Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
jq1031

"on the road again"

First major trip with the Laredo. Leaving Sunday AM from Venice, FL for the first leg of our trip to Cape Cod, MA. & then onto Bar Harbor, Maine, spending about three weeks there & getting there. Never towed around Baltimore, NYC, Boston, so I'm a little apprensive, BUT, I've towed through Atlanta, GA & San Antonio, TX & even the Las Vegas strip, so I guess the unknown plays a few mind games with the driver. Anybody pulled through the NYC area?
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Outbackmel

NYC Area towing

While I have not pulled an RV in that area; I have pulled large cargo trailers and open bed, 2 huge motorcycle haulers....like any major city (and we live in Atlanta) pick your pass through times carefully. Also, in the north there are many more "potholes", albeit not as bad as PA, but just be aware the rough winters play havoc on the concrete. One last bit of caution; watch out for "junk" lying in the roadway that could puncture a tire. They simply do not clean the thruways up there as well as the south.

Having said that, bottom line: common sense; plan for traffic and you will enjoy yourself. Like Atlanta traffic; just pick your lane and do your thing.

My wife and I both have big motorcycles and at age 65+would not hesitate to jump on and ride that route. Certainly sitting in an air conditioned truck won't be any problem. It's beautiful up there this time of year.

Be safe...
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
First major trip with the Laredo. Leaving Sunday AM from Venice, FL for the first leg of our trip to Cape Cod, MA. & then onto Bar Harbor, Maine, spending about three weeks there & getting there. Never towed around Baltimore, NYC, Boston, so I'm a little apprensive, BUT, I've towed through Atlanta, GA & San Antonio, TX & even the Las Vegas strip, so I guess the unknown plays a few mind games with the driver. Anybody pulled through the NYC area?
To by-pass Baltimore take the I695W loop towards Towson(spelling) avoid the Eastern loop. When we head South or return, we try to go from Jersey to Richmond at night ( Fri. and Sat. best) When coming North if we are early we rest in the FlyingJ in Carmel Church, Va. and leave there around 8 or 9 pm with little traffic. Be prepared to pay some big tolls with those extra axles. Have a safe trip and enjoy OUR warm weather, Hank ..... almost squeeked out 100° today and it's not summer yet.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
hankaye

jq1031, Howdy;

Biggest chunk of advise is to STAY OFF OF PARKWAYS!!!
They have LOW overpasses. Semis and other HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES ARE PROHIBITED! RV's qualify as High profile vehicles... The fines are very stiff and the cost to replace the roof of your RV would be large as well.
Unless you think the idea of a convertable RV is cool?

Going North on I-95 Go East around D.C. then Go WEST around Baltimore. The East side has a tunnel and NO PROPANE TANKS ALLOWED!!!
You'll pay tolls to cross the Susquehanna River, and all of Delaware (short ride). Then again in N.J. and on an off again all thru the Northeast.....

If you don't want to go thru the Bronx (I-95N and George Washinton Bridge), find a way to get to I-287 (Tappan Zee bridge). That will take you over the top of NYC and rejoin I-95N about 1 mile from Ct. It's only approx. 15 miles longer but it saves years of stress.

If you want more scenic, then when you find I-287N take it to I-87N (N.Y. State Thru-Way), You could take I-84E thru Ct. and connect you with I-90E at Sturbridge, Mass. Or go further North to I-90E (turns into the Mass. Turnpike, more costly), to Boston. Then take either I-495N or get closer to Boston then take I-295N. They both rejoin I-95N just South of N.H.

Just a few thoughts to consider...

hankaye

Yes, I drove semi's thru there, ....... numerious times.

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:25 AM   #5
Jeffrey11

Here is is what we do. 95 North to VA then we take either a scenic route or 64 toward VA beach (yes there is traffic but not bad if not rush hour) Holiday Trav-l Park good place to stay. Take Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to RT 13 (Traffic lights in small towns easy fuel easy drive. Take all the way to RT 1 you get on this near Dover and follow back to 95 (exit 4 on 95) Delaware - go over Delaware Memorial Bridge. Take NJ Turnpike at this point southern NJ / NY you can go 2 ways George Washington Bridge or Go to 17 to 287 over Tappenzee Bridge to 684 to CT 84 all the way to MA and then 90 East to 495 towards the Cape. If you need more specifics ping me.
Jeffrey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Joe, Just another suggestion ..... Pick up an EZ-PASS (not enough time for mail but I think they are available at rest areas from Maryland North) The express lanes are great, the tolls can wipe out your cash and your Sun-pass is not accepted. Some tolls are only paid one way, but are over $20 and can come as a big shock to folks that are used to Freeways. Sounds like a great trip. Have fun and be safe, Hank
Old 06-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
jq1031

