Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Ruffus

Unhappy Can You Tell Me Why???

Can anyone tell me why campers and Rv'ers say that they enjoy their camping and travels yet once they get there they find it neccessary to leave their porch and scare lights on all night to shine in their neighbors bedroom window or play their music loud enough to wake the dead while they sit by a campfire supposedly to watch the stars and experiance nature? Are they just idiots or affraid of the dark? Please someone tell me why?????? #1 or #2 ???

Please think about others!!!!
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
antiqfreq

Oh we figured out during our fulltime travels that they aren't 'really' campers because they ARE afraid of the dark.....

It IS annoying and once or twice we have countered with our scare lights on the next night for a few hours but those dense enough to do it the first time don't really get the hint........

oh well!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
chuck&gail

Inconsiderate idiots are everywhere, including campgrounds.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
Ruffus

Smile Lottery Tickey

Got up this morning at 5:00 AM and went out to check the area. There were 38 campers/RV'ers in the camp ground and the only one with their scare light or porch light on were the one parked next to my bedroom window. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket today, must going to be my lucky day. Oh yeh the DW wouldn't let me go next door last night and ask them nicely to turn the $%#@&%$ light off. Oh well, another beautiful day even though the sun is not going to shine and we'll be back on the road heading North East from a nice little RV park in an old hay field in Liberal Kansas. See my review in the campground section.
Happy motoring yall.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
THedges

That's the reason we boondock! My perfect camping spot is one where I can't see another camp site. The problem we come across is people who leave trash all over the forest! Very frustrating!!!!
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:46 AM   #6
mikell

In our campground we have 100 spots and over 30 lights on poles and if even 1 is out people have a fit. Some want quiet and dark but most want the city life it looks like to me
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
campingcpl

We agree with everyone so far! We leave our outside light on when we are outside at night (just an amber light or the awning lights) but always turn them off when we go in for the night. We also have outside stereo speakers and we like to listen to music while sitting around the camp fire but just have it loud enough for us to hear (if you can hear it outside your own campsite then it's to loud). We have always tried to practice common courtesy and really hate the people that don't. It seems like more and more people only think of one thing anymore and that is "THEMSELVES". You see it more and more, specially in the younger generations now days. What has happen to people that they can't use common courtesy or even manors for that? Is it that hard to say excuse me, thank you, your welcome, please, etc.? What has happen to the days where people actually cared about other people? I was in a retail store a couple of weeks ago and saw and elderly couple (he was in a wheel chair) and his wife was trying to get him out the doors. Two younger people walked up to the door as they where getting ready to head out the door. The younger people walked right in and never offered to hold the door but made the time to give them dirty looks for blocking the door. I was behind the older couple and I told her to allow me to get the door for them. I opened the one and then opened the other for them and then asked if they needed anymore help. They said thank you but they could manage. The gentlman in the wheel chair looked at me and said you are an Angle. I smiled and thanked him for the kind words and I got to tell you it really made me feel good and I'm sure it made them feel better that someone was willing to take the time to help them. I'm sorry for a long post and for getting on my soap box but this is a subject that really gets my wife and I on edge. We have 3 kids ranging from 16 to 21 and we have always practiced one common rule with them "treat others the way you would want them to treat you"!

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
kenn209

Maybe their not schooled in campground etiquette? What get's me is the people (mostly kids) who think they can ride their bikes through my site. Then when you get on them for doing it the give you the dirty looks.

Last time out we had another camper who were drinking and carrying on, You could hear their music real loud, and the cell phone ringing and her conversation about what was for dinner and how drunk she was, and somebody ahd bring her some smokes!! Thank god they passed out early. And this was a state park!! They left the next morning!!
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #9
Mr. Dan

A trend we've been seeing lately is the use of yards and yards of rope lights. People in campgrounds around Lake Texoma on the Texas/Oklahoma border have started hanging these lights on all the trees, the picnic table, their trailer awnings, clotheslines, lantern poles, etc. They are using all colors. In areas with widely spaced sites, you can still read the newspaper using only their light pollution. They leave these lights on around the clock... which may explain why site costs are rising for the rest of us!

