Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
a&j

Surge Protectors...are they "required"?

I just bought a 2014 Raptor 300MP and the sales guy told me that I "should seriously consider buying a surge protector to cover acts of god" and the 1 year bumper to bumper coverage will not cover any damage from a voltage spike. For the price I paid for the trailer and the cost of the surge protector the dealership was trying to sell me (over $450 for a 50 amp) why didn't Keystone put one in while they were building the trailer? I've read articles on owners burning up the stuff inside the trailer and I want to protect mine....but is it required?
a&j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

a&j -
Your salesman's advice was good and you should take him up on it. I'm not sure whether or not a surge protector covers "acts of God" but it will protect your RV and its electrical contents from serious damage from electrical surges and other electrical faults - depending upon the type of surge protector you buy.

Some of the less expensive ones are "portable" and usually offer less protection than ones that are hard-wired into the RV's electrical system.

They come in a wide range of prices from about $95 for a simple protector that offers limited protection to $500-$600 for types that offer protection from a variety of electrical faults and surges.

It is not "required" but you should think of it as a wise and long-lasting investment. You can't always rely on the power at campgrounds. Many power stands are old, wiring is suspect, and voltage may vary significantly. Should something go wrong, all of the electrical items - large and small - could be ruined and there is always the possibility of fire.

There are many campers who have camped for years and do not "bother" with a protector and have, so far, avoided any problems. This is not to say that they will never have any issues but may be a matter of when. It's similar to some kinds of insurance. It may not be required but what kind of a mess will you find yourself in if something happens?
Old 10-25-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
crash

It is not requiered but its a wise idea to have one just for piece of mind
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #4
Bob Landry

The salesman's advice was sound, but his price quote is a little high. You can shop around on line and find one a lot cheaper and they are easy to install. Buying online means no sales tax(other than Amazon) and possible free shipping. One of the most common and most popular versions is made by Progressive Industries. I have not read of anyone having issues with them. Over model comes comes with a digital display that can be remote mounted.

Another worthwhile investment will be a water regulator. Campground water pressure is as unreliable as their power. Avoid the cheapies like Camco and the ones that the dealers always throw into the giveaway packages. Watts is the best and you can find them online for around $75.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
The salesman's advice was sound, but his price quote is a little high. You can shop around on line and find one a lot cheaper and they are easy to install. Buying online means no sales tax(other than Amazon) and possible free shipping. One of the most common and most popular versions is made by Progressive Industries. I have not read of anyone having issues with them. Over model comes comes with a digital display that can be remote mounted.

Another worthwhile investment will be a water regulator. Campground water pressure is as unreliable as their power. Avoid the cheapies like Camco and the ones that the dealers always throw into the giveaway packages. Watts is the best and you can find them online for around $75.
X2 on Progressive and Watts products!!
Both are important additions.
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The same issue of power protection applies at home. Few of us would buy a new $1500 computer or a $2000 flat screen LED TV and not want to protect it with a surge protector. We don't expect the manufacturer to provide one with the TV or computer, but feel good if the store provides us one with the purchase. Almost always, we buy it either with the new product or on the way home at a big box store.

RV's are much the same. The manufacturer, like the computer/TV manufacturer, doesn't provide a surge protector nor do they provide the cables for a "special hookup". RV manufacturers likewise don't provide the "extras." That's left up to the customer to get the kind he feels is necessary.

Sooner or later, I'd hope that either the manufacturer or the dealer will start providing at least basic protection. After all, they usually provide a "basic starter kit" with water hose, 30/15 Amp adapter, toilet paper, sewer hose, bubble level, etc. Wouldn't it be nice if they also included a basic surge protector as well? Hopefully it would be one that the customer would have the option of trading in on any other model in stock if they wanted to upgrade at RV purchase.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #7
westom

Quote:
Originally Posted by a&j View Post
... and the sales guy told me that I "should seriously consider buying a surge protector to cover acts of god" and the 1 year bumper to bumper coverage will not cover any damage from a voltage spike.
Numerous and completely different devices all sell under the term 'surge protector'. No protector addresses all anomalies. Many recommend protectors assuming it does all anomalies.