Well I chickened out!..................cut over to I-81 going through PA & around the big cities. Presently in Hagerstown. PA tomorrow & on to Gettysburg (side trip) before continuing on towards the Tapanzee Bridge. Laredo is towing like a dream, Sierra is without a doubt a "kick ***" truck. Having fun 1100 miles under the belt..
Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
The Sod Father

Gettysburg is a very cool destination. BTW - as a lifelong Pennsylvania resident, I will caution you on two things as you drive through our lovely commonwealth - pot holes and hills. The state is nearly broke, so potholes are not getting filled as well and as frequently as they should. We are talking bone jarring, tire eating canyons. Use caution.

The hills will give your truck a run for the money, but it should be fairly effortless for the Duramax/Allison combo. Just know you may end up being stuck behind some doofus slowing down traffic towing a 35' TT with a gas powered Expedition.

Finally, if you need to fuel up, try to do so in NJ. Fuel is usually about 5-10 cents less in the Garden State.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
hankaye

jq1031, Howdy;

That ain't chickenin' out ...it's takin' the secinic rout...LOL

Just remember that the only free (no tolls), way OUT of N.J. is on the I-95 bridge (Scudder's Falls). At least that was the last time I was there (2002). It's 2.5 miles from where I grew-up.

If you get off the main hiways in Pa. remember they haven't widened them since they built them for 2 ox carts to pass each other...LOL .

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Well I chickened out!..................cut over to I-81 going through PA & around the big cities. Presently in Hagerstown. PA tomorrow & on to Gettysburg (side trip) before continuing on towards the Tapanzee Bridge. Laredo is towing like a dream, Sierra is without a doubt a "kick ***" truck. Having fun 1100 miles under the belt..

OH! MAN! Jersey's goin' broke too. We were counting on your toll money so we could keep the lights on.
All kidding aside, the Gettysburg area is filled with many beautiful and historic sites. Enjoy your trip and travel safely, Hank

We used to have cheapest fuel but lately Va. and Ga. have had cheaper Diesel prices. And remember "Jersey girls don't pump gas" or diesel for that matter.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
The Sod Father

You win - Jersey IS more broke than PA. By about $4.35
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:38 AM   #12
jq1031

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sod Father View Post
Gettysburg is a very cool destination. BTW - as a lifelong Pennsylvania resident, I will caution you on two things as you drive through our lovely commonwealth - pot holes and hills. The state is nearly broke, so potholes are not getting filled as well and as frequently as they should. We are talking bone jarring, tire eating canyons. Use caution.

The hills will give your truck a run for the money, but it should be fairly effortless for the Duramax/Allison combo. Just know you may end up being stuck behind some doofus slowing down traffic towing a 35' TT with a gas powered Expedition.

Finally, if you need to fuel up, try to do so in NJ. Fuel is usually about 5-10 cents less in the Garden State.
You are absolutely right about the pot holes as I spent part of yesterday jockeying around them. The hills are no problem & the countryside makes for a great travel experience. Growing up in the Buffalo area I spent alot of time in Penna, as I went to Gannon College in Erie and experienced much of this beautiful state over the past 50 years.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:51 AM   #13
wozzukes

Ditto on the PA potholes. The worst we've come across is the ramp going from 81S to 309S south of the Hazelton area. Talk about being tossed around, and there's no way of avoiding them! I wouldn't be surprised if the earth just opened up and swallowed that ramp one of these days!

Good luck on your journey. The one and only time I've been to Maine the worst part of the trip was through CT. The traffic was AWFUL. Maine was beautiful though, and we would love to go back, as we were only there for a few days for a wedding and didn't get to see/do a whole lot. Enjoy the trip!
Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #14
jq1031

Smile

Arrived in Bar Harbor, ME. this afternoon, here through the 4th of July. So far the trip has been alot of fun, stopping in Cape Cod for a week after a few days in Gettysburg. The diesel prices are around $4 a gallon along the east coast, take or give 10 or 20 cents a gallon depending on the state. The GMC Sierra & the Laredo TT have performed without a flaw. After almost buying a Jayco product I'm extremely pleased with my Keystone Laredo, after the initial bugs, nothing is malfunctioning, nothing!. After the 4th on to the Jersey shore.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
After the 4th on to the Jersey shore.

Glad your having a great trip ..... I'll keep the lights on.