Also, we had a monster sized motor home playing irritating music - and very loud - into the night. I knocked on their door but no one answered. I finally decided they didn't know their outside speakers were on and were sound asleep. I left a note on their door the next day and had no further trouble.
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
A trend we've been seeing lately is the use of yards and yards of rope lights. People in campgrounds around Lake Texoma on the Texas/Oklahoma border have started hanging these lights on all the trees, the picnic table, their trailer awnings, clotheslines, lantern poles, etc. They are using all colors. In areas with widely spaced sites, you can still read the newspaper using only their light pollution. They leave these lights on around the clock... which may explain why site costs are rising for the rest of us!

Also, we had a monster sized motor home playing irritating music - and very loud - into the night. I knocked on their door but no one answered. I finally decided they didn't know their outside speakers were on and were sound asleep. I left a note on their door the next day and had no further trouble.
We keep our lights to a minimum. It's just enough to light up under the awning which is 20ft and doesn't light up the neighboring sites. As for the music, we were in a state park just this last summer and there was a group camping in tents about 5 or 6 sites down from us and they had a booming car stereo that we could hear plain as day while sitting in our trailer with the A/C on and the TV going. The park rangers came around and asked them to turn it down once and then a few hours of drinking it went right back up and the park rangers came back and made them pack up and leave. I wish more of the parks and campgrounds would inforce their rules.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #11
gkainz

and my wife can't understand why I prefer boondocking. 1 to 3 miles separation between campsites works for me.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
Outbackmel

More lights and music.....yeeeeeaaaahhhhh

We just returned from Rock Crusher Canyon RV Park in Crystal River, FL. Our neighbors had a small rv and a screen tent...had total disregard for others. Loud TV outside constanty. They are everywhere We survived
We just think of each trip as an "adventure". 7 years ago, we camped in our self made 2 motorcycle toy hauler. They put us at the back of the property with the "Beverly Hillbillys" next door. (only an older motorhome). Screaming; verbal family infighting; Grandma drinking "long necks" at 9am and tossing bottles in our site. 2 little yapping dogs that pooped all over the place... after falling asleep at 1am; after all the drunks passed out; woke at 7am. Wife said "good morning", went out to get the sun in her eyes; immediately "screamed" from stepping in a fresh pile of doggie doo...LAUGHED UNTIL WE CRIED; then moved on....OHHHH, joys of the great outdoors
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
HigginsPod

Lights!

I put room darkening curtains in the bedroom. I find I wake up in the middle of the night and want to look outside and it is easier than lifting the shade. If there is light .... between the shade and the curtains it is blocked
2010 Chevy HD Silverado
HigginsPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 11:43 AM   #14
KenJFerguson

We are at Lake Hartwell State Park for the weekend which has 25 sites ringing a peninsula jutting out into the lake. There is a mix of TTs (including a couple of vintage trailers), tents, pop-ups, and fifth wheels. For some reason, every one of the modern fifth wheels has vertical strips of fluorescent purple/blue lights running down their front domes that stay on 24/7. Unfortunately, we are surrounded by 4 of these at the start of the thin end of the loop making it like some weird combination of Las Vegas and a country bar at night. Our pull-down shades are no match for this light pollution that affects our sleep. We'll be stopping by the office on the way out to suggest they add a dark sky policy to their 10 pm quiet time rule and get the address to write to whichever bureaucrat is in charge of the state park system.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:23 PM   #15
Pull Toy

The beginning of the end was the year some bored rv engineer asked himself…”How many people can we p*ss off by adding outside speakers?” Now it’s pink flamingos, palm trees, scare lights, rope lights and every banner imaginable, etc… etc…

Fortunately, more campgrounds are enforcing a mandatory quiet hour with kids back on site at a reasonable hour, and fires out before bedtime. A few we’ve been to are now limiting light displays and political and/or offensive signage etc.