A most common problem is high or low voltage. These are not harmful to electronics. But can be harmful to motorized appliances. Surge protectors unique to trailers address this anomaly since campground wiring is so often compromised and stressed during camping season. A protector's specification numbers should state what high and low voltage cause it to disconnect power.

Another common problem is missing earth ground. No protector can detect or protect from that fault. At best, it can only report a missing safety ground. Earth ground requires inspection.

Anomalies such as power factor, harmonics, EMC/EMI, frequency variation, etc are lesser problems often ignored by protectors.

Surges can be high voltage or current, or low voltage or current (according to how protectors are promoted).

A second concern is a high current that destructively seeks earth ground (ie lightning). No protector will stop or absorb this transient. A different protector located at the power pole can connect that transient harmlessly to earth. Not stop it. Connect it to earth so that it never enters the trailer. This anomaly is potentially destructive to both motorized and electronics appliances.

Only solution that can protect from that anomaly must have a short connection (ie 'less than 10 feet') to earth ground. These protectors are often chained to a pole to avert theft.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
Bigsky3625

Heck yes get one! But get more than just a surge protector.

We have the Progressive and are glad we do. It has triggered several times due to surges but it also monitors opens and shorts plus voltage, amps and hz.

I guess a good test would be to ask yourself if you wouldn't mind replacing all your electronics in your trailer. Cheap insurance if you ask me.
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Bugz1985

Yes get one I had them install one on my new Raptor $300 installed at camping world
Bugz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
Sicapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
After all, they usually provide a "basic starter kit" with water hose, 30/15 Amp adapter, toilet paper, sewer hose, bubble level, etc.
Lucky guy! I didn'nt get anything when I bought my Passport 195RB. Hey, even the propane tanks were empty
So as far as including a surge protector with the purchase... dream on my friend...

But I did purchase a progressive EMS HW-30C and glad I did. Kind of pricy when you include duty and brokage fees (I'm in Canada) but well worth the price and piece of mind (cause it did protect us a couple of times).

2013 Passport 195RB
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 3,6L
Sicapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicapo View Post
Lucky guy! I didn'nt get anything when I bought my Passport 195RB. Hey, even the propane tanks were empty
So as far as including a surge protector with the purchase... dream on my friend...

But I did purchase a progressive EMS HW-30C and glad I did. Kind of pricy when you include duty and brokage fees (I'm in Canada) but well worth the price and piece of mind (cause it did protect us a couple of times).
Remind me never to try to deal with your dealership

We got the Camco deluxe starter kit with both our last RV's. It's a formal kit that comes in a sealed box. http://tweetys.com/deluxestarterkit1.aspx

Bought them from different dealerships, so it's not just one dealer. Unfortunately, a surge protector or EMS was not a part of that kit, but I did get 15% off everything I bought that day in their store and 10% off everything I buy in the future. There wasn't an expiration date that I can find on the discount card.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
abneynormal

not required but a great idea

I don't like the word surge protector. if that's all you buy then that's all you will get. I bought the progressive industries rv power protection with surge protection. the difference is it shuts your rv down due to an assortment of electrical problem s I researched price and reviews here is where I got mine
http://www.lawrencerv.com/products.asp?cat=13
Old 10-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by abneynormal View Post
I don't like the word surge protector. if that's all you buy then that's all you will get. I bought the progressive industries rv power protection with surge protection. the difference is it shuts your rv down due to an assortment of electrical problem s I researched price and reviews here is where I got mine
http://www.lawrencerv.com/products.asp?cat=13
Your "RV Power Protection with Surge Protection" unit is a "Cadillac" and well worth the money invested to protect your RV. My point, or at least the point I'm trying to make is that it would be "nice" if the dealership or the factory would at least include a Volkswagen ( or YUGO) in the form of at least a "surge protector".... Maybe one that could be upgraded if the owner wished, but at least an "entry level" electrical systems protector should be included with every RV.

