Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
2011 keystone

A sad day

Just got done putting in the pink stuff northern WV is getting cold. Winter did not seem so bad before I started camping. Cant wait till may first camping trip already planned.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
wozzukes

Winter hit us before we even had a chance to put in the pink stuff here in PA! We've been without power most of the day and it doesn't look like we'll be getting it back any time soon! Had to break out the old Coleman camp stove to make some dinner, so I guess we kind of have the camping effect going on, haha!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
jq1031

Putting the RV away for the season is always a downer! Living in Florida we start using it now as the humidity is gone along with the bugs. A reverse of seasons I guess. The best part is the looking forward to the next trip!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Bob Landry

Tomorrow wraps up a week in an Arkansas Stae Park. We have reservations in another one for Thanksgiving. My camping season starts when Summer goes away.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:36 AM   #5
cumminsdad08

well at least you all have your trailer. we got kicked off the mountain by a foot of snow!!! i had to leave it there in a clearing, and it took every bit of skill and ability of my truck to get it out in the open. we were ok when it was starting to snow. even made a snowman. but sitting in the trailer watching a movie and hearing large chunks of snow falling off the branches, i got a little nervous and geared up to go outside and clean off the awning and slide(which was done about every 15 min), and a very large branch fell right inbetween the sites on the road. wow, ok, i guess that decision just got a little easier. so i fired up the truck, told the wife to pack up. went out and had to use the truck to pull the branch off the road. with in the hour we were pulled out. and good thing, a large branch was ready to come down right over the trailer and my truck. so i run down the mountain with my tail between my legs, but i will be back to fight another day. i didn't care about the trailer and truck, but being stuck up there with out heat and shelter, with no one to come and get us. you know it stinks being that "guy with the big truck", who do i call for help?

but we are home, safe. little one sleeping on my lap now. in a few hours i am going to head back up and see if i can get her home to dump some antifreeze in her wish me some luck.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:53 AM   #6
wrighfr58

Safe Travels..It's unbelieveable the storm totals so early.

2008 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.4L Diesel
wrighfr58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
cumminsdad08

i couldn't imagine how fast it accumalated. i was figureing on an inch or two, even in the hills, but it just wouldn't stop. with all the leaves up yet, i didn't think that trees could bend that far. i grew up and spent a lot of time in the hills where we were camping, and i never saw anything like that this early in the season. there have sure been a lot of weird wether lately. you never know what the next day is going to be. oh well, i think the only thing that we didn't camp in this year, was the hurrican. we had floods, heat, rain, cold, and now snow. what a rookie year. how did you make out in virgina. i was down that way on thursday for work, stanley, and it got cold real quick in the morning.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Old 10-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #8
cumminsdad08

the first picture is around 10:00 am the second was around lunch, and the third was around 1:30-2:00 PM. there was sevral more inch's till we left, but didn't really get any good pictures of it, it was getting dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper snow 1_edited-1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	697   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper snowball.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	698   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper snowman.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	699  
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Old 10-31-2011, 05:52 AM   #9
wozzukes

Where were you camping at? We had a little over a foot at our house. Were without power for about 36 hours. Finally got that back but still no cable or internet since a tree limb took out the line - ripped it straight out of the pole! No estimate on when they may get to repairing it. We have lots of branches and limbs to clean up, but luckily no apparent damage to the 5ver, at least not that we can see! I think we will be winterizing next weekend....
Old 10-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

Be safe on your trip out. We were camping in the storm in upstate ney york. Sure was pretty, we never lost power. Got it winterized on sunday but decided to leave her at the site till next weeked. We dodged the downed trees back to connecticut. Now i wish i was back at the camper. Home looks like a wasteland no power or water. Bettween ireen and this my generator is gonna kill me hasn't worked this hard in years. A hot shower sure would be nice.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
cumminsdad08