Now that the “Covid Era Newbees” found out that camping wasn’t for them, and are now selling their units, us old school families can get back to enjoying nature.

Good luck,
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 07:52 AM   #16
KenJFerguson

As we were getting firewood at the office I asked the Ranger if he could guess what it is about 5th wheels that I don't like... he replied... "You must be in site 57 or 58 opposite sites 32, 33, and 34 and their blue LED dome lights are keeping you awake at night."

I suggested that he feed it up the food chain to add a lights-out rule to the quiet time rule. If we all do this we can start a movement.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:43 PM   #17
notanlines

If you think those blue and purple lights are an irritant, y’all should hear this model water heater in our Eagle come on repeatedly in the middle of the night. Fast recovery 50 gallon industrial aren’t as loud. We turn it off Friday and Saturday nights as it has become a joke in our group.
While I’m at this, would it be out of line to simply ask your neighbor to just turn the lights off? IJA
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 12:50 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJFerguson View Post
As we were getting firewood at the office I asked the Ranger if he could guess what it is about 5th wheels that I don't like... he replied... "You must be in site 57 or 58 opposite sites 32, 33, and 34 and their blue LED dome lights are keeping you awake at night."

I suggested that he feed it up the food chain to add a lights-out rule to the quiet time rule. If we all do this we can start a movement.
From your conversation with the ranger, it's apparent that others have already complained about the bright lights. If he is doing his job, then he has already discussed the issue with the occupants of sites 32, 33 and 34.

So now, the issue should be resolved. If not, and the lights are on tonight, then it's apparent those "campers" simply aren't concerned with "rules that only apply to other people, not to themselves"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:26 AM   #19
flyingjack

notanlines: Agree, just ask politely. Usually a favorable outcome.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 08:44 AM   #20
dutchmensport

I've been SCREAMING about outside lights left on all night for years and years and years. It's done nothing but fall on deaf ears too. It almost seems, the bigger the RV the entitled those folks are to display their Las Vegas lights. I don't mind all that stuff turned on IF sitting outside after dark. But once going inside for the night, those lights should ALL be turned off.

This is the biggest reason why I completely enjoy camp hosting at Pilot Mountain State Park in North Carolina. I've been a host there twice and returning next year again. There is no electricity or water or sewer on any campsite, except 1... the host site.

Guess what? It's dark at night .... really, really dark at night. The only lights are campfire lights and maybe battery operated string lights of some sort, an occasional Coleman gas lantern and flashlights. Quiet hours start at 10:00 pm and quiet hours is STRICTLY enforced by the park rangers. If a conversation from any campsite is heard from the road, it's too loud. And yes, the Rangers walk the campground around 10:00 pm every night, in the dark with no flashlights so they can hear and see what's really going on. And yes, they do step up and address those who are too loud.

99% of the time, it's a wonderful night. But, ever now and then a group of clod-hoppers will come in who think rules don't apply to them. And oh, they also call the campers back to clean up their trash and nasty fire pits if they've left a mess, or else face a $300 fine for trashing the place. Guess what? There is very, very little litter ever left behind, maybe a plastic tooth pick floss stick or a gum wrapper, but that's about it.

When we leave that park, we usually stop, at least, for an over night returning home to Indiana. We don't boondock at Wall Marts, but get sites in actual campgrounds. It's always a shock to return to a regular RVing campground that has electricity to see all the scaredy-cats leaving their lights and Las Vegas displays on all night again. Even worse, some campgrounds have street lights. We just pull the shades, spend the night, and get moving again the next morning.

At home, we camp mostly in the middle of the week and avoid week-ends, just so we can experience darkness (minimal campers) at State Parks. I don't fuss and complain about lights at night so much any more, because ... well ... there's just no one else in the campground near us during those times.