It would be better to have "something" rather than to have nothing at all. It would be best to have a complete package, but at least SOMETHING

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
westom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It would be best to have a complete package, but at least SOMETHING
No complete package exists. As noted previously, "surge protector" is a moniker for numerous and different devices and anomalies.

A recommendation or selection requires defining each specific anomaly. Then learning if that anomaly is addressed by that particular device also called a surge protector. Even a knot in a wire is a surge protector. All depends on which anomaly is being addressed and by how much (which means numbers).

Some better 'protectors' also costs less money. Since so many assume the box solves all anomalies and ignore all numbers but a dollar one.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #15
Bob Landry

The reason most "surge protectors" do no address a safety ground issue is that while it is certainly necessary as well as beneficial for personal safety, it has nothing to do with the operation of electronic or electrical equipment. So, before the armchair engineers jump in, I'm referring to how it applies to RV and household equipment and appliances. Houses were wired for many years using nothing but a hot and neutral.
As far as RV protection, the Progressive Industries version probably provides the most for the least. It protects against high voltage, low voltage, excess current, open neutral, and revers polarity, the things most likely to damage equipment. There are units that actually manage the electrical system and will start shedding loads as the voltage decreases. The extra expense associated with that is the choice of the owner, and my preference would be to shut everything down in the event of a severe reduction in power.

Plug in and hard wired are also options. The plug in models are usually surge protect only, and while better than nothing, I would prefer more. A hard wired unit will provide a wider variance of protection, and is not going to grow feet while you are off on a day hike.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 10-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
cabinfever

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...r-portable.htm

This is the one we purchased. I like the features of this one for the cost. In our first year with the TT it shut the power off twice, one time each at a state and private facility. Both times for under volt. I have lost some things at home due to under volt before. Two items lost you would never think, a rechargeable lantern and a charger for black and decker 18v batteries. Those two had small circuit boards that were junked by the under volt.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
a&j

Thanks for the advice! I went to our local camping world and bought the "TRC" model 34560 for $340. It's the hardwire one...now I have to find the place to install it....any advice?? My trailer is the Raptor 300MP the fuse panel is in the main living under the T.V. and I'm assuming the power cord is behind the panel.
a&j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
Bob Landry

It varies from trailer to trailer. If it does not come in right at the breaker panel, then it most likely comes into a cabinet and then feeds the power panel with the appropriate size wire. It's not hard to figure out. You may have to remove a cover or something, but it's not rocket science taking these trailers apart.
Mine came in the rear of the trailer under a table that is between the two recliners. I wired my EMS there and while I was at it, I put it in using interlocking power plugs, so if it needed to be removed, I could restore my shore power without having to do a major wiring job.

The EMS should be inserted into the system as close to where the shore power comes in as possible.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 10-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #19
abneynormal

Btw

for my progressive industries power protector with surge , high voltage, low voltage, broken ground/neutral shut off. it cost me under $350.00. a fridge or ac is over a grand to replace. I also love the remote digital display. it tells me the voltage, amp draw, and hertz of each line as well as error codes. its the best Christmas present we've ever gotten our TH.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
Nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by abneynormal View Post
for my progressive industries power protector with surge , high voltage, low voltage, broken ground/neutral shut off. it cost me under $350.00. a fridge or ac is over a grand to replace. I also love the remote digital display. it tells me the voltage, amp draw, and hertz of each line as well as error codes. its the best Christmas present we've ever gotten our TH.
I installed the hardwired version of the above with the remote display. Another bonus I found is that I can see the increased current draw of the hot water heater. So when I see the current drop down lower I know the element in the hot water heater has been turned off by the water reaching the set temperature. Now I know when it is ready for me to take a shower!

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate, B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote