimeter from above like a heavy rain. Climb off roof and spray the sides. While I'm outside playing in the water, have DW check inside – everywhere – for leaks.
10) Find every outlet, even the one hidden next to the bed, and plug in DW's hair dryer. Run it for a few minutes on hot. Does the circuit breaker trip? Does the outlet have power?
11) Deploy and inflate extra hidden bed from couch. Lay down for at least an hour while watching TV. Now, deflate it and put it up.
12) Have breakfast at the dining table. Do I need to lose weight to be able to sit comfortably at the table? Can I move the darned thing?
13) Are the axles self-lubricating, have a zert fitting, or do I need to pack them every X number of miles?
14) Get under the fiver in the morning and look around. Notice any water? Is the road cover sagging or detaching?
15) Do the above in addition to a PDI check list that I should have used last time.

Overall, yes, we are happy with our Alpine 3640RL. Our biggest frustration was actually the inept sales manager at the Oklahoma City dealer. No, our Alpine was not perfect (as you can see from my above list), but we are happy with it and plan to put many miles and many days exploring North America with it.

Happy Camping!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
mikell

We are full timers in our 3640 rl so it hasn't had too many miles no major complaints but the AC might be a problem as far as keeping up
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
Dave and Lynn

mikell, do you have one or two ac units?

Ron, thank you for all of those tips. I will be going through those also with a fine tooth comb along with the pdi list. We are very lucky in that we live about 20 miles from the dealer. They know coming into the deal that I am extremely picky and will push until things are made right. If that dealer does not work out as far as warranty work, there is actually a Camping World right in that vicinity also. They sell Keystone units there, just not this line. I am sure though that I could persuade them to pick up this unit if I was having trouble with our original dealer. So far though, Windish RV, has been pretty great to us.

Mel, Do you have the North Face Insulation Package on your unit? Why do they say it is freezing at 20? I am sorry you had to go through so much with your fridge. I am going to make sure tomorrow that they show me where my fridge is vented.

I think all new units are going to have some initial problems. But I think you will all agree that a few problems that we can work through does not make it a terrible unit or the manufacturing company lacking any QC at all. I have read some postings about Keystone from some very unhappy people. A few had some legitimate issues, but there seem to be a type of person who can not be happy no matter what their RV is going through, looks like, or costs. You could give them a free model of their dreams and they still would not be happy. This is true in life in general.

Well thanks again for all the advice, you have all been a big help!
Lynn
Old 04-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #10
JOCA

Dave and Lynn -
Good luck with your new unit. We should be picking-up our Alpine 2011 - 3200RL sometime this week. This will be our third keystone product. We started with a 27' Cougar, went to a Montana - 2980 RL - 10th Anniversary Edition and now the Alpine. So far we have been very happy with Keystone. Some minor adjustment with the Montana (bedroom dresser not fully attached to wall), easy fix and TV/Stereo system not hooked-up properly. All taken care of and hopefully, we will be as lucky with the Alpine.
JOCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #11
mel07green

Lynn

According to the pretty brochure and the rep who showed us the unit at Goshen, the Alpine is meant to be good to to at least -4 degrees. The "heated" waterworks are a joke. There are a couple of furnace vents aimed in their general direction, but the steel frame sucks up most of that heat.

After a mishap where we tore off the spare tire and part of the underbelly , we had the opportunity to see what an unholy mess it is down there. Water lines and ducts are crammed in willy-nilly. We plan to reorganise and insulate the whole thing.

As for the fridge, Keystone said the installation was correct. Dometic begged to differ, but picked up the tab anyhow. The independent RV repair guy we took it to was shocked when he took off the top vent outside. The interior wall covered the entire rear of the fridge, apart from a three-inch cutaway.

Re the fit and finish. I do think this is an issue. There is undeniable sloppy workmanship throughout. Misaligned doors, shredded screws, warped cabinetry, holes too big for plumbing (come in mice!), mislabeled or unlabeled switches and valves, the list is endless.

Having said that, I DO like the Alpine overall. The layout works well for us. I love the kitchen (it's actually nicer than the one in my home, though the oven is a bugger to light). Great storage, particularly in the bedroom (a critical factor), and I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that the countertops scratch if I so much as look at them.

If I did this a second time around, would I buy an Alpine? Hard to say. But I haven't got buyer's remorse. Yet.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
mikell

I have a single heat pump but the air flow seems bad I'm going to call Monday and find out if it can be repaired. I've heard others say that the factory re worked theirs
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #13
Dave and Lynn

JOCA, Congratulations on your new unit. It sounds like Keystone has been good to you since this is your 3rd unit from them. That is great. Your dealer must really stand behind the product too in regards to service. Because if you aren't getting good service, it can sour any relationship with a dealer even if you like him.

Mel, I wonder how I can get into the underbelly to see how things look without having to have a mishap, LOL. I have heard from several people that the way things are organized leaves a lot to be desired and can lead to problems.... Our main complaints today were fit and finish, with a few big items they are going to take care of. Overall, we were happy with the pickup experience today. I had all of Geo's notes and the pdi. We got through the majority of it at the dealer, some of it we will finish here at home. And then of course go for a shake down next weekend probably.

Mikell, Yes that is true about the air flow. When we first looked at the unit we found a problem with the air conditioner right away, caused by someone not being as careful as they should have been.

I have 2 other posts out right now about Extended Warranties and a Warranty on the Exterior of the unit if you would like to chime in there.

Thank you so much for the advice!!!
Lynn
2 Fantastic Grandsons
2 Dogs, 2 Cats

2008 Ford F450 DRW
BMW Companion Hitch

Old 04-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
Dave and Lynn

Mel, Weren't those tanks supposed to be wrapped also? A vent pointed at them is not going to keep them from freezing.
Lynn
2 Fantastic Grandsons
2 Dogs, 2 Cats

2008 Ford F450 DRW
BMW Companion Hitch