we were staying at eagles peak, up on the hill in the woods. awsome place. been there 3 times this year. it is STILL in the clearing. we went up sunday afternoon to pick her up, but the clearing turned into a swamp and i could hardly get the truck around in it. so it is sitting there. the batt. was about dead at that point, so i shut it down and turned off the gas and i am praying that it is ok. it got really cold, mid 20's last night. i am actually hoping that the snow helped insulate it some. i plan on getting it back on thursday, hopefully. i have untill saturday at 6, then it is stuck till spring,(the owners run away for the winter). other problem i got is they shut down the water and sewer, and my tanks got some stuff in it. so i am actually hoping to get into a campground in lickdale that is open all year next weekend to get it "cleaned out". we will see.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Old 10-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
W5WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsdad08 View Post
we were staying at eagles peak, up on the hill in the woods. awsome place. been there 3 times this year. it is STILL in the clearing. we went up sunday afternoon to pick her up, but the clearing turned into a swamp and i could hardly get the truck around in it. so it is sitting there. the batt. was about dead at that point, so i shut it down and turned off the gas and i am praying that it is ok. it got really cold, mid 20's last night. i am actually hoping that the snow helped insulate it some. i plan on getting it back on thursday, hopefully. i have untill saturday at 6, then it is stuck till spring,(the owners run away for the winter). other problem i got is they shut down the water and sewer, and my tanks got some stuff in it. so i am actually hoping to get into a campground in lickdale that is open all year next weekend to get it "cleaned out". we will see.
Good luck getting it winterized and cleaned out. Busted pipes, regardless of which ones, are a real pain to deal with.
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:09 AM   #13
wozzukes

Yikes, I hope all is ok with it! Eagle's Peak isn't all that far from where my parents and grandmother live. My grandmother is still without power. They've been told not to expect it until at least Friday so she's been living with my parents since Saturday.

We were going to try to get out this weekend for one last trip, but I think we will just winterize instead. It's been getting way too cold overnight so it's time to just break out the pink stuff. Winter came way too fast this year!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #14
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzukes View Post
Yikes, Winter came way too fast this year!
I'll drink to that! But then , I'll drink to anything. Looks like a lot of folks will be having "Pink Stuff" parties this weekend.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #15
28Bunkhouse

Stuck in the snow

Sorry to hear about you having to abandon your TT, I have a similar trailer and tow vehicle. My wife gave me flack about buying a new winch mount for my 12,000 lb Warn. I will let her know it won't be wasted in a situation such as yours, as we live in the "Great White North."
Good Luck!

2011 Springdale 281

2003.5 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins

Rear air bag assist

Northern British Columbia, Canada
28Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
2011 keystone

Hey hankpage we realy need to hit the same CG sometime I like the way you think
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
cumminsdad08

got it home today. they only got power as i was pulling in. everything seemed ok with it, so far. we are actually going to head out to the KOA in pinegrove this weekend. i want to see and make sure that all the plumbing is ok. i heard they want it to be nice this coming weekend. i think you should head out if you can. i am sure where we are heading has plenty of spots left over. i will most likely end up having the "pink party" sunday afternoon. but thats ok. lots of stress the past month with it, looking forward to a little time off, just not sure if i am looking forward to 6 months of cold, wet, darkness. now that i think about it, the camping stress isn't too bad
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Old 11-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #18
wozzukes

A bad/stressful camping trip still beats a good day at work, especially in the middle of winter! If we didn't have so much work to do at home, which has now been added too with all the tree cleanup we have to do, we would certainly be out this weekend! Instead we will be having a huge bon fire in the backyard to get rid of all of the limbs on the ground. Maybe we'll just have to sleep in the camper and pretend that we're somewhere nice
Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
SAABDOCTOR

WOW GLAD YOU GOT IT OUT! WE HAD OUR PINK PARTY DURING THE STORM. THE CAMPGROUND SAID WE COULD LEAVE IT THERE. EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE NOW CLOSED. NEVER WOULD HAVE MADE IT HOME WITH IT. OUR STREET WAS CLOSED WHEN WE CAME HOME. IMAGIN HAVING TO ABANDON 38 FT ON A SMALL TOWN ROAD. WE ARE GOING TO GO UP SUNDAY AND GET IT IF THE PATHWAYS ARE CLEAR. WE JUST GOT POWER BACK TODAY
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

On our news today at noon, there was a report of places in the north east without power and estimates of not being repaired until the 7th. That would be nearly 10 days without power. Glad you're more fortunate than that, but still know those without power are feeling pretty "gritty" about now. Hopefully you can get your trailer back home and put away before the next storm heads that way.

We put ours into indoor storage this year because we may want to head south in Jan/Feb. Covering it in the yard just doesn't cut it, ever try to chip a canvas cover off a frozen roof??? LOL Anyway, we put it to bed about 2 weeks ago. I've wondered if maybe we could have gotten another couple of weeks camping before the "drop dead storage date" but after hearing your trials and tribulations, I'm more inclined to think we may have made the right choice. Weather in the northern tier is just not that predictable as we find out time and time again.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote